2023-2024 EPL Season

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Let's just say it's not a coincidence that the Arsenal's defense is significantly better and the only standout change has been Raya over Ramsdale. Ramsdale is a better shot stopper, but Raya is much better at claiming crosses, which is more important for our defense.

What's wild is how willing he is to put his body on the line to claim crosses after getting his face smashed in by Jay Rodriguez while playing for Blackburn years ago.

Edit: Declan Rice also a major change, but the point still stands that Raya has been fantastic.
No argument here, he's the best Spanish goalkeeper in my book. Spanish coach keeps starting Unai Simon though, who I Don't think is the best goalkeeper in Bilbao anymore...

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Yeah, I caught that in my edit after. Rice deserves as much praise as anyone, but Raya has been fantastic as well.
see i'd also argue with that

raya's keeping is the reason why arsenal's conceded stat isn't even better than it is

their defense (both as a back line and as a team) is leaps and bounds the best in the league, but his stopping and (occasionally) distribution cause serious problems that are not compensated for by his cross claiming.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The Adidas leaked design for Arsenal's home kit doesn't look great either tbh. Looks like they tried to make us aerodynamic or something. But they have put out bangers for us the past 3 years.
A lot of the kits I have seen this year are awful. Nike/Adidas/Puma, across the board.

LFC kit is horrible
Arsenal kit is horrible
Tottenham has got made an ugly Arsenal kit

I will always take Adidas for their track jackets and Sambas though.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
see i'd also argue with that

raya's keeping is the reason why arsenal's conceded stat isn't even better than it is

their defense (both as a back line and as a team) is leaps and bounds the best in the league, but his stopping and (occasionally) distribution cause serious problems that are not compensated for by his cross claiming.
Raya is a net positive in his distribution IMO and his distribution and his cross claiming are key parts of our style of play. If his shot stopping were at the same levels as his distribution and cross claiming, he'd be the best goalkeeper in the world.

Arsenal instead focuses on shot/chance prevention.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
I think the fact that we will also have to follow UEFA's financial percentage rules has played a role.

Based on what is known currently, it must have played a role in Villa's voting. But Idon't think PL can have financial rules that differ fundamentally a lot from UEFA's rules.

If they do, it could lead to weird situations for clubs, when a club qualifying for Europe is much more financially restricted than the bottom half clubs. Say a club like Villa has revenue of 400M and are only allowed to spend 70% (280 M) of it. But the bottom half PL clubs can spend 400M if they have a rich owner and can afford the spending. Suddenly Villa would be in danger of relegation because they're in Europe.

I think this could mean some clubs turning down Conference League spot, maybe even Europe League spot, even though you can qualify for CL through it.

A club would already need to be a rich club with huge revenue to be able to afford playing in Europe.

We'll also have to wait and see what's the result of Man City's suing of the PL, claiming that any restrictions on owner spending and amount/source of sponsorship are illegal.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Truly shocking that a bunch of fraudsters are getting charged with fraud.
This is another top to bottom disaster. PL just doesn’t care who it gets into bed with at this stage.

They never should have cleared 777 in the first place, but so much is self inflicted by Everton too

Last edited:
Reactions: JPBolts

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
So, does 777 actually have the money to complete the takeover with these latest developments, or do they have to abandon it?
We are about to find out, but I think the more relevant question is do the PL care if they do or not/is it too late?

This has been obvious for months too

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
This is another top to bottom disaster. PL just doesn’t care who it gets into bed with at this stage.

They never should have cleared 777 in the first place, but so much is self inflicted by Everton too

wait, the PL cleared 777? I thought they hadn't, and were still going through the owners and directors tests b/c of the other teams that 777 own

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad