Remember when the NHL said the jersey ads wouldn't be on merchandise sold to fans?

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I mean, to play the Devil’s Advocate, that statement was made in 2017. And he made it clear that money would be the deciding factor in whether they have ads on jerseys.

Then something happened in 2020 that caused the league to lose a LOT of money.

They bounced back just fine, it's all bullshit. My Devils season tickets went up last year and another 9% this year. The league was always going to add ads to helmets and jerseys. Pandemic accelerated it is all.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
I actually don’t remember NHL saying that.
I also don't remember, but maybe largely just not paying attention because I don't really care. If it's on the actual player's jerseys, why wouldn't you want the same jersey that they wear?

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
I also don't remember, but maybe largely just not paying attention because I don't really care. If it's on the actual player's jerseys, why wouldn't you want the same jersey that they wear?
Because the ads are an abomination. I'd like to see a company buy the ad space, keep the jersey clean, and then throw some commercials in stating that they did so. I refuse to do business with any company choosing to desecrate a jersey.

Reactions: Toene

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Because the ads are an abomination. I'd like to see a company buy the ad space, keep the jersey clean, and then throw some commercials in stating that they did so. I refuse to do business with any company choosing to desecrate a jersey.
The Leafs jerseys last night had an ad for milk. That's a tough boycott lol

Reactions: Toene and Voight

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Are the Rangers the only team without jersey ads currently?

I'm sure it's probably eventually gonna happen. The Knicks have them so it's not like it bothers Dolan.

Unfortunately the Devils introduced it a few weeks ago but it's only on the home jerseys.

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
The Leafs jerseys last night had an ad for milk. That's a tough boycott lol
You could always switch to Malk with Vitamin R.
The_PTA_Disbands_-_94.png

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I'm sure it's probably eventually gonna happen. The Knicks have them so it's not like it bothers Dolan.

Unfortunately the Devils introduced it a few weeks ago but it's only on the home jerseys.
The Yankees have an ad on their jersey. Of course the Rangers are going to do it as well

Reactions: DaveG

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Bettman has *nothing* to do with this.

People don't seem to even understand what a Commissioner does. He works for the owners and answers to them, and them only.

Bettman doesn't even get a vote on whether their should be ads on the jerseys.

Bettman has no say on whether the Arizona Coyotes relocate or not.

Bettman has nothing to do with your favourite player being suspended (unless they appeal.)

Over and over again here people blame Gary Bettman for things he has zero involvement in.

So the owners basically pay him 10M+ a year to look pretty? That seems a little farfetched

Definition and duties​

According to the NHL Constitution, Article VI, section 6.1:

"6.1 Office of Commissioner, Election and Term of Office The League shall employ a Commissioner selected by the Board of Governors. The Commissioner shall serve as the Chief Executive Officer of the League and is charged with protecting the integrity of the game of professional hockey and preserving public confidence in the League. The Board of Governors shall determine the term of office and compensation of the Commissioner. The Commissioner shall be elected a majority of the Governors present and voting at a League meeting at which a quorum was present when it was convened."

In Section 6.3, the commissioner's duties are spelled out as having "responsibility for the general supervision and direction of all business and affairs of the league", co-ordinates matters between member clubs and serves as the principal public spokesman for the league. The commissioner also has authority over dispute resolution, league committees, interpretation of league rules, appointment of league staff, NHL financial matters, contracting authority, scheduling, officials and disciplinary powers. The commissioner also determines the date and places of board of governors meetings.
Kind of weird how Bettman is basically the owners puppet for anything bad that happens (as if all 32 owners are some sort of monolith) but at the same time, deserves sole credit for whatever successes that NHL has had since he become commissioner.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
So the owners basically pay him 10M+ a year to look pretty? That seems a little farfetched

Kind of weird how Bettman is basically the owners puppet for anything bad that happens (as if all 32 owners are some sort of monolith) but at the same time, deserves sole credit for whatever successes that NHL has had since he become commissioner.
The owners pay him $10m a year to take attention away from the fact he's just doing what they want so that they can keep their noses clean PR wise

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
The owners pay him $10m a year to take attention away from the fact he's just doing what they want so that they can keep their noses clean PR wise
lol

To give him the title and power he wanted as commissioner, the NHL had to change its bylaws. Bettman wound up with more power than any of the presidents who preceded him.

“The owners didn’t hire me to be a coach or general manager,”
Bettman said during his first days in office, “but because I knew how to run a professional sports league.”

Sportsnet

Reactions: Summer Rose

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
After having spent 0.1 seconds looking at the Dallas Stars' alternate jersey, I'm going to go ahead and say: This guy will absolutely ruin a jersey.

Yea dude, the Dallas 3rd is the issue, not Milk on the Leafs jersey or Priority Waste Management on the Wings.

lmao

Imagine advertising a company that picks up dog shit on your jersey.. I'd be embarrassed.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
I thought the whole idea of "authentic" is they look exactly like what the players wear on the ice, which by definition would include the ads

Ads change. They gonna replace them or update them for free?

Reactions: ESH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad