Value of: RHD Justin Barron

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I think he does have the offensive skills, the issue is the low IQ in his own end, just makes terrible decisions at times or others a total lack of surroundings as to who and where he can be beat. So the question for me is can his offense make up for his defense?

I personally hate how the Habs have developed him, I just don't understand why they can't leave some of these kids alone and let them cook in the AHL until they show you they can fix their issues before calling them up and hoping they fix them in the toughest league in the world.
I mean less his offensive instincts and more that I feel like his skating will limit him as a puck mover. Great pass, good in the offensive zone but not quick and questionable decision making as you say. And I agree, if they weren't hurting for RD I think he'd have been down sooner but with so many guys passing through waivers throughout the year I wish they just plucked some plug and kept Barron in Laval

Reactions: montreal

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The value of Barron has nothing to do with the performance of Lehkonen.

Barron needs a spot on an NHL team to just be the OFD part of a 3rd pairing. If he can't develop his defensive acumen soon, he'll just be another fringe tweener. He'll probably clear waivers every year for a while to the "surprise" of many in the waiver thread.
I dont think he clears waiver when you have teams like SJ desperate for talent.
I mean less his offensive instincts and more that I feel like his skating will limit him as a puck mover. Great pass, good in the offensive zone but not quick and questionable decision making as you say. And I agree, if they weren't hurting for RD I think he'd have been down sooner but with so many guys passing through waivers throughout the year I wish they just plucked some plug and kept Barron in Laval
I thought he was a great skater.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Ya because everyone knows he would have hit 60pts playing an extra 5min/game with superstars in Danault and Gallagher on the top line.

Lol c'mon man.
Not hard actually especially given more PP1 time and less defensive only deployment. We had Nuke going from 30 points to PPG now in an expanded role.
Danault also literally doubled his career high in goals when he left montreal.

Reactions: Lolonegoal

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Ya because everyone knows he would have hit 60pts playing an extra 5min/game with superstars in Danault and Gallagher on the top line.

Lol c'mon man.
Apparently the Habs misused Lehky by not trading for superstars like Mackinnon, Rantannen or McDavid to play with Lehkonnen. Habs completely missed the boat when they were unable to draft or trade for those guys resulting in Lehkonen's blatant misuse by Habs coaching.

His genius shows no bounds! ;)

Meanwhile, we are in a thread who's subject is Justin Barron! LOL

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Barron is an outstanding skater...it is quite literally his strongest asset.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Apparently the Habs misused Lehky by not trading for superstars like Mackinnon, Rantannen or McDavid to play with Lehkonnen. Habs completely missed the boat when they were unable to draft or trade for those guys resulting in Lehkonen's blatant misuse by Habs coaching.

His genius shows no bounds! ;)

Meanwhile, we are in a thread who's subject is Justin Barron! LOL
Habs developed Lehky into the player he is today. Avs should be grateful

Back to Barron, I would rather him play in the NHL full time next year to see what he got while the kids cook in laval. But we need to open up some space by trading at least one of Kovacevic or Harris.

Reactions: Spirits

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Habs developed Lehky into the player he is today. Avs should be grateful

Back to Barron, I would rather him play in the NHL full time next year to see what he got while the kids cook in laval. But we need to open up some space by trading at least one of Kovacevic or Harris.
Kovacevic for sure will be traded. There will be a market for him due to his league min contract. I think Struble should also be traded to open up spots on the left side.

Harris i don't see getting traded as he can play both left / right side as the #7 guy.

Barron will be given a final chance to nail down a spot at RHD next season. It will be his last opportunity. To me, it comes down to Mailloux vs Barron. Reinbacher should get a full season in Laval next season.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Kovacevic for sure will be traded. There will be a market for him due to his league min contract. I think Struble should also be traded to open up spots on the left side.

Harris i don't see getting traded as he can play both left / right side as the #7 guy.

Barron will be given a final chance to nail down a spot at RHD next season. It will be his last opportunity. To me, it comes down to Mailloux vs Barron. Reinbacher should get a full season in Laval next season.
It would be nice to move Guhle to the left but if habs intend on keeping him at RD next year then they can keep Struble for now and play him 3rd pair and Xhejak getting consistent time in top 4. Both can keep developing. Bring up Barron, Harris as #7 and trade kova.

Barron I really hope he turns it up next year. Would be good for trade bait or if Hugo decides to make him part of their long term plans.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Lehky was worth a 1st + 2nd when he was only a 30-40 pt player, and you think he's worth less now? Interesting take. The trade made sense for both teams at the time, it turned out to work out better for the Avs.

In terms of linemates it's a mix of the Avs top 6, so obviously he benefits from that. But you still need to be skilled enough and have high hockey IQ to play with elite talent. Nobody expects him to drive a line and yes he's a complimentary piece, but there aren't many players like Lehky. If the Avs made him available, teams would be offering more than a late 1st.

Show me how many 60 pt 2-way forwards in their prime that are signed for 3 more years @ $4.5 mil. That's also ignoring his 20 pts in 27 games in the postseason since having an elevated role. He's the type of piece contenders, bubbles teams, and rebuilding teams all covet.
Exactly, the Habs should have waited for a bigger offer. Just like Danault, Monahan, Toffoli and the list goes on, everyone underrates Habs players :nod:

Reactions: Craig Ludwig

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
It would be nice to move Guhle to the left but if habs intend on keeping him at RD next year then they can keep Struble for now and play him 3rd pair and Xhejak getting consistent time in top 4. Both can keep developing. Bring up Barron, Harris as #7 and trade kova.

Barron I really hope he turns it up next year. Would be good for trade bait or if Hugo decides to make him part of their long term plans.
I don't like Guhle on the right side. We are holding him back. When he's on the left side he's driving play. On the right side, he's just coping. They need to trade Struble. Struble has no place on the Habs.

Reactions: viceroy

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Which team needs a RHD prospect, and is ready to Trade a forward prospect in Return?
Habs fan add Picks for a better prospect if needed

Why do you have such a hard on for trading away our very thin NHL proven RD D-core?

I would have asked for more than just barron and a late 2nd round pick for a cost controlled two-way, 60-70 point reg season, playoff proven, special teams stud.

The heck are you on about? The guy never even hit 40 on the Habs, heck he never hit 60 on your Avs.

Barron'll probably clear waivers every year for a while to the "surprise" of many in the waiver thread.

Are you plain silly? He's just 22. He was a 1st rounder. He's an RD. He was pacing for over 30pts in the NHL as a 21yr old. Yeah he'd clear... goof.

I mean less his offensive instincts and more that I feel like his skating will limit him as a puck mover.

His skating's just fine, it's just his decision making that makes him look slow.

Again with people wanting to unload Kovacevic. Our NHL proven RD D-core is Savard, Kovacevic and Barron. That is all. Unless you guys are planning on penciling in Guhle and Harris permanently on the Right side. It's the Left where the cupboards are full. Harris now and Struble soon we have to jettison. We have to prune the Left side people.

Some guys think that Mailloux and Reinbacher are shoe in's for next season. It's a steep step between the AHL/NLA and the NHL. Let's be patient and until then we should keep Kovacevic and Barron until we know for a fact that we'll have 3 capable RD's.

Reactions: Craig Ludwig

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I mean less his offensive instincts and more that I feel like his skating will limit him as a puck mover.

Huh?

Easily his best attribute is his skating. He's an outstanding skater, what about his skating do you think will limit him?

This is a very strange take.

Barron is an outstanding skater...it is quite literally his strongest asset.

Okay, so it's not just me. I had to re-read that part when I saw him claim Barron's skating was an issue.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Habs have the luxury of time with Justin Barron. His value is low and no point trading him when RHD position is of need. He has the tools but low hockey IQ. I believe he is no longer waiver exempt next season so may as well see where he is at during training camp.
Watch the Avs claim him back off waivers. #Wonthetrade :)

Reactions: Spirits

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
He's getting outplayed by Mailloux in Laval and Reinbacher will also probably outplay him when he comes over. I'm not sure why anyone would give up an asset for Barron.
And here I was worried about losing him as an Avalanche fan.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
This is childish. Trades aren't a zero-sum game.

How well Barron does has no impact on how well Colorado did with this deal.
Agreed, also would like to have Barron back to see what we could do with him for what it is worth.

he might bust not a fan of his progress atm but at the time he was viewed as a good prospect

Upon learning of the trade, Crosby said, 'I never would have done this if I were the Avalanche. This kid here, he's a real hockey player. He's ready to play in the NHL and he's going to be a good player." - Sidney Crosby

If Barron doesnt work out for us oh well it could happen with any prospect even the player we would of drafted with that 1st round pick but we all liked the trade at the time so i wont blame Hughes over it
Add to this the rumors that MacKinnon begged the Avalanche to take Barron...

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Big mistake for Hughes. Sakic took him to school. He got a solid player in Lekhonen for peanuts
It was a very good trade for Hughes. Barron was full of potential (~late 1st) and a 2nd for Lehkonen was great value.

It doesn't matter how the player turns out. At the time of the trade it was good value for Lehkonen.

To illustrate the point. If the 2nd round pick turns out to be a superstar, do you declare the Habs won the trade? If the 1st round pick the Habs got for Monahan turns out to be a complete bust, did the Flames win the deal when they capdump'd Monahan?

Reactions: viceroy

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
It was a very good trade for Hughes. Barron was full of potential (~late 1st) and a 2nd for Lehkonen was great value.

It doesn't matter how the player turns out. At the time of the trade it was good value for Lehkonen.

To illustrate the point. If the 2nd round pick turns out to be a superstar, do you declare the Habs won the trade? If the 1st round pick the Habs got for Monahan turns out to be a complete bust, did the Flames win the deal when they capdump'd Monahan?

What if the Avs had a good projection of Barron’s potential struggles?

That kind of supports the point he’s making, no? Wouldn’t this also affect the idea that the Avs still viewed him in terms of draft position?

What’s that line from Rounders? If you walk up to the poker table and don’t recognize the mark, then you are the mark. More and more, it’s starting to seem like the Avs had insight but kept their cards close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad