Remember when the NHL said the jersey ads wouldn't be on merchandise sold to fans?

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Go get a pair of those small silver metal medical type scissors. Or a utility knife/box cutter from the dollar store.

Flip the jersey inside out.

Slice all the threads of the advertisement logo on the inside of the jersey. Blade/scissors have to be razor sharp.

Should now be able to pull out all the threads.

Only problem is it *might* leave a slight ghosted imprint or imperfections in place of where the ad was.

Try this on some other piece of clothing that also has threading somewhere on it that you don't care about (a work jacket with a name, etc) first to see how it goes.

Done it before many times, works fine.

Reactions: 95Tal and DaveG

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Smart move!! :)

The made in Canada CCM 550 replicas are/were the last real fan jerseys IMO.

Ever since the Reebok “Premier” days they’ve been overpriced garbage.
I still own some good ones- 1995 Brodeur Ultrafil authentic, 1999 Hasek white goathead authentic, 2007 blue Sabres 3rd jersey x2, 2007 white Islanders authentic to name a few. I had more but sold a lot of them off.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Business making "slightly less money" goes against the whole North American ideal of success and capitalism. Why should a business owner (and by extension the people who are employed by them) choose to make less money for the customer's satisfaction?

A reminder that sports and entertainment is a non-essential form of enjoyment. You want to enjoy the sport, especially one that requires a wholly artificial, complicated facility to even be played for 70% of the year, you get to pay for it.

Stop supporting "your franchise" and you get Winnipegged. Deal with it.

So many here lack business acumen and logistical awareness; it's quite amazing. All complaints, no real solutions.
For the same reason they choose to make less money by not covering the ice with ads. Not every decision that makes money is a good one. It’s in the owners best interest to do what is best for the game of hockey.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Aug 3, 2010
In other words, while you were busy lecturing people, your statement showed a fundamental misunderstanding of basic business concepts.

As I challeneged others in my ppost early, do you have a legitimate suggestion for how to improve the fan experience while satisfying profit-driven businesses?
Put your money where your mouth is instead of trying to argue with your little generalist statements.

I'll wait for you to Google all the "basic business concepts" before copy-pasting every search result you find here in retort.

Businesses want to make money. NHL franchises simultaneously add sponsorships AND raise ticket prices across the board. They only barely care about what you can't afford.

For the same reason they choose to make less money by not covering the ice with ads. Not every decision that makes money is a good one. It’s in the owners best interest to do what is best for the game of hockey.
Care to explain just what that might be?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I've read the book, by Jonathan Gatehouse.

You seem to be misremembering the content if you think it somehow tells the story of Bettman controlling the Board of Directors. I'm sure this collection of billionaires often take their marching orders from one of their employees.

If people in this thread want to pretend that Gary Betteman runs the league and the Board of Directors follow him, rather than vice versa, you are are certainly entitled to do so, but it doesn't make any of it remotely true.

I have a hard time seeing an egotistical leader like Gary Bettman subject to the whims of the board for 30 plus years and is still running around doing their bidding. Through all the manufactured labour strife and growth of the game I’m sure he’s long established himself first as the indispensable commissioner and later on via continuity the czar.

I’d be very surprised if he didn’t have full autonomy of how he wants to run things and everyone better be quiet lest your franchise values go to ruin and you land on the wrong side of the commissioner. He does what he wants and shapes consensus like a strong man. There’s no way he’s taking 32 calls from owners and directors and they’re telling him what to do.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
As I challeneged others in my ppost early, do you have a legitimate suggestion for how to improve the fan experience while satisfying profit-driven businesses?
Put your money where your mouth is instead of trying to argue with your little generalist statements.

I'll wait for you to Google all the "basic business concepts" before copy-pasting every search result you find here in retort.

Businesses want to make money. NHL franchises simultaneously add sponsorships AND raise ticket prices across the board. They only barely care about what you can't afford.

Yeah, it seems like you're definitely interested in a productive, civil conversation.

Enjoy your condescension.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That's because soccer logos were never on the crest whether there's ads or not.

I think the more straight forward answer is a lot of fans want exactly what the players are wearing. So if it comes with a fighting strap and a weird corporate logo that’s what they want. That level of authenticity is a different argument than the purity test since I’m sure the real old timers wouldn’t be happy with an Adidas logo on the jersey. (Like why do I care who made the jersey?)

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Business making "slightly less money" goes against the whole North American ideal of success and capitalism. Why should a business owner (and by extension the people who are employed by them) choose to make less money for the customer's satisfaction?

A reminder that sports and entertainment is a non-essential form of enjoyment. You want to enjoy the sport, especially one that requires a wholly artificial, complicated facility to even be played for 70% of the year, you get to pay for it.

Stop supporting "your franchise" and you get Winnipegged. Deal with it.

So many here lack business acumen and logistical awareness; it's quite amazing. All complaints, no real solutions.
There's no particular "business acumen" here. The NA business model is to create monopolies on entire sports, shake down taxpayers for handouts then lie about how much more moral their product is relative to the rest of the world - even though sports teams in NA major leagues only exist as franchises and not as actual social institutions.

The least we can do is call a spade a spade. You can buy as much ad-ridden Fanatics garbage as you'd like, your team's owners would still move in a heartbeat if they were offered enough freebies across the continent.

Reactions: 1989

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Cheer for teams that don't sell out for an extra few million like the Dallas Stars. Poverty franchise original 6 teams ruining their jersey to milk a few extra dollars. Sad.

Dallas will get one yet. I thought Detroit was going to hold out, NOPE!

Why would anyone buy one that has an ad on it? Don't buy, then they will go away from customer jerseys.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Dallas will get one yet. I thought Detroit was going to hold out, NOPE!

Why would anyone buy one that has an ad on it? Don't buy, then they will go away from customer jerseys.

Dallas is not a poverty franchise, no need to sell out for a few extra million.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I thought the whole idea of "authentic" is they look exactly like what the players wear on the ice, which by definition would include the ads
Authentic to me is the ones the players actually wear in games and then you can later buy in auctions and whatnot.

These are still replicas anyway you spin it.

But ya, don't buy them if you don't like them. I'm already not giving the NHL/penguins any money until they remove blackouts.

Reactions: SirJW

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
These jerseys are trash compared to the ones 20 years ago. They feel and look cheap. Haven't bought one in about 15 years

Once you get out of the jersey buying game, you realize how silly it is anyway. Like who care if you have an authentic? So you paid $300+ for a piece of clothing that you rarely wear.

Just be a fan, wear an authentic, wear a knockoff, wear a t-shirt/sweatshirt, hoodie, whatever you want, heck make your own homemade jersey for all I care. As long as you're supporting the team/league/sport it's all good.

Reactions: 95Tal

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Smart move!! :)

The made in Canada CCM 550 replicas are/were the last real fan jerseys IMO.

Ever since the Reebok “Premier” days they’ve been overpriced garbage.
People can cite nostalgia all they want, but I think there is a reason why most fans think the early to mid-90s jerseys and logos were the best of any era in the history of the league. The quality, the aesthetics, the colours and logos -- nothing beat it.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Soccer is a massive joke, in many ways. The NHL is rapidly joining them.
The club logos or crest didn't start appearing on the kits until around the 70's and have always been placed in the heat area. Ads on jerseys didn't start appearing until the 80's and have been pretty much restricted to just one.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00