Post-Game Talk: Reimer Dives. TOUCHDOWN! Jets destroy Panthers 7-2

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
To be fair on that play the Jets were making a change and Kuli was covering that forward on our blue line. He really couldn't move up to cover the gap and got caught in no man's land. Buff could have just stayed in the middle but decieded to slide over, and Wheeler just watches the play instead of picking up the late guy coming in too. Lots went wrong there

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Wheeler has the third highest shot attempt rate (per 60) on the PP on the Jets, and the 6th highest goal rate (per 60). His Corsi shooting percentage on the PP is <7%, lowest among forwards on the team.

So, he does take quite a few shots, and scores less often than other forwards.

Still, I really like how he has been playing on the R wall on the PP. He needs to take enough shots to keep the goalies and D honest, and he's been able to find and hit a lot of seams with his passes. He's been much better than on the L wall, where his lack of a one-timer and the lack of angles and options for passing was reduced.

Thanks for the info. I also like how Wheeler is running the PP, just commenting a minor tweak he could do when prioritizing plays.

--

No need to get anyone's shorts in a twist ;).

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

Posing a threat on the PP to keep the PK'ers honest is a problem? Wheeler can and has put the puck in the net with regularity - if there's an opportunity, he should do it. The next time he's looking for a seam pass, the PK'ers will be less likely to cheat.

The next time he may not score. **** happens - I think the strategy is sound.
Exactly, the whole PP is predicated on being able to open up Laine for a one timer. This only happens if Wheeler is also a threat to penetrate and shoot or drive the lane and have the option of going back up top to the point. The Jets PP is a 4 headed monster for the most part, Wheeler's ability to drive and shoot, Buff's cannon of a shot from the point, Scheifele/Laine playing the slot, which teams can't sag on because of their release and Scheifele/Laine on the opposite half wall for a one timer. The fact those two are interchangeable at those spots makes it very hard for teams to track guys and focus on any one of them.

Wheeler showed a number of times last night just how good he is at finding guys through a seam. A lot of that is set up by him keeping the goalie and the PK honest by being a threat to shoot. He lays the ground work for those plays to open up later on. Does he force things sometimes? Sure, but who cares, they are operating at a very high level.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
To be fair on that play the Jets were making a change and Kuli was covering that forward on our blue line. He really couldn't move up to cover the gap and got caught in no man's land. Buff could have just stayed in the middle but decieded to slide over, and Wheeler just watches the play instead of picking up the late guy coming in too. Lots went wrong there
Agreed, it was a tough play, he just should have kept his gap on Dadonov a bit longer is all, Scheifele would have picked up #7, it wasn't a great read. It's only one example, I didn't think he was strong in that area a few times last night. Myers either for that matter, not to pick on Kuli.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
The problem is not that he can't score, it is that he requires so many attempts to do it. I'm not saying he should never shoot, but he also shouldn't prioritize a shot from there. But memories can be tricky so let's keep an eye on it.
He doesn't prioritize the shot, why do you think Laine leads the league in PP goals?

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
He doesn't prioritize the shot, why do you think Laine leads the league in PP goals?

I didn't say he prioritizes the shot every time, but TO ME it seems he is opting for the shot slightly too much at times and the shot is not particularly dangerous. Data seems to back this up too.

But again, I think he is doing a fantastic job otherwise.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Only three games left before the deadline and the Jets don't play on the 25th or 26th. The Moose are not on the road so it leaves many options available This is a GM TD dream schedule.

Lowry isn't skating yet so doubt he goes on the road trip which doesn't force a roster move per se. You could also see a scenario where one or more of Poolman Petan and Roslovic get sent down to the Moose after the road trip in order to make them eligible for the AHL playoffs. Player(s) could be recalled the next day after the TD.

Interesting week ahead playing three potential playoff teams that are all below us in the standings. We also get the Kings on a B2B

Last edited:
Reactions: Zhamnov5GoalGame

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Quite ridiculous to criticize player who barely touched the ice until third period when the game was already over. It's also quite disgusting how he has been treated. Set up to fail. Nothing we haven't seen before.

Do you not agree that Armia looks hurt?
I think when Tanev is ready to go we see Armia go to IR to rest whatever is ailing him.
When he's healthy Armia is a beast for possession and board battles.
He's been fairly mediocre in those situations for a while now.
I don't think it's a slump... I think he is playing through an injury.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Wow.

CSW: They had BBD under control all night. Connor shined a bit brighter than S and W with his two goals. Wheeler and Scheifele created so. much. offense. Seeing them go behind Reimer's net was pure bliss; you could expect a high danger chance coming our way at any second. And a lot of them did (Wheeler 8, Connor/Scheif 7 HDCF).

PLR: Mathieu MFing Perreault, what a player. No escape, no giving up, all efficiency. I'm just repeating myself at this point: he led by example and caused so many problems for Florida's defense by relentlessly fighting for the puck. So glad to see him rewarded with a goal. Little was all kinds of reliable; only five CA for him and Roslovic, which is the lowest out of all Jets tonight. Roslovic played very responsibly, which is downright beautiful from a guy with less than twenty games under his belt. How the future unfolds for him, I do not know, but ****, am I eager to find out.

ECL: That's a first. I actually liked this line; Copp seemed to do a lot of puck retrieving, which went well with Ehlers, who held the puck and treid to create things with it (with varying levels of success). Aside from his great goal, Laine was a bit invisible (which by no means should be confused with bad), for he did not get a lot of shots off. They murdered their primary matchup of McGinn-McCann-McVrbata.

PHA: I've seen better. I agree with those who did not like Armia; he has been in a slump recently. Thank god he can still be a threat on the forecheck, which he showcased in this one. Hendricks was his usual self, and I did not think Petan was too bad (outside of one or two careless plays that led to turnovers).

44-57: The worst three-point performance I can think of for Myers. The defensive game still does not instill confidence in my mind, which was said during the game by several people. Offensively, things seem to work out... the Little goal was a beautiful creation of Myers'. Morrissey was decent; I have not noticed him too much as of late, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but he has not been as dominant as he has been at his best.

39-33: Holy Buff, what a game. Led the team in Corsi with 74.29%, and was a general nuisance all over the ice. He had some beautiful reads and plays in the O-zone which resulted in dangerous scoring chances. Enstrom struggled a bit, but overall, he did quite well too. These two had the difficult task of going up against Barkov and Dadonov, by the way.

5-7: If you're willing to look past Dadonov undressing him, Kulikov had a solid night. I loved the back check that prevented a breakaway. Chiarot continues his string of uncharacteristically good performances. Good to see his physicality in there without Lowry and Tanev's presences.

37: A shutout at ES = amazing. Some highway robberies in there, too.
That's harsh man. His 1st period reminded me of Sergei Bautin. The rest of his game was prime Larry Robinson. It's like the guy literally flips a switch sometime. He still takes too many penalties though.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Its not because of Wheeler.
Few nice passes but his last few pp goals . The pass went to Laine but it was all because of the shot.
But if you think Laine leads the league because of Wheeler i have to disagree.
Earlier in tbe season Laine was being use as a decoy and Schiefele was the triggerman.
Laine just asserted himself that he is not just the best in his team but in the entire league.

Reactions: Halberdier

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
All the other central division teams keep on losing :) I love it.

Attachments

• Standings.png
    Standings.png
    129.2 KB · Views: 22

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Holy crap, that's even worse than what I thought happened watching the replay at the game. Reimer should get fined, and that ref should be in the AHL. That's soccer level embellishment. :thumbd:

Yep, Reimer should draw an embellishment fine. Don't be too hard on the ref. He saw it at full speed, from a distance, and had to make a call within two seconds. You and I wouldn't have that skill.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Yep, Reimer should draw an embellishment fine. Don't be too hard on the ref. He saw it at full speed, from a distance, and had to make a call within two seconds. You and I wouldn't have that skill.

I'm not even sure there would have been a call at all until Reimer flopped and the refs huddled up.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Its not because of Wheeler.
Few nice passes but his last few pp goals . The pass went to Laine but it was all because of the shot.
But if you think Laine leads the league because of Wheeler i have to disagree.
Earlier in tbe season Laine was being use as a decoy and Schiefele was the triggerman.
Laine just asserted himself that he is not just the best in his team but in the entire league.
Wheeler is the QB on the PP, he has a lot to do with it's success.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Hard to argue with our PP success. Wheeler has been great on the half wall. His shot selection is much better this year I think. There are times were he is going to have to shoot because he will get great looks from teams covering Laine and Buff way too much.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Wheeler is the QB on the PP, he has a lot to do with it's success.
But not because Laine is the leading pp guy in the league.

Think of it the other way.
Maybe Laine open up so much space for Wheeler in pp, not many poster crap on wheeler being bad anymore?

Anyways my answer was for the bolded.

I still disagree that Wheeler is the reason that Laine lead the league in pp goals.

Sure few goals was near perfect pass. But do you see where Laine was shooting those .? Any other player would not be able to punch that through as often as Laine does.

But Having said that Wheeler and Laine are both great assetts on the Jets pp.

Reactions: Halberdier

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
What a game! Love a good beatdown.

I've said this before but

Head Hit = Penalty + Concussion Protocol

Buff got penalty, but no CP means the spotter called a fake. Smith Reimer should have got a penalty or gone for CP.

I this stage, I'd settle for the league fining Reimer for embellishment.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
But not because Laine is the leading pp guy in the league.

Think of it the other way.
Maybe Laine open up so much space for Wheeler in pp, not many poster crap on wheeler being bad anymore?

Anyways my answer was for the bolded.

I still disagree that Wheeler is the reason that Laine lead the league in pp goals.

Sure few goals was near perfect pass. But do you see where Laine was shooting those .? Any other player would not be able to punch that through as often as Laine does.

But Having said that Wheeler and Laine are both great assetts on the Jets pp.

Nobody said that. Why does this need to turn into a defense of Laine? He wasn't even what the original point was about.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Nobody said that. Why does this need to turn into a defense of Laine? He wasn't even what the original point was about.
You brought it up.
Its not a defense of Laine.
It was an answer to the bolded i highlighted part of your quote.
But if you didn't mean it that way, then i was wrong.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
You brought it up.
Its not a defense of Laine.
It was an answer to the bolded i highlighted part of your quote.
But if you didn't mean it that way, then i was wrong.
It was to counter the point that Wheeler prioritizes shooting on the PP, not that he is the sole reason Laine leads the league in PP goals.

Reactions: Jetsfareast

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I have heard the building explode like that in a long time......when the replay was shown the crowd lost it and went off. It was actually hilarious and really fun because the score was a bit out of hand. James shouldn’t embarrass the ref like that, that play was beyond brutal but man was the BellMTS centre on fire after that.
Yes, the replay at the game looked like Reimer got his stick caught on Buff and went down...didn't even see the arm brush his helmet. It was fun taunting Reimer - has he ever had a good game in Winnipeg? All my memories are of him getting lit up and chased out.

Reactions: Ducky10

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Looks a bit like Wheeler's controller got disconnected there. :laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yes, the replay at the game looked like Reimer got his stick caught on Buff and went down...didn't even see the arm brush his helmet. It was fun taunting Reimer - has he ever had a good game in Winnipeg? All my memories are of him getting lit up and chased out.

I don’t think he has had a good game yet in BellMTS? The crowd gets on him and he seems to get rattled.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Also, as much grief (and IMO unwarranted) that Chiarot takes on here he is playing fantasic hockey on the bottom pairing on his OFF side and have complete confidence that he can continue that stability in the playoffs, especially when/if Perry or any agitator needs an ego check again. Major props to him
Chiarot's playing his natural side. Kulikov's on his off-side to accommodate Chiarot's paucity of talent and defensive acuity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad