Remember when the NHL said the jersey ads wouldn't be on merchandise sold to fans?

Aug 3, 2010
In this thread, adults finally learn that professional sports franchises are just another form of corporation being held up by other corporate entities.

Funny how nobody here has had the foresight to suggest legitimate, logistically-sound methods of propping up one of the world's most expensive pastimes, only complaining about how it's being done now.

Reactions: SirJW

archangel2

May 19, 2019
I'm sure that's part of the pitch to the people buying the ads as well.

"Your company name will be on every team jersey sold! It's not just the players who become billboards but the fans too!"
Let me put it another way. If the ADS are not there? They are not official jersies

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Actually it's you who doesn't seem to understand what Bettman does.

It's dated but there's a pretty good book on him and his role as commissioner called The Instigator. You should give it a read. Based on what you seem to think the Bettman's role is, its' gonna be a real eye opener for you.

I've read the book, by Jonathan Gatehouse.

You seem to be misremembering the content if you think it somehow tells the story of Bettman controlling the Board of Directors. I'm sure this collection of billionaires often take their marching orders from one of their employees.

If people in this thread want to pretend that Gary Betteman runs the league and the Board of Directors follow him, rather than vice versa, you are are certainly entitled to do so, but it doesn't make any of it remotely true.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I've read the book, by Jonathan Gatehouse.

You seem to be misremembering the content if you think it somehow tells the story of Bettman controlling the Board of Directors. I'm sure this collection of billionaires often take their marching orders from one of their employees.

If people in this thread want to pretend that Gary Betteman runs the league and the Board of Directors follow him, rather than vice versa, you are are certainly entitled to do so, but it doesn't make any of it remotely true.
Have you worked for a company with a CEO and BOD? Which ones have the most influence on the companies direction and what it does? Its the CEO. If the BOD sees the CEO not taking the company in the direction they want then they will step in and remove him. They have other shit to deal with. Its literally why they hire a CEO in the first place. To oversee the entire operations of their company...

If the board says I want to see x amount of growth over the next y years. It is Bettman's job to come up with a way to accomplish that (which could be shit like ads on jerseys, digital boards etc). If Bettman was not in charge, its very possible someone else would have done it differently. Bottom line the BOD just care about the numbers, they dont really care how Gary gets them there.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Growing up in Sweden I remember you could buy ad-free soccer shirts, or you could pay double for ones with ads on. Same quality official merchandise.

The ones with ads were obviously the ones you wanted, that's what the players wore so why would you rather have a lesser copy?

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica

"It’s not an active discussion among NHL clubs,” Bettman said. “I always said we wouldn’t be first. OK, great. The NBA is doing it. But it would take an unusual circumstance – which I would define as ‘a lot of money that I’m having trouble comprehending right now’ – for us to even be thinking about it.”

“You’ll say, well, you did it in the World Cup. The fact of the matter is the World Cup jerseys aren’t like NHL team jerseys,” said Bettman.

“The fact of the matter is we take great pride in our sweaters. We think they’re the best in all of sports, and that’s not something we’re running off to do. We think what we have is special. We talk about history and tradition and how special hockey jerseys are,” he said."
Just imagine how good the money must be, he said it himself. The league wont turn away new revenue streams unless fans prove they won't have it. As nothing has changed and jersey sales chug along as normal, they will enjoy the money streams.

This is another reason why the cap is going up.

Every decision is a double edge sword. The downside which was fans saying they wouldn't accept it, hasn't materialized.

Reactions: DaveG

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
In this thread, adults finally learn that professional sports franchises are just another form of corporation being held up by other corporate entities.

Funny how nobody here has had the foresight to suggest legitimate, logistically-sound methods of propping up one of the world's most expensive pastimes, only complaining about how it's being done now.
My suggestion is you do what the league did for so many years up until recently. You draw a hard line against ads on jerseys. Remove them
And apologize to fans, the league makes slightly less money and life goes on.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
What do you want for nothing? A rubber biscuit???

Actually... I would want an unwhored out jersey to be gone with that I am already paying for.

Like when I order my vehicles, I tell them under no terms do I want them to put their dealership branding on my truck. If it is on there, I will not sign the papers until they are off.

I am loyal to the brand, not the sponsor. I am not going to pay to be the sponsors billboard... And certainly won't if I am not going to see a discount.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Growing up in Sweden I remember you could buy ad-free soccer shirts, or you could pay double for ones with ads on. Same quality official merchandise.

The ones with ads were obviously the ones you wanted, that's what the players wore so why would you rather have a lesser copy?

Pure genius. You get paid by sponsors to put their advertising on your stuff. Then you get people, as the intended target of said advertising, mentally conditioned to actually PAY to not only receive the advertising but to be the billboard too.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Actually... I would want an unwhored out jersey to be gone with that I am already paying for.

Like when I order my vehicles, I tell them under no terms do I want them to put their dealership branding on my truck. If it is on there, I will not sign the papers until they are off.

I am loyal to the brand, not the sponsor. I am not going to pay to be the sponsors billboard... And certainly won't if I am not going to see a discount.
Good luck with that, I guess

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com

Sounds like a lot of these folks have a jersey shrine in their home that they regularly kneel and pray in front of by the way they're describing them.

Last edited:

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Unfortunately a lot of things in this world that shouldn't be, are. That, and these jersey ads, are a reality of life.
True, and people should stop buying them. Too many zombies just go with whatever is thrown at them though so I won't hold my breath

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Hey at least we aren't as brainwashed as soccer fans, who think it would look weird if the teams logo was on the crest instead of the advertiser.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad