Post-Game Talk: Reimer Dives. TOUCHDOWN! Jets destroy Panthers 7-2

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Earlier in the season when ELL was really struggling, I suggested that they put Copp at C with Ehlers and Laine, because Copp is a big body and he can really skate and get on the puck and create room. I thought Little looked like he couldn't really get in on the puck as effectively, and neither Ehlers nor Laine are great at forechecking and creating turnovers. Copp is also not bad in terms of vision and passing. So far, I've liked that combination. It would be nice if Copp finished a few more of his chances, but they are getting good chances and not giving up that much defensively.
It's a bit of that missing link that kind of neutered ELL - someone's gotta do the digging. Although I wouldn't mind seeing Maurice try Petan between Ehlers and Laine either like he hinted at the other day. Playmaking C between two shooters seems like it might work out to the benefit of all.

Reactions: Robinson2187

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Well that's the second game I had spoiled this week.
I've become close to a master at this (recording the game and starting after it ends - sometimes - without knowing the score).
Tuesday I overheard a conversation after a sports game and that took away a bit of the glory of the Caps win.

Tonight however was the strangest one of the 2.0 era.

I was at the in-laws for dinner.
They recorded the game and we started watching around 8:15 or so.
There's always lots of jokes about how uptight I am about finding out the score.
This was mentioned multiple times at dinner.

So, we're watching the game.
I think it was 1-1 or maybe 2-1 Jets and my fiance's dad reads out the score from his phone as 4 - 2...

I just had to shake my head.
WE'RE watching the game together...
I had an internal meltdown but kept it together as the man is 80 years old.

NEW rule no more watching delayed games at the in-laws!
That or I'm confiscating their devices.

In just about every situation, it's a good idea to let Ron Swanson be your guide. ;)

giphy.gif

PerryPooley

Dec 28, 2011
It's a bit of that missing link that kind of neutered ELL - someone's gotta do the digging. Although I wouldn't mind seeing Maurice try Petan between Ehlers and Laine either like he hinted at the other day. Playmaking C between two shooters seems like it might work out to the benefit of all.
Petan doesn’t dig pucks out very well yet

Reactions: KB1971

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I have heard the building explode like that in a long time......when the replay was shown the crowd lost it and went off. It was actually hilarious and really fun because the score was a bit out of hand. James shouldn’t embarrass the ref like that, that play was beyond brutal but man was the BellMTS centre on fire after that.

Visiting players should be cautioned: Do not do anything to wake up the 13th man. Well, technically, the 7th man. :nod:

Reactions: ps241

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
He doesn't prioritize the shot, why do you think Laine leads the league in PP goals?

Because Laine converts at a much higher rate than others. I wouldn't be surprised if he converted attempts into goals 3 or 4 times more than Wheeler on PP.

Wheeler does need to shoot but I would suggest low shots from that area for him. Rebound shots. He sends the puck out of the zone if he misses the top corner and if you are shooting at 7% it's probably best to play it safer.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Quick question.......did they show the two people dressed as grumpy old men on tv who were holding up the the sign that said “Finnapeg”?

I got a chuckle.

Reactions: Robinson2187

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Because Laine converts at a much higher rate than others. I wouldn't be surprised if he converted attempts into goals 3 or 4 times more than Wheeler on PP.

Wheeler does need to shoot but I would suggest low shots from that area for him. Rebound shots. He sends the puck out of the zone if he misses the top corner and if you are shooting at 7% it's probably best to play it safer.
That's true, not the context of what I said though.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Of course he is appreciated. He is anyway an overrated player generally. So of course there will be a lot of articles praising him. And even I’m not saying that he is after all a bad player. Just not nearly as good as he is often claimed to be. My problem with him is exactly that the more important the game and when he plays against real top opponents lines, he is pretty much clueless and fails at least often miserably. He is good against the worst and mediocre teams, and as well the more mediocre top lines. But he is practically failing most of the time in the tougher situations, and against the tougher opponents. Even that footage in that article was against the Canucks, one of the worse teams in the NHL.

Not a bad player definitely, just not a real top player either, although a lot of people like to put him up there already. But Kopitar, Bergeron, MacKinnon, Scheifele, Tavares and several others are a tier or two above him when really looking at top class centers. Maybe he will still get to that level, as he is still younger than most of the real top class centers, but I just don’t see him at all at the level of those centers at the moment, because of the reasons that I have already mentioned.

Last edited:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

Such a great example of what Wheels does best on the PP. The penetration and shot threat opens everything up. Two guys converge on Wheels, Reimer still has to protect against the shot, the forward collapsing into the slot towards Scheifele has to decide between him and Laine, Wheeler sees it, boom goal. Pick your poison really.

So many weapons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad