Player Discussion Marner talk - daily repetition version.

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Not any more. This actually insults the fans. They are not nearly this stupid.
Don't be too sure. I've thought for years that it's completely ridiculous to post "super crazy elite" every time the kid has a good regular season game yet it's always happened. And when someone has the temerity to mention that playoffs are what matters they get the "why do you have to be so miserable" and "bunch of Eeyores around here" routine.

100%

I can also see him putting up another 1G 2A 3P in a first round exit. Why are we still talking about the regular season

Marner isn’t made to play playoff hockey at a first line level. He had one fluke run last year and one actual good series against Boston in 2018. Apart from that he’s been awful.

Everyone saying if we get rid of Marner, then we’d have to fill a Marner sized hole isn’t getting the problem with Marner. Come playoff time, that hole isn’t big.

Let’s see, a pp player, a guy who routinely helps us get shutdown in the regular season and helps run a ~15% pp over his time here in the playoffs, I think a normal second liner making 5-6 can do that

Next up, a pk and defensive cog player who had helped us get a ~70% against Boston..I think another dewar type player can do that, so 950k

Next up, a great even strength producer, who gives us 2-3 even strength points in a series….I think another second liner making 5-6 could do that, maybe the same one as above

Marner doesn’t create a huge hole for us in the playoffs, he’s consistently been a middle six player with his play and results.
This is where I'm at as well. I've been saying for years that I don't care if Marner gets 120 regular season points or 70, just bring it in the playoffs. I

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
They should start searching the short buses now for that guy that threw the waffles.
Put him on standby.
The last I seen of him, he was wearing a yellow hoodie…..

In Toronto we ban fans .. in Vancouver … they give them season tickets.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Sorry, I don't get the reference.
IMG_0045.jpeg
IMG_0044.jpeg

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Canes and Rangers are soft compared to Leafs and Bruins.

Still pissed at this guy but at the same time it's obvious to me he'd rack up points away from Bruins or panthers.

Round 1 and 2 is the issue. Round 3 and 4 is the cake walk for Marner. Weird thing to say but those who follow Atlantic format understand it.

Need to figure out how to get this guy to round 3 so he can help carry us from there

The Leafs also get stuck with the 2-3 Atlantic Division matchups cause they sleepwalk to start every season, with Marner looking like an OHL call up before he revs it up. Imagine if the Leafs actually put in the work to win a first place motivated to play a wild card team like Washington with home ice advantage.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The Leafs also get stuck with the 2-3 Atlantic Division matchups cause they sleepwalk to start every season, with Marner looking like an OHL call up before he revs it up. Imagine if the Leafs actually put in the work to win a first place motivated to play a wild card team like Washington with home ice advantage.
This is one of the big "culture changes" I'm hoping comes with a new head coach - their slow starts go all the way back to Babcock - hoping the new guy, whoever it might be, can inject some fire into their bellies right out the gate.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
This is one of the big "culture changes" I'm hoping comes with a new head coach - their slow starts go all the way back to Babcock - hoping the new guy, whoever it might be, can inject some fire into their bellies right out the gate.
IT starts with players, do they show up in great shape and ready to go or just in shape and looking to work to game shape.
Nucks had a great start this past season and thats probably bc the players collectively showed up 2-3 weeks before training camp and started training with each other. Will our guys do that?

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Canes and Rangers are soft compared to Leafs and Bruins.

Still pissed at this guy but at the same time it's obvious to me he'd rack up points away from Bruins or panthers.

Round 1 and 2 is the issue. Round 3 and 4 is the cake walk for Marner. Weird thing to say but those who follow Atlantic format understand it.

Need to figure out how to get this guy to round 3 so he can help carry us from there

Lol. He didn’t rack up jack shit other than fat stacks of cash against the Habs and Blue Jackets.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
How about Mitch Marner to the Black Hawks for Marner can ride shotgun with star Connor Benard and Leafs get picks and prospects and Dman Seth Jones (1/2 salary retained)?

I've mentioned a trade like this in the past and am revisiting it now that Marner might be more inclined to be asked to waive his NMC.

Its now a topic that is being circulated in the media.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
How about Mitch Marner to the Black Hawks for Marner can ride shotgun with star Connor Benard and Leafs get picks and prospects and Dman Seth Jones (1/2 salary retained)?

I've mentioned a trade like this in the past and am revisiting it now that Marner might be more inclined to be asked to waive his NMC.

Its now a topic that is being circulated in the media.

I feel like any deal for Marner should be structured like this - a key core piece, preferably a Dman (Seth Jones), and some futures.

The goal here has to be not only moving Marner, but getting some tangible in return.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I would've respected him if he took 50% of the responsibility Samsonov takes. Sammy is brutally honest and will tell the media where he needs to be better. If you're an assistant captain, occasionally telling the press what they want to hear is enough. For gods sake, mention that you expect more from yourself and will work until you get the wins. He doesn't deserve an "A". You guys are objectively not almost there. Your all time record is 5 of 16 wins, you typically win 3. You're not remotely close.

I'm sure everyone saw Pasta throw the gloves and fight Tkachuk at centre ice. Those guys are killers and we'd worship either of them here.

Our players all make more than Tkachuk and would look to the league minimum players on the team to do the dirty work. I really don't care what the return is, it's an addition by subtracting in any form. I'm perfectly happy with taking a step back if it means an end of the humiliation for a long term solution.

Reactions: ToneDog

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
It’s been 3 years in a row now where we’ve started the first 5-10 games of preseason hockey?

If Im seeing this correctly
2023-2024: 6-5-2 <— missed 1st by 12 points
2022-2023: 4-4-2 <— missed 1st by 24 points
2021-2022: 2-4-1 <— missed 1st by 7 points

Mix in with the annual 5-7 games thrown away to bottom feeders and no wonder we are always sitting pat at 2nd/3rd

Besides, this team hasn’t done anything to convince me that they could’ve beat Washington, they lost to Montreal. All credibility or benefit of doubt gone from me

Reactions: CincoHolio

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
There is a really simple solution here for Marner and unfortunately I don't think he and his camp of morons will ever consider it.

Sign on July 1st for the same amount as Nylander with no drama. That will go a long way in resetting the reputation he's developed.
That would be great for Marner, but not for the Leafs. $9 with no NMC would be tolerable.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I would've respected him if he took 50% of the responsibility Samsonov takes. Sammy is brutally honest and will tell the media where he needs to be better. If you're an assistant captain, occasionally telling the press what they want to hear is enough. For gods sake, mention that you expect more from yourself and will work until you get the wins. He doesn't deserve an "A". You guys are objectively not almost there. Your all time record is 5 of 16 wins, you typically win 3. You're not remotely close.

I'm sure everyone saw Pasta throw the gloves and fight Tkachuk at centre ice. Those guys are killers and we'd worship either of them here.

Our players all make more than Tkachuk and would look to the league minimum players on the team to do the dirty work. I really don't care what the return is, it's an addition by subtracting in any form. I'm perfectly happy with taking a step back if it means an end of the humiliation for a long term solution.

Does Marner even work on his game and shot in the off-season or only on his tan? Look at MacKinnon's workouts on his shots...Crosby worked on his backhand for years to make it a lethal weapon...there are Marner fans saying 4 to 5 years ago that his shot was much improved from his first couple of years in the NHL, yet here we are...it still sucks!

Seems like he's still relying on his OHL days to get him through the NHL playoffs.

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
what? He hasn’t even put up 100 points playing with the best Leaf we’ve ever had. They’re theoretically a perfect pairing and Marner still hasn’t done what you’re suggesting.

And what about the playoffs? Absolutely horrid in the playoffs, with or without Tavares.

Time to move on. He’ll do well somewhere else I’m sure, but he just can’t handle the pressure in Toronto.
Marner had 97 in 72 games two years ago, which put him on pace for 110.

Reactions: ACC1224

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
With Marner and with every player on this team, we have consider the idea that it's not them but something fundamentally wrong overall. Every guy leaves and has massive success somewhere else.

Maybe they should spend some time on figuring that out before trading their best players.
It's simple don't trade players who played with heart, passion and grit and trade the ones who don't. Moore, Kadri and Hyman...

Dubas did the opposite because he's someone who never played sports at a high level and literally had no clue.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's simple don't trade players who played with heart, passion and grit and trade the ones who don't. Moore, Kadri and Hyman...

Dubas did the opposite because he's someone who never played sports at a high level and literally had no clue.

Removing a special exemption like Marner who doesn’t have to do a lot of extra little chores like hitting, going into traffic will really change the cultute of the team.

When Matthews was with Domi and Bertuzzi he became a lot more industrious of a player, more north south and played with better consistent pace and chippiness. I don’t think Matthews is a self starting leader in those departments but if you put a more competitive environment around him I think I’ll match the intensity.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
You cannot be serious... Marner *and* Liljegren, Robertson and Minten for friggin 34yo Markstrom and Andersson?!? I'd take it and run if I was Calgary GM.

Btw, outside of 2021/22, Markstrom's numbers are *very* ordinary, barely a .500 goalie - how is he the solution in the net? If anything, I'd try to get Hellebuyck after that rough playoff he's just had in Winnipeg, but doubt Jets would be willing to move him.
Hubes and Marner on NMCs for ~23M into the 2030s as a core is no bueno for Flames.

Marky and Andersson for three years at 9M plus a few million in cap space is nice for Leafs.

Helly isn't available. Try for Saros but probably the alternative is Stolarz.

You could soften the deal a bit by swapping out Minten but part value of the deal going through is a deal actually going through.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Marner missed his chance to turn all this around.

With Willy and Matthews both out for 3 games, he could have become a hero if he took over the series.

Ferraro touchedcon it the other day.

He didn't even need to be great for a game. Or a period.

He just needed to be great for a shift here and there and make something happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad