Remember when the NHL said the jersey ads wouldn't be on merchandise sold to fans?

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

RDT_20240317_0801414264964635775951363.jpg

Full on embroidered jerseys ads sewn on to Adidas Authentics sold in the Detroit team store.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
we need the junior business bootlicking execs to come in an tell us how Bettman needed to do this, and we should all just be thankfully our pappa has our best interests at heart.

thank you papa Bettman. (and our hf junior business execs)
Blue collar simps always make me chuckle

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I actually don’t remember NHL saying that.

"It’s not an active discussion among NHL clubs,” Bettman said. “I always said we wouldn’t be first. OK, great. The NBA is doing it. But it would take an unusual circumstance – which I would define as ‘a lot of money that I’m having trouble comprehending right now’ – for us to even be thinking about it.”

“You’ll say, well, you did it in the World Cup. The fact of the matter is the World Cup jerseys aren’t like NHL team jerseys,” said Bettman.

“The fact of the matter is we take great pride in our sweaters. We think they’re the best in all of sports, and that’s not something we’re running off to do. We think what we have is special. We talk about history and tradition and how special hockey jerseys are,” he said."

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

"It’s not an active discussion among NHL clubs,” Bettman said. “I always said we wouldn’t be first. OK, great. The NBA is doing it. But it would take an unusual circumstance – which I would define as ‘a lot of money that I’m having trouble comprehending right now’ – for us to even be thinking about it.”

“You’ll say, well, you did it in the World Cup. The fact of the matter is the World Cup jerseys aren’t like NHL team jerseys,” said Bettman.

“The fact of the matter is we take great pride in our sweaters. We think they’re the best in all of sports, and that’s not something we’re running off to do. We think what we have is special. We talk about history and tradition and how special hockey jerseys are,” he said."
I was referring to OP where says “jerseys sold to fans” vs teams..

Reactions: Satans Hockey

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
we need the junior business bootlicking execs to come in an tell us how Bettman needed to do this, and we should all just be thankfully our pappa has our best interests at heart.

thank you papa Bettman. (and our hf junior business execs)

Bettman has *nothing* to do with this.

People don't seem to even understand what a Commissioner does. He works for the owners and answers to them, and them only.

Bettman doesn't even get a vote on whether their should be ads on the jerseys.

Bettman has no say on whether the Arizona Coyotes relocate or not.

Bettman has nothing to do with your favourite player being suspended (unless they appeal.)

Over and over again here people blame Gary Bettman for things he has zero involvement in.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Ah yeah you're right there but it doesn't matter if they said it or not cause they always flip flop anyway.

I mean, to play the Devil’s Advocate, that statement was made in 2017. And he made it clear that money would be the deciding factor in whether they have ads on jerseys.

Then something happened in 2020 that caused the league to lose a LOT of money.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Where's the part where Bettman said ads would never be on the sweaters sold to fans?

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Bettman has *nothing* to do with this.

People don't seem to even understand what a Commissioner does. He works for the owners and answers to them, and them only.

Bettman doesn't even get a vote on whether their should be ads on the jerseys.

Bettman has no say on whether the Arizona Coyotes relocate or not.

Bettman has nothing to do with your favourite player being suspended (unless they appeal.)

Over and over again here people blame Gary Bettman for things he has zero involvement in.
This is a post that deserves its own thread that is stickied to the top of each forum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad