Remember when the NHL said the jersey ads wouldn't be on merchandise sold to fans?

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
It won't be long until the ice/uniforms look like the Euro leagues, plastered with ads on every inch... It's disgusting.

If you can still get legit KOHO/CCM jerseys of your favorite teams if they exist, do it.

Quality like that is impossible to find.
Those KOHO jerseys 20 years ago were the best quality IMO. Heavy weight, good stitching

Reactions: zeeto and Frosty415

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
So the owners basically pay him 10M+ a year to look pretty? That seems a little farfetched

You seem confused, I'm not offering you my opinion, it's a fact, you can call it farfetched if you want, but that simply means you don't understand the topic.

I'm not sure what you think the quoted sections are "proving" either. Bettman does not get a vote in any of the decisions. The Board of Director's are the only people that have a vote and the only people that have a say in league decisions.

Bettman can advise them, Bettman can gather all of the data and the research for them. Bettman can say these six markets are the best ones out there, and in our findings, in this order would they be considered most to least desirable.

But when it comes to vote on the city they are going to accept into the league as an Expansion team, Gary Bettman doesn't even get a vote.

When the league decides to do a shootout instead of a tie, Gary Bettman doesn't vote on the topic.

It's not "farfetched" and nobody (but you) claimed he was "the owner's puppet."

Reactions: DaveG and 1989

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
You seem confused, I'm not offering you my opinion, it's a fact, you can call it farfetched if you want, but that simply means you don't understand the topic.

I'm not sure what you think the quoted sections are "proving" either. Bettman does not get a vote in any of the decisions. The Board of Director's are the only people that have a vote and the only people that have a say in league decisions.

Bettman can advise them, Bettman can gather all of the data and the research for them. Bettman can say these six markets are the best ones out there, and in our findings, in this order would they be considered most to least desirable.

But when it comes to vote on the city they are going to accept into the league as an Expansion team, Gary Bettman doesn't even get a vote.

When the league decides to do a shootout instead of a tie, Gary Bettman doesn't vote on the topic.

It's not "farfetched" and nobody (but you) claimed he was "the owner's puppet."
Once again the 32 owners aren't a monolith that will agree on everything all the time. It's literally part of Bettman's job to get a consensus from a group of people are all likely used to getting their way in everything else. All of which gives him power and influence. It's hilariously naive to think otherwise.

Bettman only names the executive committee, picks it's members, chairs it, formulates the agenda of BoG's meetings, ...but yeah, clearly he has no authority.

D Wakaluk

Dec 8, 2010
stuck in the '90s
Bettman has *nothing* to do with this.

People don't seem to even understand what a Commissioner does. He works for the owners and answers to them, and them only.

Bettman doesn't even get a vote on whether their should be ads on the jerseys.

Bettman has no say on whether the Arizona Coyotes relocate or not.

Bettman has nothing to do with your favourite player being suspended (unless they appeal.)

Over and over again here people blame Gary Bettman for things he has zero involvement in.

Nice try, Gary.

Btw. I have the timetable for Arizonas relocation; - now.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

People don't seem to even understand what a Commissioner does. He works for the owners and answers to them, and them only.

Bettman has nothing to do with your favourite player being suspended (unless they appeal.)

Over and over again here people blame Gary Bettman for things he has zero involvement in.

It’s by design. He’s the fall guy. The owners want you to hate him.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
This double whammy of ads + Fanatics is such a slap in the face.

tottenham-hotspur-2023-24-stadium-home-dri-fit-football-shirt-vwvxvm.png
Maybe it’s just me but the jersey ad doesn’t really bother me. It’s part of the jersey.

Top league in the world has the ad larger than the team logo.

Because at least in that case they have the logo in the same colour scheme as the rest of the jersey.

Compare that to the Canucks and their f***ing bright green TD logo on the black/red/yellow skate jersey.

quinn-hughes-skate-canucks-twitter.jpeg

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

View attachment 837372

Full on embroidered jerseys ads sewn on to Adidas Authentics sold in the Detroit team store.
Yes and I also remember when the helmet ads were only temporary to recoup revenue losses due to Covid.

And fans love the digital ads on the boards!! At least that's what Gary tells me.

Actually it's you who doesn't seem to understand what Bettman does.

It's dated but there's a pretty good book on him and his role as commissioner called The Instigator. You should give it a read. Based on what you seem to think the Bettman's role is, its' gonna be a real eye opener for you.

Reactions: Voight

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Here is the thing. They are part of the official Jersey so why wouldn't they be part of anything sold as official? If that makes sense.

I'm sure that's part of the pitch to the people buying the ads as well.

"Your company name will be on every team jersey sold! It's not just the players who become billboards but the fans too!"

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Holy f***, Chris Illich is a goddamn moron.

Did your Dad not leave you enough money already that you had to ruin an Original 6 team's sweater?

That shit is goddamn sacrilegious.

The NHL opening the door to ads on jerseys was a f***ing disaster. They are gradually gonna keep adding more and It won’t be long before the jerseys are absolutely covered with about 15 ads on them and they will look atrocious, we will barely be able to tell the teams apart.

This was the easiest shot to call ever, the second we saw ads on helmets I knew it was over

Reactions: Realgud

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
Although I'd prefer no ads on jerseys it's more annoying to have so many ads in the playing area of an NHL rink. No other major sport has that many ads on and around the field. Ads superimposed on the glass, multiple ads all over the ice, ads completely inundating the boards, ads on the scoreboard, and generally some sort of ads on the tv crawler or permanently by the score if watching on tv. Not to mention all of the gambling foolishness we now get to see on the screen of some networks.

It's amazing how much advertising takes up the real estate of a tv screen now vs the not so distant past. It's striking when I watch games from the 80s and 90s how nice it is to not have so much clutter on the screen.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
At Real Sports in Toronto, the arena store has the Leafs "Milk" ads on all the jerseys, but your mall retailers like Sportchek don't. The ones online also don't have the ads, but Real Sports will put the ad on your jersey for free if you bring it in.

Some people just like exactly what's on the pro jersey.

Reactions: DaveG and Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad