Value of: RHD Justin Barron

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
What if the Avs had a good projection of Barron’s potential struggles?

That kind of supports the point he’s making, no? Wouldn’t this also affect the idea that the Avs still viewed him in terms of draft position?

What’s that line from Rounders? If you walk up to the poker table and don’t recognize the mark, then you are the mark. More and more, it’s starting to seem like the Avs had insight but kept their cards close.
He was traded in his D+2 season. The book on Barron wasn't written and still isn't written. The 2nd round pick hasn't even been selected yet.

Still is a good deal and the outcome has yet to be decided.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
He was traded in his D+2 season. The book on Barron wasn't written and still isn't written. The 2nd round pick hasn't even been selected yet.

Still is a good deal and the outcome has yet to be decided.

It seems like it was written by the Avs but went unread by the Habs for two years.

The articulate gentleman from Nova Scotia isn’t wrong to have doubts.

And for what it’s worth, I hope Barron pulls through for Montreal. I’d like to see him have a dignified career and not have it finally click when he’s 27 and with his 5th franchise. But truth be told, a lot of his complained about flaws now, were discussed on HFAvs around the time he was traded.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Big mistake for Hughes. Sakic took him to school. He got a solid player in Lekhonen for peanuts
If you're comfortable stating that so definitevely right now..... if that 2nd round pick turns into the next Brayden Point or PK Subban, then is't a steal for Montreal?

Or.... is it that you can only rate trades based on known information at the time?

If I sell you something for a 20$ bill and use that bill to buy a winning lottery ticket, did I swindle you?

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The problem with Barron is that he has a freight train behind him.

20 year old Mailloux is third in the AHL in scoring and Reinbacher is start to his pro career and looks great. Unless Barron finds another level, he's likely to be run over.

So maybe it's best to trade him now for equivilant forward prospect or package him.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
It seems like it was written by the Avs but went unread by the Habs for two years.

And for what it’s worth, I hope Barron pulls through for Montreal. I’d like to see him have a dignified career and not have it finally click when he’s 27 and with his 5th franchise. But truth be told, a lot of his complained about flaws now, were discussed on HFAvs around the time he was traded.
It was too early for a book to be written on a 20 / 21 year old. This isn’t like the idiotic trade for RyJo who’s book was already written and closed. lol

Reactions: viceroy and HabsQC

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Avs fans are the smartest fans on the planet.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Avs fans? Were’nt we talking about mgt decisions? Try to keep up at least.

Why are you even interjecting yourself into this conversation, McSwept?
Its not just you John. So many Avs posters are unbearable.

I'm primarily a Habs fan. But I also enjoy watching McSwept. Almost as much as I enjoyed the Avalanche getting beat by an expansion team last spring.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
It was a very good trade for Hughes. Barron was full of potential (~late 1st) and a 2nd for Lehkonen was great value.

It doesn't matter how the player turns out. At the time of the trade it was good value for Lehkonen.

To illustrate the point. If the 2nd round pick turns out to be a superstar, do you declare the Habs won the trade? If the 1st round pick the Habs got for Monahan turns out to be a complete bust, did the Flames win the deal when they capdump'd Monahan?
That is wierd way to judge GMs. Do you also judge drafting based on performance before draft or contracts based on pre signing performance.
I judge GMs by ability to predict future.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yep they have a crystal ball that determines the fate of 20 year old players. It just doesn’t work for 30 year olds like RyJo! lol
Also the Avs management knew full well that Barron would disappoint which is why they drafted him in the 1st round less than 2 years before the trade.

Reactions: viceroy

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Also the Avs management knew full well that Barron would disappoint which is why they drafted him in the 1st round less than 2 years before the trade.
AVS first round picks being trash is a pretty solid bet though. That's why they saw trading 15oa newhook for 2x30ish picks as a win. Then smartly flipped those picks for 2c Russ Colton

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Mailloux and Reinabcher have never set foot in the NHL. Strubble is not nearly as good a puck mover as Barron.
A trade for someone like Kaliyev might be the answer....give or take.

A very young and serviceable defenseman AND that's proven in the NHL. Our other two young RHD may have a higher potential but until it's proven on the ice in the NHL, it's still just "potential".

We have time unless there is a trade to be made out there.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
General rule for other GMs should be not to trade for prospects drafted by Avs.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Are you plain silly? He's just 22. He was a 1st rounder. He's an RD. He was pacing for over 30pts in the NHL as a 21yr old. Yeah he'd clear... goof.
Goof is leaving out the context of what I said which was
"Barron needs a spot on an NHL team to just be the OFD part of a 3rd pairing. If he can't develop his defensive acumen soon, he'll just be another fringe tweener. He'll probably clear waivers every year for a while to the "surprise" of many in the waiver thread."

But you go on rockstar

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
How about Olausson for Barron?
I don't know the intangibles on Olausson but he's scoring at .500 pace in the AHL so there is a question mark there.

Plus I don't trust Euros because going back to play in Europe is an easy option for them if they don't make it in the AHL and obviously the NHL.

Barron is not a top 4 and he may or may never be a top 4, but he's still an young player in the NHL on the development upswing. AND a rarer commodity being a RHD.

I can't argue definitively but the values seem to be off.

kent hughes carried 3 goalies for five full months, because he didn't want to lose cayden primeau, who is much lesser prospect than barron. no way he waives barron, at least next season.
That's Hughes history including not trading Savard. He get's what he wants or it's plan B.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
AVS first round picks being trash is a pretty solid bet though. That's why they saw trading 15oa newhook for 2x30ish picks as a win. Then smartly flipped those picks for 2c Russ Colton
Honestly, the Avs should probably just turn it all over to their pro-scouts to take advantage of others in trades than their amateur scouts. Oh well, its better to have one side being great than neither like the habs.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
I don't know the intangibles on Olausson but he's scoring at .500 pace in the AHL so there is a question mark there.

Plus I don't trust Euros because going back to play in Europe is an easy option for them if they don't make it in the AHL and obviously the NHL.

Barron is not a top 4 and he may or may never be a top 4, but he's still an young player in the NHL on the development upswing. AND a rarer commodity being a RHD.

I can't argue definitively but the values seem to be off.

That's Hughes history including not trading Savard. He get's what he wants or it's plan B.
Is Laval now IN the NHL?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
That is wierd way to judge GMs. Do you also judge drafting based on performance before draft or contracts based on pre signing performance.
I judge GMs by ability to predict future.
Player development is one aspect. Hughes made a great trade by netting a 1st for Monahan. Now if that 1st ends up a bust, did he lose that trade?

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Could we just stfu with Lekhonen and go on with the thread plz?

I love Lekhonen, but he ain't a Habs anymore.

So, anyone want to give a try to Barron, and if so, what's your offer?

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Player development is one aspect. Hughes made a great trade by netting a 1st for Monahan. Now if that 1st ends up a bust, did he lose that trade?
You cant really lose a trade while getting rid of UFA as tanking team. I would not call it win in that scenario though.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Its not just you John. So many Avs posters are unbearable.

I'm primarily a Habs fan. But I also enjoy watching McSwept. Almost as much as I enjoyed the Avalanche getting beat by an expansion team last spring.

Ha ha. Last year saved wear and tear. So thats not the dig that you think it is.

1993 though. How does that feel?

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018

5. Michkov
6. Ritchie

33. Reinbacher

Montreal ouch.

Reactions: dirtydanglez

TheViperOne

Jul 26, 2005
Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca