Red Wings Draft Thread 2013

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
What's Rasmus Ristolainen's upside?

Given his size, his offensive talent and his physicality, I would say that worst case scenario he ends up as a Jonathan Ericsson like player.

TBH, Ristolainen said in interviews that he tries to style himself after Pronger, everything from the physicality to the grittiness, etc. From everything he has shown on ice, he is doing a pretty good job channeling him.

As much as I hated Pronger when the Wings played against him, I say kudos to Rasmus for choosing to play with that kind of style; he could really prove to be a player to watch in the future, and if we couldn't get Jones in the draft, he would be an excellent consolation prize.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I like Ristolainen a lot, and he's been mentioned as the best d-man after Jones in a bunch of rankings. He has all the tools to be a top pair d-man.

JimLaheyprobert

Nov 19, 2012
i think darnell nurse would be a great pick, getting a big shut down d man with skill and a mean streak are very hard to find

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Zadorov, Ristolainen and Nurse are similar players in that sense. Tough, mean, big with huge reach, pretty mobile and can chip in offensively too. Risto probably has the biggest offensive upside though.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Zadorov, Ristolainen and Nurse are similar players in that sense. Tough, mean, big with huge reach, pretty mobile and can chip in offensively too. Risto probably has the biggest offensive upside though.

Where's will these be picked? (perhaps highest possible pick versus lowest slipping pick) Are any of them near 15-20? or they all top15 picks?

I'm asking because I wonder if Detroit must miss the playoffs by a big margin to have a chance of them or can still have a chance by just slightly missing the playoffs (pretty probably)

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Where's will these be picked? (perhaps highest possible pick versus lowest slipping pick) Are any of them near 15-20? or they all top15 picks?

I'm asking because I wonder if Detroit must miss the playoffs by a big margin to have a chance of them or can still have a chance by just slightly missing the playoffs (pretty probably)

Well, there are always surprises at the draft and kids can still slip but imo they are all looking like top 15 picks. IIRC they have been on most rankings that way with some fluctuations ofc. Risto is probably around 7-10 and Nurse and Zadorov 10-15 for me. May slip to 15-20 but wouldn't bet on it. 6'4-5 defenders who are mean and can skate are really intriguing.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere

NHL Central Scouting actually has Zadarov and Nurse in the second round.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Source? The midterm rankings have Nurse @ 9th and Zadarov @30th
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=85643
Also
FC has Nurse at 7th and Zadarov at 9th

http://futureconsiderations.ca/fc-releases-january-ranking-for-2013-nhl-draft/

IMO both will both be Top 15 maybe Zadarov slips (unlikely) but I still think he goes top 25 at the very least. I'd be happy with either of these guys

Here is the Source.

In any case, that is the Central Scouting ranks for CHL and North American players only. It doesn't take into account European draft eligible players.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
If the upside to this season is 1st round elimination, perhaps management could package a player or two at the trade deadline for a first round pick. At this point, I'm certain that even Holland is aware that this team is in rebuilding mode; I only wish he had come to terms with that sooner.

Also, it seems as if this would be a good draft to try and load up on physical defensemen; between Ristolainen, Nurse and Zadorov, perhaps we could nab 2 of these players for a fairly quick improvement to our defense, assuming of course that we don't keep them caged up in Grand Rapids for five years in favor of older players that have been forced into the AHL for good reason.

IMHO, our defense needs gritty defense focused defensemen, and has been left wanting since it lost Konstantinov's juggernaut presence. Offensive defensemen are also an obvious need for today's game, but you can't have offensive defensemen fumble around, as they often have, while our backchecking forwards stand idly by, as they often have, and not clear the players screening your goalie, etc.

An effective team builds off of a combined defense, or ideally a physical, defensively capable defense that has some offensive flair as well. If you are willing to acknowledge that this is a rebuilding period to the Wings, I propose that the ideal place to start is with a solid defensive core; obviously, Boston's approach to its structure comes to mind -- they don't always score goals in droves, and as far as the modern Boston roster, it seems as if they have had to really grind out goals at times, but they are building in a manner that allows them some security against Philidelphia-esque absurdly porous defense/goaltending. Perhaps it's time to re-build accordingly?

Last edited:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
If the upside to this season is 1st round elimination, perhaps management could package a player or two at the trade deadline for a first round pick. At this point, I'm certain that even Holland is aware that this team is in rebuilding mode; I only wish he had come to terms with that sooner.

Also, it seems as if this would be a good draft to try and load up on physical defensemen; between Ristolainen, Nurse and Zadorov, perhaps we could nab 2 of these players for a fairly quick improvement to our defense, assuming of course that we don't keep them caged up in Grand Rapids for five years in favor of older players that have been forced into the AHL for good reason.

IMHO, our defense needs gritty defense focused defensemen, and has been left wanting since it lost Konstantinov's juggernaut presence. Offensive defensemen are also an obvious need for today's game, but you can't have offensive defensemen fumble around, as they often have, while our backchecking forwards stand idly by, as they often have, and not clear the players screening your goalie, etc.

An effective team builds off of a combined defense, or ideally a physical, defensively capable defense that has some offensive flair as well. If you are willing to acknowledge that this is a rebuilding period to the Wings, I propose that the ideal place to start is with a solid defensive core; obviously, Boston's approach to its structure comes to mind -- they don't always score goals in droves, and as far as the modern Boston roster, it seems as if they have had to really grind out goals at times, but they are building in a manner that allows them some security against Philidelphia-esque absurdly porous defense/goaltending. Perhaps it's time to re-build accordingly?

I think we're re-building properly. Slow, but properly. Kenny's own words of the process he's doing is "re-tool", basically sign stop gaps until the farm is grown and ready. He's just taking it too far with some of these guys. But - he hasn't traded away a single prospect in a pool of guys that's rising as we speak. If we go as deep as to our 10th prospect we're still finding quality like Ferraro or Sproul. In the 15-20 range we can still find Athanasiou or Quine. Most team rankings have our pool top10, some as high as top3. So there's a huge positive.

Size on the back end I'm not too worried about. We have Smith who's 6'1/6'2, Backman and Marchenko are 6'2, Sproul is 6'4. Those are more in the skill guys department. Then we have Lashoff, Nedomlel and McKee who are 6'3+ physical stay-at-home guys. Then there's a few more guys like Ouellet, Almqvist and Jensen rounding things out. I see a good balance there. Maybe lacks one guy who brings both adequate physical play and puck movement at the same time, obviously those guys are probably the hardest to come by aswell.

I think the biggest weakness of our pool is sizable forwards with skill. There's a lot of skill between Nyquist, Tatar and Jarnkrok but neither has size. Sheahan and Andersson have size but they're not quite as skilled. Jurco probably is the closest we have with size and top end skill, but he's got ways to go. Tvrdon is a long shot. Beyond the absolute top of the draft there's still Nichushkin, Gauthier, Mantha or de la Rose. But I don't think you should ever take size over skill in the first round. If you get both that's great, if not you take the 6 feet guy with more skill.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
I think, based on those rankings, that Robert Hag will be drafted by the wings. In regards to size and skilled forwards... If Nichushkin starts falling due to the Russian Factor, I think it's imperative we trade up and grab him.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I think, based on those rankings, that Robert Hag will be drafted by the wings. In regards to size and skilled forwards... If Nichushkin starts falling due to the Russian Factor, I think it's imperative we trade up and grab him.

Probably gonna get stiff competition from Stevie. In the last two drafts he's taken Namestnikov, Kucherov, Nesterov, Vasilevski and Gusev. I figure he'll be high on Nichushkin if he starts falling.

Hagg would be a decent pick in the late 1st. He's got size, he's gritty and he's got a boomer of a shot. There's a bit of Willie Mitchell with puck movement in him.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
What kind of style does Hägg play, any NHL-comparable? And is Lucas Wallmark any good?

Ok, thanks joe89. Hadn't refreshed the page.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Probably gonna get stiff competition from Stevie. In the last two drafts he's taken Namestnikov, Kucherov, Nesterov, Vasilevski and Gusev. I figure he'll be high on Nichushkin if he starts falling.

Hagg would be a decent pick in the late 1st. He's got size, he's gritty and he's got a boomer of a shot. There's a bit of Willie Mitchell with puck movement in him.

I guess a former teammate to the Russian 5 would make him bold to draft Russians. He would understand that Russia is a hockey gold mine more than anyone.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
What kind of style does Hägg play, any NHL-comparable? And is Lucas Wallmark any good?

Ok, thanks joe89. Hadn't refreshed the page.

I find comparables hard. But Hagg clears the crease, he likes to dish out hits. From there he plays a pretty simple game. He both pass and skate the puck out of the zone.

I have seen Wallmark a little. He had very awkward skating, but he builds his game on smartness, playmaking. I see a little of William Karlsson in him. He's one of the youngest guys in the draft and just started playing regularly with men where he's doing well.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I think the biggest weakness of our pool is sizable forwards with skill. There's a lot of skill between Nyquist, Tatar and Jarnkrok but neither has size. Sheahan and Andersson have size but they're not quite as skilled. Jurco probably is the closest we have with size and top end skill, but he's got ways to go. Tvrdon is a long shot. Beyond the absolute top of the draft there's still Nichushkin, Gauthier, Mantha or de la Rose. But I don't think you should ever take size over skill in the first round. If you get both that's great, if not you take the 6 feet guy with more skill.

One guy who seems to have it all is Athanasiou. He's listed as 6'2" at the OHL website although the Wings have him listed at 6'. He's a great skater, can PK and has high end offensive skill. It's also good to see Sheahan start to produce offense in the AHL, I haven't given up on him being a top 6 forward just yet. With that being said I do think we need more top 6 guys with size who can skate. Those guys are tough to get with how late we tend to draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad