GDT: Red Wings @ Boston Bruins - 1:00 EST - FSD

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
he plays miles better than ever. He will score a few more before the season ends. Let's enjoy his development, imagine if he would have duplicated last years campaign. I'm more frustrated with manthas inability to score at the moment. he doesnt even put pucks on the net

Doesn't help that Blash puts him net front on the PP. He's not bad at the role, but it's a waste of his talent

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
The Athletic had an article the other day breaking down the problems with Athanasiou with other teams NHL scouts. The league scouts talked about him playing 10 good seconds of hockey a game and the rest being abysmal when you focused on just him. It was kind of eye opening to be honest. He has detractors around the league in terms of acknowledgment of his incredible highlight reel ability they see a player that doesn't really warrant more ice-time. These weren't Wings guys or Blashill either mind you.

I don't think it was an accident that Eddie O a close friend of Blashill basically picked on AA on National Television the other night. Really highlighting his one great play and several of his poor plays.

Good catch, it seemed obvious that Eddie was singling AA out for comment, mostly negative. I didn't know he and Blash were close though he had mentioned they talked before the game. Is that Athletic article behind the old paywall?

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Doesn't help that Blash puts him net front on the PP. He's not bad at the role, but it's a waste of his talent

you're right, but it' a situation mantha can't control. We've seen him dominate, so we know he has ability and skill to be a game changer. It's frustrating when he looks like jimmy hayes

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
AA isn't any good, mantha is slow and lazy. The future is bright. :laugh:

You and I agree on something. Wow!!

Athanasiou can have his occasional fun shift, but it's not worth the "package" deal that comes with him. If he gets $3 million, I'll be pissed! He should cap out at around Luke Glendening money. Athanasiou should be 3rd line winger at most. Mantha is turning out to be exactly somewhere in the middle of what we thought. Which is a great 20th pick, but not a driver or a piece of the core you build around. He's a softer James Neal (who can't find any stability in the NHL).

As for Bertuzzi, he was very noticeable this game; he had some noticeable good shifts, and some noticeable horrid shifts. But he was always noticeable. I'll cut him some slack since he's a n00b.

I cringe whenever I read posts by posters who argue Athanasiou should get more ice time. I think he gets too much right now. Athanasiou has to be the most frustrating player since he acts so self-entitled, but proves to be a dumpster fire when they coddle and give in to him whenever he pouts. He's been averaging 15 minutes of ice time per game. They need to cut him back to around 11-12 minutes. He is what he is.

jz78817

Nov 25, 2017
I think AA needs an attitude adjustment more than anything. holding out like he did at the beginning of the season when he has yet to prove himself probably ticked off Blashill quite a bit (not to mention a lot of fans) and he doesn't look like he's giving his all.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
The Athletic had an article the other day breaking down the problems with Athanasiou with other teams NHL scouts. The league scouts talked about him playing 10 good seconds of hockey a game and the rest being abysmal when you focused on just him. It was kind of eye opening to be honest. He has detractors around the league in terms of acknowledgment of his incredible highlight reel ability they see a player that doesn't really warrant more ice-time. These weren't Wings guys or Blashill either mind you.

I don't think it was an accident that Eddie O a close friend of Blashill basically picked on AA on National Television the other night. Really highlighting his one great play and several of his poor plays.

How exactly is it supposed to help him then by playing him 7 minutes per game?

The team is junk anyways, so might as well play him in the top 6 and see what he can do with actual minutes. This whole thing is a 2-way street. Sure at times AA's character and desire and determination can be questioned, but how is the kid supposed to improve if the coach has zero confidence in him, and doesn't even give him a chance.

There is no denying his speed and skill. I'd rather lose with AA playing in the top 6 than lose with AA getting benched. The team sucks, what's the worst thing that happens if we play AA 17 mins/game? We don't win? Well we don't win either with him getting benched. Bottom line is that Blashill clearly is not a fan. I'm not ready to give up on AA just yet. Our organization is doing a pretty bad job making young skilled players with potential turn on them. Mraek looked like the goalie of the future, and now we can't even trade him for a 3rd rounder.

Last edited:
Reactions: StargateSG1

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Gee what happened to all the Bert haters?? He went out and played his game not the **** show Trash wanted him too and looked good!!! This ****ing coach is the worst in the league!!!

He nearly cost the wings goals twice. He was okay, but he's still just another borderline NHL player.

Reactions: avssuc

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

The team is junk anyways, so might as well play him in the top 6 and see what he can do with actual minutes. This whole thing is a 2-way street. Sure at times AA's character and desire and determination can be questioned, but how is the kid supposed to improve if the coach has zero confidence in him, and doesn't even give him a chance.

There is no denying his speed and skill. I'd rather lose with AA playing in the top 6 than lose with AA getting benched. The team sucks, what's the worst thing that happens if we play AA 15 mins/game? We don't win? Well we don't win either with him getting benched. Bottom line is that Blashill clearly is not a fan. I'm not ready to give up on AA just yet. Our organization is doing a pretty bad job making young skilled players with potential turn on them. Mraek looked like the goalie of the future, and now we can't even trade him for a 3rd rounder.

Because rewarding someone that scouts around the league say is abysmal with more time for that abysmal play isn't going to get him to engage more.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Are saying Athanasiou is playing less then 7 minutes per game? Lol???

Really? He's averaging over twice that. And that's still too many minutes for him!

Right, so playing him 7 minutes should do the trick!

If you are talking about Athanasiou, then you need to learn some serious facts. You're spewing misinformation and/or lies.

Reactions: TheMule93

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
More than half this team is not very good. It's not like he's 2008 Jiri Hudler who we could afford to keep sheltered. Like him or not, but AA is one of our top 6 most dangerous forwards. I know none of this matters since we're tanking anyways, but from an entertainment aspect, it's annoying, and having a lame duck coach continually alienate one of our few younger players who actually will have a lengthy NHL career is ridiculous.

I think it it does matter, even if we're tanking.
One of the few benefits of tanking is that you should be be able to ride the kids and let them play through mistakes.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I think it it does matter, even if we're tanking.
One of the few benefits of tanking is that you should be be able to ride the kids and let them play through mistakes.

My hope is that they will give a bigger role to the kids once it becomes official that we're not playoff-bound and we start trading away assets for draft picks. I'll be very disappointed if Mrazek/AA and some of our kids in GR don't get a serious look for the remainder of the season.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
AA's physical gifts will never be enough to overcome his [lack of] hockey smarts. In my eyes he's a lot like Brendan Smith, guy you know has all the tools and want him to make the next step, but can't because of his decision making.

From a fans viewpoint playing AA 20+ minutes a game could be entertaining and make the game more exciting to watch but from Blashill's viewpoint he still has to try and win games whether we like it or not. Personally, if I wanted to tank I would play AA a ton because he's a liability more often than not.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I think AA needs an attitude adjustment more than anything. holding out like he did at the beginning of the season when he has yet to prove himself probably ticked off Blashill quite a bit (not to mention a lot of fans) and he doesn't look like he's giving his all.

Who in the f*** cares if AA pissed off some third-rate coach who belongs in the NCAA

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
AA's physical gifts will never be enough to overcome his [lack of] hockey smarts. In my eyes he's a lot like Brendan Smith

I agree though Smith has a better attitude for the game and is a universally better player. I think AA is a one trick pony, and he can't even be that despite the amount undeserved ice time handed down to him for being nothing more than a entitled little school girl. I have a very low opinion of him for what he pulled. And his hockey isn't worth his character issues. If he could walk the talk, then I'd say good on him for holding out and forcing the GMs hand. But he's proving to be nothing more than a self entitled pouting nancy and proving the GM and Coach right each and every passing day.

jz78817

Nov 25, 2017
Who in the **** cares if AA pissed off some third-rate coach who belongs in the NCAA

because like it or not the coach determines who gets minutes. even if you hate the coach, giving the guy minutes and letting the veterans do some "coaching" on the ice can get him those "hockey smarts" he lacks. I mean, you and I are pretty much on the same page. especially when you say this:

I think it it does matter, even if we're tanking. One of the few benefits of tanking is that you should be be able to ride the kids and let them play through mistakes.

I agree 100%. This season is pretty much another write-off; management needs to come to their senses and admit they can't do an in-place rebuild. They're not going to get anywhere riding the old guys while letting kids with potential sit and wither. The band aid needs to be ripped off.

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Red Wings dump and chase stats this year vs last year. (See attached file) ** couldn’t upload link as it was from The Athletic app and they don’t have URL photo capability.

The Wings have ONE maybe TWO guys that can actually be aggressive and hit on dumpins to gain possession. Guys like Nyquist / Tats/ Neilson/ Mantha / AA/ Z/ Larkin do not hit the body, so ask yourself this, why is Blashill so adamant on the north south game, if he doesn’t have the players to actually play that game?

Attachments

• FA7B69D3-639B-4166-AA23-C68648DA8F03.png
    FA7B69D3-639B-4166-AA23-C68648DA8F03.png
    579.8 KB · Views: 6

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad