GDT: Red Wings vs. Flyers (7:30, NBCSN)

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Bertuzzi wouldn't have scored on a soccer net tonight. He has played well since being up with the team, but you can't miss blatant empty net opportunities like that.

Mantha is starting to worry me. He is so invisible.

This team is just so inconsistent. We aren't bad enough to get top talent, we aren't good enough to compete. I feel like this is going to happen for a while. We are stuck. Need to suck to get better or nothing will change.

Its been this way since Lidstrom retired really, except we've slowly deteriorated even more. Now we're pretty bad, but i think our suckage will stop here. Dont see us getting any worse unless Holland intentionally does a full rebuild. We need to get really lucky with the draft lottery, its my only hope at this point.

Reactions: RedWingzz

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Easily offsides. Puck wash shot back in by his team-mate before he tagged up. Here's a screen capture

It's hard to tell because that's a tiny blurry image but his skate looks like it's still on the blueline, making it onside.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Its been this way since Lidstrom retired really, except we've slowly deteriorated even more. Now we're pretty bad, but i think our suckage will stop here. Dont see us getting any worse unless Holland intentionally does a full rebuild. We need to get really lucky with the draft lottery, its my only hope at this point.

Prescription:
1) Trade Green
2) Trade Howard and go with Mrazek/Coreau
3) Talk to Z about trading him.
4) Trade Nyquist
5) Trade Daley

We'll sink to 3rd worst in the league.

That's a pretty aggressive blow up.
But even 3 of these would be pretty substantial

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
He definitely tagged up. The only way it's offside is if he touched the puck with his stick before doing so, which it didn't look like he did.

Yeah, he was about to. then he realized he'd be offside, I think, so he waited.
And since Larkin was standing there whining instead of working, he had no reason to act hastily.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
We all saw the play man. Give it up.

Then why are you making bold face lies on exactly how it happened? It is clear as day. I don't think you watched it. I honestly dont.

The photo is right there as plain as day and you're going to act like it's photoshop or something? Lol

Replay the game again

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He definitely tagged up. The only way it's offside is if he touched the puck with his stick before doing so, which it didn't look like he did.

I would not debate the tag. It could be coincidence but he swings at the puck there and it goes from on edge to flat right as the heel of his stick goes by. Do I think there was a ton of contact absolutely not, ultimately you cannot tell so the call on the ice stands. I mean that is a ton of puck luck that it goes from on edge to completely flat right as he swings at it with his stick while offside. You also have the debate of he attempted to play the puck while in an offside position which should draw a whistle. Just wasn't our night unfortunately, he got his feet back assuming he didn't touch the puck and or you don't want to call him swinging at it while offside and either slightly nudging it or impacting the puck by the rules.

If, during the course of the delayed off-side, any member of the
attacking team touches the puck, attempts to gain possession of a
loose puck
, forces the defending puck carrier further back into his own
zone, or who is about to make physical contact with the defending
puck carrier, the Linesman shall stop play for the off-side violation.

By their own NHL rulebook the linesman really should have blown the play dead as soon as there was an attempt to play the puck with his stick while in an offside position. I don't expect them to do that, but then again they called charging tonight consistent to the rulebook in a manner which it hasn't been called in almost two decades or more.

We didn't play well enough to win tonight, that is the bottom line. Our best player also quit on the play after a turnover which really bothers you about that whole thing. Athanasiou didn't hit high gear to bail him out, the ending sucked, but when you only play hard for 20 some minutes you get what you deserve.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
mrazek comes back down to earth. softie overtime goal and bad decision to not cover the puck that led to flyers second goal. but still would like to see him get another start or two before they even think about going back to howard

He played well enough on a back to back. If he has another game like this vs Chicago it’ll be pretty soft

But he got a point so no matter what the argument is still he beats Howard in every way. We need to tank (mrazek has worse stats on the season). We need to win (mrazek is the hot hand right now). We need to trade a goalie and get value (mrazek has more value and will get more with more gp)

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Then why are you making bold face lies on exactly how it happened? It is clear as day. I don't think you watched it. I honestly dont.

The photo is right there as plain as day and you're going to act like it's photoshop or something? Lol

Replay the game again

You can't judge a play by a still photo.
You don't even know the rules. You just said a player must have both skates outside the zone.

Not sure what broadcast you watched, but the NBCSN broadcast made it obvious - it was good.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I would not debate the tag. It could be coincidence but he swings at the puck there and it goes from on edge to flat right as the heel of his stick goes by. Do I think there was a ton of contact absolutely not, ultimately you cannot tell so the call on the ice stands. I mean that is a ton of puck luck that it goes from on edge to completely flat right as he swings at it with his stick while offside. You also have the debate of he attempted to play the puck while in an offside position which should draw a whistle. Just wasn't our night unfortunately, he got his feet back assuming he didn't touch the puck and or you don't want to call him swinging at it while offside and either slightly nudging it or impacting the puck by the rules.

By their own NHL rulebook the linesman really should have blown the play dead as soon as there was an attempt to play the puck with his stick while in an offside position. I don't expect them to do that, but then again they called charging tonight consistent to the rulebook in a manner which it hasn't been called in almost two decades or more.

We didn't play well enough to win tonight, that is the bottom line. Our best player also quit on the play after a turnover which really bothers you about that whole thing. Athanasiou didn't hit high gear to bail him out, the ending sucked, but when you only play hard for 20 some minutes you get what you deserve.

Pretty hard to judge intent to play the puck.
He was just getting in position to play it.
I mean, if you went by that interpretation of the rule, there'd be a lot more offsides in this league.

NBCSN had one angle (from a lower viewpoint) that showed he clearly did not touch the puck.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
You can't judge a play by a still photo.
You don't even know the rules. You just said a player must have both skates outside the zone.

Not sure what broadcast you watched, but the NBCSN broadcast made it obvious - it was good.

Did you even see the tape provided by NBCSN? By the sounds of things you did not.

And here's another screen grab just as he knocked the puck down as you can see both skates are clearly in the white. I have to question if you know hockey.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Start and stop this video at the key frame.
He clearly lifts his stick OVER the puck as it falls to its side.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Pretty hard to judge intent to play the puck.
He was just getting in position to play it.
I mean, if you went by that interpretation of the rule, there'd be a lot more offsides in this league.

NBCSN had one angle (from a lower viewpoint) that showed he clearly did not touch the puck.

Just watch this. Start from 3/4 in. You can see like a million replay's slowed down.
NHL Live Games Video & Streaming Schedule | NHL.com

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

See I think the reason it lays flat is the heel of his stick contacting it, but there is certainly nothing conclusive and the call on the ice stands at that point. You can also debate was the blade of his skate back when it happened. Like I said by literal interpretation of the rulebook you could make a case by him doing that while offside it should be already dead. It is what it is. I don't think this is a game worth getting really upset about the ending.

The two young guys we have playing off the charts also seemed more interested in arguing calls than continuing to do their jobs which bothers me more than debating this call.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
You can literally see the puck getting knocked down by his stick on that one.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Start and stop this video at the key frame.
He clearly lifts his stick OVER the puck as it falls to its side.

Using YOUR source you can see where the toe of his stick stops the puck as he took the pass from his team mate. You can clearly see this from the angle I posted.

FROM YOUR SOURCE:

Watch the million angles on NBCSN and you'll where he touched it better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad