Red Wings Draft Thread 2013

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Alexander Barkov is exactly what we need if we draft enough high. Big-sized playmaking center, who can carry two midget wingers on his back.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I know he's 18 but...
Height: 188 cm / 6'2"
Weight: 77 kg / 170 lbs

PWF? :laugh:

Yeah Monahan plays like Toews or an older Yzerman. Great 2 way guy that has some high end offense as well, hes the exact Red Wings centermen definition.

I dont think there are many great powerforwards in this draft. Mantha and Rychel could end up but Rychel might be more of a third liner and Mantha has his consistency questioned.

He could end up like Getzlaf though who fell for people questioning his compete level and then turned into one of the best power centers in the league

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Assuming we get a top 15 pick this is the order I'd go in

1. Mackinnon
2. Jones
3. Barkov
4. Lindholm
5. Monahan
6. Nichuskin
7. Drouin
8. Ristolainen
9. Zadorov
10. Pulock
11. Shinkaruk
12. Nurse
13. Erne
14. Domi
15. Gauthier

Based on watching CHL games, various junior tournaments, and reliable reports.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Assuming we get a top 15 pick this is the order I'd go in

1. Mackinnon
2. Jones
3. Barkov
4. Lindholm
5. Monahan
6. Nichuskin
7. Drouin
8. Ristolainen
9. Zadorov
10. Pulock
11. Shinkaruk
12. Nurse
13. Erne
14. Domi
15. Gauthier

Based on watching CHL games, various junior tournaments, and reliable reports.
Drouins going closer to 3 then he is 7. No team is taking Nichuskin higher then him and I doubt Monahan as well.

Monahan is tempting though, big 2 way center Toews style is the type of players I would build a team around

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Drouins going closer to 3 then he is 7. No team is taking Nichuskin higher then him and I doubt Monahan as well.

Monahan is tempting though, big 2 way center Toews style is the type of players I would build a team around

Where's he projecting to go as of now? How far do you guys think he could fall?

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Monahan? Mckeen's has him ranked at 6, Central Scouting at 4. I think top 5 is a safe bet.

Not sure why Lazar's stock is falling out of the top 10 but I really like him.

Probably to do with the lack of scoring, no way id take him top 10 unless he seriously picks up his scoring.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan

I've seen Drouin play several times and I don't think he'll be much more than a guy who pulls off highlight reels and 40 points.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
Probably to do with the lack of scoring, no way id take him top 10 unless he seriously picks up his scoring.

Maybe I'm an optimist but I don't think Detroit is getting a top 10 pick this season. Even if it's 15-20 I think we take a long look at Lazar. Kesler is a good comparison. He had a really slow start this season and he's still on pace to greatly eclipse his previous years numbers, I think he'll be alright. We need more legit top 6 center prospects to step in after the Eurotwins hang it up.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I may be in the minority, but I have little interest in Shinkaruk, Lazar or Domi. With a good first round pick, I want someone who is a bit bigger. I agree though that we won't be drafting in the top 10 this year.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I may be in the minority, but I have little interest in Shinkaruk, Lazar or Domi. With a good first round pick, I want someone who is a bit bigger. I agree though that we won't be drafting in the top 10 this year.

I'm usually about size but I think the wings now need to worry more about getting a guy who makes a difference. Lazar isnt small but I wouldnt want him. Domi is already 200 lbs, I would love him. Shinkaruks 5'11 so not tiny but plays with a bit of an edge and is a bit of an agitator.

First round if youre picking at 10 and you can land Shinkaruk you dont think twice

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I'm usually about size but I think the wings now need to worry more about getting a guy who makes a difference. Lazar isnt small but I wouldnt want him. Domi is already 200 lbs, I would love him. Shinkaruks 5'11 so not tiny but plays with a bit of an edge and is a bit of an agitator.

First round if youre picking at 10 and you can land Shinkaruk you dont think twice

I will let you prove me wrong with Shinkaruk. He strikes me as someone who is an excellent junior player but who may not be that good of a pro. I might feel better if he was a bit faster. Even watching the Wings last night I couldn't help but think that the NHL is a big man's game now. Anyways, I just prefer some others in the 10-20 range.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
If the Wings miss the playoffs, which is quite possible given the state of our roster vs the West this year, we will either have the top-1 pick of a high teens pick.

The high teens pick would be pretty much useless since Holland would trade it for two seconds and a glass of lemonade.

If we manage to luck into number 1 I take Seth Jones in a heartbeat. Next season our third D pairing could be

Quincey-Jones.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Here's a homer pick for the 7th round; Aleksi Mustonen from Kiekko-Vantaa in the Finnish 2nd league. Small(~5'9) 17 year old kid but a very skilled two-way center who's playing 1st line C in his rookie season and putting up rather good points as well. 50+% on faceoffs against men and he already played at the U18 WJC last year. Lately he's been still growing and I bet he'd be in the top-60 if he was a couple of inches taller. He was 40th among international skaters in Central Scouting's midterm rankings.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
If the Wings miss the playoffs, which is quite possible given the state of our roster vs the West this year, we will either have the top-1 pick of a high teens pick.

The high teens pick would be pretty much useless since Holland would trade it for two seconds and a glass of lemonade.

If we manage to luck into number 1 I take Seth Jones in a heartbeat. Next season our third D pairing could be

Quincey-Jones.

Oh jeebus. Quincey paired with another rookie...

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru

Quincey-Jones.

quincy-jones.jpg

I don't think I could ever get angry at that.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
With the return of the season, my interest in the draft has been rekindl'd(ha). So I've been watching a lot of highlights of the prospects ranked 1-10,(I'll get to the 10-20 prospects next week.), and guys I'm really digging Sean Monahan. He's a prototypical Wings center. It's a shame we'll never get him because Holland never ever trades up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad