Prospect Info: Red Wings Prospect Tracker - Part VI - The Next Wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anchor Town*

Look at where most players make big strides offensively in junior and its the year right after their draft year. Maybe the guys who actually watch players play and picked him where they did know something more than internet posters, who knows

No it's not, it's the year before their draft year.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
On the RWC list I really dont think Sheahan should be ahead of Sproul at this point at all, hes making a pretty smooth transition to the pro game (working on his D but the offense is still there). If I had a choice between keeping one of Janmark or Athanasiou I would keep Janmark, dunno why hes lower rated

Sheahan over Sproul, and Janmark ranked as low as he is.... those were the same two things that most jumped out at me at first glance as well.

I think Jensen might be a little low too, but he hasn't played yet this year, so tough to make an argument for him. At the bottom of the list, I'd break the tie and put Bertuzzi a tad ahead of Callahan.

I think that with those 2 in particular they are playing it safe. Janmark may need more sustained production and then if he keeps it up over the season will fly up the rankings. The same can be said for Sproul but it's more about him putting up points while improving his defensive game.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
No it's not, it's the year before their draft year.

The year before their draft year is their rookie season in probably 95% of the players, last year only 4 played a full 2 seasons before their draft year and were drafted in the first round. And that doesnt even count players who didnt even play the year before their draft year in Junior. That number would go down by a lot in the second and third rounds as well

Offensively, players take a huge stride right after their draft year and I have no clue why you would think different

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I'd start with the fact that Jarnkrok's transition hasn't been that smooth to the NA game.

He wasn't picking up points at first but everyone was saying that the points would come & that he had a very good defensive game to make up for his lack of production. Now that he has settled in his past 5 games he has 5 points. Not only that but he IIRC he is using his shot far more than he ever did in the SHL.

Anchor Town*

The year before their draft year is their rookie season in probably 95% of the players, last year only 4 played a full 2 seasons before their draft year and were drafted in the first round. And that doesnt even count players who didnt even play the year before their draft year in Junior. That number would go down by a lot in the second and third rounds as well

Offensively, players take a huge stride right after their draft year and I have no clue why you would think different

Oh you're only talking about their production going up. That's a no brainer that they'll get more production their second year. I'm referring to getting better as hockey players. They improve in that regard the most their first year of junior hockey after their last year of youth hockey.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I'd start with the fact that Jarnkrok's transition hasn't been that smooth to the NA game.

I've only watched one game, but talking to people who have watched most or all of them, they seem to agree that Jarnkrok's transition has been pretty good.

I think a pretty solid argument can be made for each of our top-4 prospects being #1. Personally, I like the order RWC uses, but they're all so close.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Oh you're only talking about their production going up. That's a no brainer that they'll get more production their second year. I'm referring to getting better as hockey players. They improve in that regard the most their first year of junior hockey after their last year of youth hockey.

I'm talking about when they break out and become go to guys on their team. Ya they improve a lot over that first year obviously but the big year where it all comes to fruition on the ice is pretty much always the year right after their draft year. I'm not only talking about production I'm talking about all their development after one full year in junior, they come out and know what theyre doing and become the top guys on their teams

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Re: RWC's ranking I still like the safer bet in Ouellet a bit higher. But Jurco is #1 for me due to his potential + already strong AHL level.

My top10:
Jurco
Ouellet
Mantha
Jarnkrok
Sproul
Mrazek
Sheahan
Backman
Pulkkinen
Marchenko

Ferraro and Almqvist are right there with Pulks and Marchy.

Aug 6, 2012
Re: RWC's ranking I still like the safer bet in Ouellet a bit higher. But Jurco is #1 for me due to his potential + already strong AHL level.

My top10:
Jurco
Ouellet
Mantha
Jarnkrok
Sproul
Mrazek
Sheahan
Backman
Pulkkinen
Marchenko

Totally agree with you on Ouellet. He should be in everyone's top 3 IMO.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I took Ranking averages from four different sources.

1. Hockey's Future rankings
2. Red Wings Central rankings
3. Hockey Prospectus rankings
4. Our own HF Boards poll -ranking

And got these results:

Pos - Name - Average Rank

1. Nyquist 1,7
2. Järnkrok 2,3
3. Mrazek 2,3
4. Mantha 4,0
5. Tatar 4,0
6. DeKeyser 4,5
7. Jurco 5,5
8. Ouellet 6,0
9. Sproul 7,0
10. Sheahan 8,0
11. Bäckman 10,3
12. Frk 10,5
13. Pulkkinen 10,8
14. Ferraro 11,0
15. Marchenko 14,0
16. Almquist 14,5
17. Athanasiou 14,8
18. Jensen 15,3
19. Janmark 15,5
20. Nastasiuk 16,0
21. Tvrdon 16,5
22. Glendening 18,7
23. Paterson 19,3
24. Lashoff 20,0
25. Callahan 20,5
26. McKee 21,5
27. Bertuzzi 22,0
28. Nedomlel 23,0

Brandel*

Which line did Jurco play on last year and did he get PP time?

and what's it like this year? Line/PP time?

Looking for same info with Pulk

Sorry, I don't follow the Griffins all that much with the Wings and the Mooseheads taking up the most of my time. Mainly just stats, scoresheets and some articles every once and a while for the grifs.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Looking for same info with Pulk

Sorry, I don't follow the Griffins all that much with the Wings and the Mooseheads taking up the most of my time. Mainly just stats, scoresheets and some articles every once and a while for the grifs.

Jurco bounced around a bit last year, he played third line especially at the start of the year with Ferraro if I remember correctly. He would get bumped up in the top 6 though, especially towards the end of the year. He always got PP time but it was mostly second unit.

This year hes on the top line and gets a lot of the scoring minutes

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

He spent the end of the year on a line with Sheahan. I forget the other winger. For a little while it was Jurco/Sheahan/Pulkkinen. He got 2nd unit PP time, I believe.

This year, it's Jurco/Jarnkrok/Nyquist, which is the first line. They're also the first PP unit. (usually with Sproul and Almquist, when he's there.)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He spent the end of the year on a line with Sheahan. I forget the other winger. For a little while it was Jurco/Sheahan/Pulkkinen. He got 2nd unit PP time, I believe.

This year, it's Jurco/Jarnkrok/Nyquist, which is the first line. They're also the first PP unit. (usually with Sproul and Almquist, when he's there.)

It was mostly Jurco - Sheahan - Pare.

He started from the 2nd line, struggled, was demoted in the 4th line at some point. And when NHL season started, Red Wings called Andersson and either of Nyquist/Tatar, then he promoted back to 2nd line and get his game going.

^^^

i recall that we didn't have tatar and nyquist in our rankings.. maybe not dekeyser either.

Yeah, didn't matter in those averages. Those were left "empty". Some averages only consist of 2-3 rankings.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

My top10:
Jurco
Ouellet
Mantha
Jarnkrok
Sproul
Mrazek
Sheahan
Backman
Pulkkinen
Marchenko

Totally agree with you on Ouellet. He should be in everyone's top 3 IMO.

I really like Ouellet, but he's not top-3 for me. He's just not on the level of Jarnkrok, Mrazek, Jurco, and Mantha. Ouellet may be more NHL-ready than most of them, but his upside is lower. My top-10 would probably be:

Jarnkrok
Mrazek
Jurco
Mantha
Sproul
Ouellet
Backman
Sheahan
Janmark
Ferraro

EDIT: HM Marchenko :)

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Another goal and 2 (primary) assists for Mantha.

The assists came with a little over 20 seconds left and then in overtime. That came against one of the best teams in the Q.

Bertuzzi with two assists as his team put in another massive blowout.

Paterson and Saginaw lose 5-3 39-44 on the game.

Nasty nothing in a tight loss for Owen Sound.

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
Do you guys think Mantha is going to jump straight to the NHL next year or spend some time in Grand Rapids first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad