Red Wings Draft Thread 2013

RomersWorld*

Man... If we could get a Nichushkin....Or heck our future as is makes me drool so much...

Valeri Nichushkin-Calle Jarnkrok-Teemu Pulkinnen
Gustav Nyquist-Riley Sheahan-Tomas Jurco
Andreas Athanasiou-Landon Ferraro-Martin Frk
Pontus Bodin-Joakim Andersson-Mitch Callahan

Xavier Ouellet-Ryan Sproul
Brendan Smith-Alexei Marchenko
Danny DeKyser-Mattias Backman

Petr Mrazek
Jake Paterson

:D:D:D

That future Wings' lineup makes me drool as well...as a Hawks' fan. :laugh:

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Surprised Dano would come play in the WHL, he already plays in the KHL and makes good money would be my guess.
i forgot that slovan bratislava joined KHL last year. dano is playing in slovakia, not in russia, so dano is still living at home, but probably making more money (and probably more than he would until he joined NHL).

that probably makes it a lot more likely for him to stay in KHL.

Last edited:

RedWingsNow*

By 2103, Tatar and Nyquist should finally get a chance and Smith should be established.
I think i'd go for a center

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I'm really not that high on Nichushkin. Wouldn't probably take him at the top ten, at least.

Not sure if I saw him make one good pass during the whole tournament. He's big, he's strong, he can skate and plays hard but has no vision.

Well maybe it will work for him but he's very raw at this point. And could get some big KHL money, that 3-yr contract tells something about his willingness to play in NA.. or lack of it.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
By 2103, Tatar and Nyquist should finally get a chance and Smith should be established.
I think i'd go for a center

U R 2 funny, (a joke on the over seasoning?) I think the wings will bring them up b4 then - they'll be 120 yrs old

Anchor Town*

I'm really not that high on Nichushkin. Wouldn't probably take him at the top ten, at least.

Not sure if I saw him make one good pass during the whole tournament. He's big, he's strong, he can skate and plays hard but has no vision.

Well maybe it will work for him but he's very raw at this point. And could get some big KHL money, that 3-yr contract tells something about his willingness to play in NA.. or lack of it.

Considering we're prolly picking around 20-25, he'd be a great pick there. Only thing we're missing now is a forward with size and skill

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
any opinions on some of the d-men? some of us must have seen some of them.

morrissey, ristolainen, nurse (teammate of sproul), zadorov, ian mccoshen, hagg, tom vannelli, michael downing, dillon heatherington

agree

does not seem like a smart player, and relied almost entirely on physical talent. OTOH, yakupov was 1st overall and he played basically the same dumb speed and power game at WJC as nichushkin. he did not generally play like that in OHL based on video i have seen.

in top 10 there are probably several better players available. i probably would not pick nichushkin in the 1st round.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

morrissey, ristolainen, nurse (teammate of sproul), zadorov, ian mccoshen, hagg, tom vannelli, michael downing, dillon heatherington

Nurse has been rising hard this season. Good skater for his size, physical, mean. Excellent in his zone. Time will tell if he has enough offense in him. Much better D than Sproul has, for example.

Ristolainen is tough SOB. Physical, mean, could improve d-zone coverage a little. Hockey IQ is good. Has a hard shot, offensive upside is not out of this world imo but he can chip in offensively, good first pass can move the puck. Skating is good for big man. Could be steal somewhat if he falls out of top ten. May not have #1 PP QB ability on him, offensive vision isn't that great imo. Excelling in FEL against men, looked awesome in WJCs.

Zadorov is another big man, can play physical, pretty smart. Not sure how much offense he has on him but looks very sure-fire defensive D who can pk well at NHL-level. Another pretty mobile skater for that size.

Hägg looked ok during the WJCs.. made some mistakes but he's very young. Good frame, good skater. Nice vision imo. Apparently Håkan is really high on him. Great tools.

Wouldn't be disappointed with any of them.

I'd rank them

Ristolainen
Zadorov/Nurse
Hägg.

Have seen the least of Hägg, but Häkan wants kid, you know what that means. Zadorov and Nurse are similar, big mobile defensemen with good reach and they know how to use it. Questions about off. potential. Ristolainen is the most complete out of these imo. Don't know how Hägg has played in SEL, but stats don't look that great when Ristolainen looks good against men and had better WJCs imo.

Sergei DRW

Nov 17, 2010
Nichushkin would be a good use of a mid to late 1st round pick regardless of how he compares to Nash. The comments about him lacking vision don't really bother me at this stage. I think he would bring a nice dimension to the organization.

195 cm height, 95 kg weight at the age of 17!!!
The guy is going to be an absolute tank in a few seasons. And he has Kovalchuk's hands to boot.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
My top 5

Mack
Jones
Barkov
Drouin
Lindholm
Monahan

If the wings pick around 10 guys I want:

Shinkaruk, maybe Nurse but the wings need forwards

Around 15:

Domi (reall ylike him), would take a hard look at Mantha or Erne as well

Around 20:

Rychel for sure, would take a long look at Bo Horvat. Gauthier as well.

After that its too much of a crapshoot and I havent paid much attention to players outside of the top 20ish range when I've watched games

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

With that you'd go down as at least one of the biggest fails in draft history. Nichushkin is the new Malkin in the making.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

agree

does not seem like a smart player, and relied almost entirely on physical talent. OTOH, yakupov was 1st overall and he played basically the same dumb speed and power game at WJC as nichushkin. he did not generally play like that in OHL based on video i have seen.

in top 10 there are probably several better players available. i probably would not pick nichushkin in the 1st round.

If the scouts are just as blind as you guys somebody is going to make a steal for the ages at the draft.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Just go death for Seth. I don't care about this season anymore. Even if we have to trade up. Right now, we have the greatest need for a #1 Dman.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Tbh i WANT them to lose many games so they get the 1st overall

Imagine what a feeling it would be on draft day, to go up there on stage first of all, all the attention, not only the 1st overall but 31st overall, and the 3rd rounder is like 60th overall... dayum i want

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
With that you'd go down as at least one of the biggest fails in draft history. Nichushkin is the new Malkin in the making.

Malkin has vision. Nichuskin on the other hand..

He also has three year contract in KHL.. Maybe he doesn't want to come over to play for 900 k or so when he can possibly get 5 mil over there. Or should I say 150 k at GR for few years.

He does have elite skillset but that toolbox has me worried.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
dano does seem like a DRW pick, and not just b/c they have picked several slovakian F's recently (tatar, jurco, tvrdon).

Kopecky?

i am not a big fan of nash and i think he does lack vision of better star F's, but nash has been a very reliable and productive player. a lot of criticism of nash comes from his draft position and problems associated with CBJ.

Nash gets treated as if he's an elite winger who scores 40-40-80 every season. In reality, he's scored 40 twice and broken 70 points once. There was a poll last week or so asking which NYR forward was the best of Nash, Gaborik, or Richards. Nash doesn't seriously belong in that conversation.

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan
Kopecky?

Nash gets treated as if he's an elite winger who scores 40-40-80 every season. In reality, he's scored 40 twice and broken 70 points once. There was a poll last week or so asking which NYR forward was the best of Nash, Gaborik, or Richards. Nash doesn't seriously belong in that conversation.

On one of the consistently worse teams in the NHL.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

Of course small sample size but so far he's been the best of them this season, imo.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Malkin has vision. Nichuskin on the other hand..

He also has three year contract in KHL.. Maybe he doesn't want to come over to play for 900 k or so when he can possibly get 5 mil over there. Or should I say 150 k at GR for few years.

He does have elite skillset but that toolbox has me worried.

Do you remember Malkin at age 17? I do.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
If we're in the top 5 we can't go wrong picking anyone imo, this draft is mega deep & everyone in the top 5 has the potential to be a game breaker. Even outside of the top 5 we players like Pulock, Nichushkin, Ristolainen, Shinkaruk & it just goes on & on.

If we're picking top 5 I hope we go the BPA, luckily though everyone in the top 5 can player center or is a defenseman both are positions of need. If we are picking 6th overall I'd like to see us go with Pulock/Shinkaruk/Nichushkin, if we're in the 11th overall area Nurse is my pick followed by Zadorov/Erne. The lowest I think we'd be picking this year is around 18th overall and there I'd like to see Domi/Morrissey/Hagg/Lazar.

Pretty much anywhere we pick in the first we should be getting either a potential top 6 forward or a top 4 dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: