Post-Game Talk: Reimer Dives. TOUCHDOWN! Jets destroy Panthers 7-2

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Watching Rosie and Matty P bird dog the puck as a team is a thing of beauty....I love the tenacity of that line, they just torment the team trying to exit their zone. Roslo is a player he just feels the game so well for a raw rookie. Vincent is doing a good job with those guys on the Moose.

Nice night and morning to be a Jets fan.

Y’know, watching the game last night I often found myself feeling a strange sort of sympathetic frustration for the Panthers. We were just so relentless on the forecheck...they’d manage to kinda gain control of the puck from a jet player after a board battle and they’d start to try and make a play and instantly another jet would appear on top of them and start fighting for the puck again! It had to be a very frustrating game for them.

...I don’t feel all that bad for them though. I’ll get over it! :laugh:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
The Panthers looked decent early, but really faded as the game went on. The Jets were going hard from the drop of the puck to the final whistle. A very complete game by the boys.

Reactions: Jets2point0

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I very much approve of this game. Everyone was more or less on fire.

CSW and especially Scheif was creating chances all over the place. Wheeler was awesome. Connor also awesome.

Copp-line showing chemistry, they had a strong game. Strong game from Laine. 3 points would have been in the bag had he not whiffed on the pass from Copp. The puck wasn't following him too much in this game but even his presence on the PP is like a player-magnet. I don't envy the penalty killers when your choices to leave open are sure goal, or sure goal.

I would switch Roslo and Ehlers just to try it. Second line was good, but not PLE levels good, and Ehlers and Laine have some chemistry issues IMO. More games needed though so no problem going forward with this setup

Some negatives include too many penalties again, and Wheeler again opting to shoot too much standing still from the half-board (which this time led to a collapse and the rebound was recovered -> goal), but still overall that should be the last type of play to go to there IMO. If you shoot from there you shoot for the pads to get rebounds, but even then it shouldn't be a go-to play with our roster. More often that not the goalie just smothers it and we have to fight for possession all over again. Wheeler is not a sniper so he shouldn't try to be. Use what you have because you have a lot. Buff used to do that all the time from the point. Bad!

Have to also note that the Panthers was playing their second game of a back-to-back. Our punching-bag demolishing levels are good which bodes well for the future, but I want to see the real test.

Wheeler punching the puck into the net was funny, but I would have probably done the exact same thing. It was right there!

Last edited:

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
I very much approve of this game. Everyone was more or less on fire.

CSW and especially Scheif was creating chances all over the place. Wheeler was awesome. Connor also awesome.

Copp-line showing chemistry, they had a strong game. Strong game from Laine. 3 points would have been in the bag had he not whiffed on the pass from Copp. The puck wasn't following him too much in this game but even his presence on the PP is like a player-magnet. I don't envy the penalty killers when your choices to leave open are sure goal, or sure goal.

I would switch Roslo and Ehlers just to try it. Second line was good, but not PLE levels good, and Ehlers and Laine have some chemistry issues IMO. More games needed though so no problem going forward with this setup

Some negatives include too many penalties again, and Wheeler again opting to shoot too much standing still from the half-board (which this time led to a collapse and the rebound was recovered -> goal), but still overall that should be the last type of play to go to there IMO. If you shoot from there you shoot for the pads to get rebounds, but even then it shouldn't be a go-to play with our roster. Wheeler is not a sniper so he shouldn't try to be. Use what you have because you have a lot. Buff used to do that all the time from the point. Bad!

Have to also note that the Panthers was playing their second game of a back-to-back. Our punching-bag demolishing levels are good which bodes well for the future, but I want to see the real test.

Wheeler punching the puck into the net was funny, but I would have probably done the exact same thing. It was right there!
I think that it's a big part of the PP strategy that Wheeler does that, because the goalies have to respect the possibility that he is going to shoot even when he opts to pass. Otherwise they would know for sure that he is going to try a seam pass or a pass into the slot. This way the goalies and penalty killers have 3 threats to focus on in that situation and it pays off pretty well in the long run although Wheelers shots from there don't end up in the net too often.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I think that it's a big part of the PP strategy that Wheeler does that, because the goalies have to respect the possibility that he is going to shoot even when he opts to pass. Otherwise they would know for sure that he is going to try a seam pass or a pass into the slot. This way the goalies and penalty killers have 3 threats to focus on in that situation and it pays off pretty well in the long run although Wheelers shots from there don't end up in the net too often.

That could be the case. And in any case this time it did lead to a goal so this is not the right time for this discussion. Let's keep an eye on it.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
What a game! Love a good beatdown.

I've said this before but

Head Hit = Penalty + Concussion Protocol

Buff got penalty, but no CP means the spotter called a fake. Smith Reimer should have got a penalty or gone for CP.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Look at that freakin' goal differential:

View attachment 99061

giphy.gif
At this point last season the Jets had a -20 goal differential...........think about that for a minute. That is some serious turnaround.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
That could be the case. And in any case this time it did lead to a goal so this is not the right time for this discussion. Let's keep an eye on it.

Yeah I have been cursing the same problem but he scored on it the other night so it does go in sometimes.

He could shoot a little less for top corners from that angle because they come out of the zone easier when you don't have a traditional two defensemen on high point.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Yeah I have been cursing the same problem but he scored on it the other night so it does go in sometimes.

He could shoot a little less for top corners from that angle because they come out of the zone easier when you don't have a traditional two defensemen on high point.
Posing a threat on the PP to keep the PK'ers honest is a problem? Wheeler can and has put the puck in the net with regularity - if there's an opportunity, he should do it. The next time he's looking for a seam pass, the PK'ers will be less likely to cheat.

The next time he may not score. Shit happens - I think the strategy is sound.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

Posing a threat on the PP to keep the PK'ers honest is a problem? Wheeler can and has put the puck in the net with regularity - if there's an opportunity, he should do it. The next time he's looking for a seam pass, the PK'ers will be less likely to cheat.

The next time he may not score. **** happens - I think the strategy is sound.
I reckon this is not emphasised enough. Variety on the PP is paramount in having several passing/shooting lanes and options available. Becoming predictable achieves the opposite.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016

The next time he may not score. **** happens - I think the strategy is sound.

The problem is not that he can't score, it is that he requires so many attempts to do it. I'm not saying he should never shoot, but he also shouldn't prioritize a shot from there. But memories can be tricky so let's keep an eye on it.

Reactions: Jets2point0

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Good thing he doesn't always shoot then. :nod: ;) 5G and 23A on the PP this year tells me that he's mostly looking for an opportunity for a pass, but keeping goalies/PK'ers honest occasionally.

Yeah I don't remember it being a problem before, if it even is a problem now.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Good thing he doesn't always shoot then. :nod: ;) 5G and 23A on the PP this year tells me that he's mostly looking for an opportunity for a pass, but keeping goalies/PK'ers honest occasionally.

That's some serious PP grinding right there. Imagine if he spent some time in the AHL how great his grinding would be ? :sarcasm:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Wheeler has the third highest shot attempt rate (per 60) on the PP on the Jets, and the 6th highest goal rate (per 60). His Corsi shooting percentage on the PP is <7%, lowest among forwards on the team.

So, he does take quite a few shots, and scores less often than other forwards.

Still, I really like how he has been playing on the R wall on the PP. He needs to take enough shots to keep the goalies and D honest, and he's been able to find and hit a lot of seams with his passes. He's been much better than on the L wall, where his lack of a one-timer and the lack of angles and options for passing was reduced.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Yeah I don't remember it being a problem before, if it even is a problem now.
To be fair, the opposing teams' PK units often keep their eyes on the cross-ice pass to Laine to the point where it is actually more sensible for Wheeler to shoot himself. That is not a universal truth, but it's true; some PKs cheat a lot against us. That is what a threat like Laine does.

Reactions: ps241 and grieves

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Earlier in the season when ELL was really struggling, I suggested that they put Copp at C with Ehlers and Laine, because Copp is a big body and he can really skate and get on the puck and create room. I thought Little looked like he couldn't really get in on the puck as effectively, and neither Ehlers nor Laine are great at forechecking and creating turnovers. Copp is also not bad in terms of vision and passing. So far, I've liked that combination. It would be nice if Copp finished a few more of his chances, but they are getting good chances and not giving up that much defensively.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Wow.

CSW: They had BBD under control all night. Connor shined a bit brighter than S and W with his two goals. Wheeler and Scheifele created so. much. offense. Seeing them go behind Reimer's net was pure bliss; you could expect a high danger chance coming our way at any second. And a lot of them did (Wheeler 8, Connor/Scheif 7 HDCF).

PLR: Mathieu MFing Perreault, what a player. No escape, no giving up, all efficiency. I'm just repeating myself at this point: he led by example and caused so many problems for Florida's defense by relentlessly fighting for the puck. So glad to see him rewarded with a goal. Little was all kinds of reliable; only five CA for him and Roslovic, which is the lowest out of all Jets tonight. Roslovic played very responsibly, which is downright beautiful from a guy with less than twenty games under his belt. How the future unfolds for him, I do not know, but ****, am I eager to find out.

ECL: That's a first. I actually liked this line; Copp seemed to do a lot of puck retrieving, which went well with Ehlers, who held the puck and treid to create things with it (with varying levels of success). Aside from his great goal, Laine was a bit invisible (which by no means should be confused with bad), for he did not get a lot of shots off. They murdered their primary matchup of McGinn-McCann-McVrbata.

PHA: I've seen better. I agree with those who did not like Armia; he has been in a slump recently. Thank god he can still be a threat on the forecheck, which he showcased in this one. Hendricks was his usual self, and I did not think Petan was too bad (outside of one or two careless plays that led to turnovers).

44-57: The worst three-point performance I can think of for Myers. The defensive game still does not instill confidence in my mind, which was said during the game by several people. Offensively, things seem to work out... the Little goal was a beautiful creation of Myers'. Morrissey was decent; I have not noticed him too much as of late, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but he has not been as dominant as he has been at his best.

39-33: Holy Buff, what a game. Led the team in Corsi with 74.29%, and was a general nuisance all over the ice. He had some beautiful reads and plays in the O-zone which resulted in dangerous scoring chances. Enstrom struggled a bit, but overall, he did quite well too. These two had the difficult task of going up against Barkov and Dadonov, by the way.

5-7: If you're willing to look past Dadonov undressing him, Kulikov had a solid night. I loved the back check that prevented a breakaway. Chiarot continues his string of uncharacteristically good performances. Good to see his physicality in there without Lowry and Tanev's presences.

37: A shutout at ES = amazing. Some highway robberies in there, too.

I think some of that is that he is playing far more conservatively because he knows he has to cover for his d partner more. I don't like the pairing but this will be a good learning experience for Josh as he is learning how to carry an inferior defender against tough comp.

Reactions: Maukkis

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Is enström drunk ?

Drunk on the prospect of what might be. (Leftover from the GDT)

I'm not sure if I'm financially ready for this. Damn, playoff tickets are expensive!

I was calculating my input yesterday - the missus and I held a brief meeting to estimate costs.:laugh:
A: It's going to cost me, ha ha.

I've posted this gif on a couple of occasions, but I think it worth pointing out that the Reimer dive might actually be worse.

Cj6PCJ4.gif

Reimer's was worse. The dropped stick, the dramatic pause, the flailing hands, the sickening display of near-death choking on the ice, followed by ischemic shakes and reflexive spasms, as his cerebellum loses function. :sarcasm: Shakespeare would have a thing or two to say, ergo (and with no emasculation from me):

"O that this too solid flesh would melt,
Thaw, and resolve itself into a dew!"

Henceforth, The Great Reimer Dive shall be the benchmark of farm league pervertism. A special sequestration of backstage farts that shall be prepared to trumpet the blessed event with all due respect.

I'll take your word for it.
I had a 7-3 bet going for the Jets so....screw you Florida. Happy to see such spread out scoring.

I had posted a 5 - 2 score in favour of the Jets, however I'm very happy to be wrong. :nod:

Someone post a GIF of Frenchie's goal , the 2 Panthers smashing their sticks on the net was fantastic . :laugh: :clap:

My self-absorbed evil side agrees. x2. Please and thanks.

Last edited:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Also, as much grief (and IMO unwarranted) that Chiarot takes on here he is playing fantasic hockey on the bottom pairing on his OFF side and have complete confidence that he can continue that stability in the playoffs, especially when/if Perry or any agitator needs an ego check again. Major props to him

I have to admire Chiarot, he is doing his job well. The emergence of a chrysalis.

giphy.gif

Wheeler > grinder
Connor > grinder
Scheifele > grinder-finder
Roslo > grinder
Little > grinder
Perreault > finder
Laine > penkkihiomakone
Ehlers > værktøjssliber
Copp > grinder-minder
Enstrom > kinder
Helle > minder

:laugh: This is golden, thank you.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
5-7: If you're willing to look past Dadonov undressing him, Kulikov had a solid night. I loved the back check that prevented a breakaway. Chiarot continues his string of uncharacteristically good performances. Good to see his physicality in there without Lowry and Tanev's presences.

37: A shutout at ES = amazing. Some highway robberies in there, too.

That gap by Kuli was Chiarotesque, he wasn't great with that a few times last night, I wonder if he's a little uncomfortable on his off side. I think Buff was a little surprised Kuli bit on that inside move so much, the support was there from him. Buff might have overreacted a bit coming off his man to take Dadonov, but I think he was expecting Wheeler to help out, which he did not.

Enstrom was really good controlling the blue lines last night imo, I thought he had a strong game.

That save happened right in front of me, I still can't believe it.

Reactions: Jets 31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad