GDT: Red Wings @ Boston Bruins - 1:00 EST - FSD

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
On the question of Blashill-Holland, I agree with the general sentiment. I think that it's time to basically enter phase 2 of the rebuild. I think the team could benefit from some fresh minds. But I don't think they will be quite ready for a Stanley Cup caliber coach. I think they just need guys who are really good at getting and developing young players to come on board for 2-3 seasons. After that, they can go into phase 3 and bring in a yet another head coach for the purpose of winning another cup.

I do worry about the NHL's new lottery system, though. It could prolong the process.

Really, with the new lottery system, whether the NHL knows it or not, the NHL is kinda sending the message that they don't want teams to make deadline trades any more at all. That's all tanking really ever was and the new system kinda suggests that it may not be worth it any more. Of course, where they are stupid and will fail is that while, due to the odds, you may no longer end up with the draft spot appropriate to your place in the standings, it is still very worthwhile to dump players for draft picks in order to try to free up money that you can spend on free agents in the future, and of course, get more picks - and that combined with the fact that you still have a better chance of getting better picks the lower you finish, is why, while the new lottery system may mean cities with bad teams suffer longer, it has had no effect whatsoever on tanking and never will.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Read the recent story on Cholo.
Total suck job.
It's a PR piece.
A waste of time.
First few stories Craig did, I was pleased. Showed some balls. Showed some big-picture thinking.

But he's regressed.

The other thing, for me as a one-sport reader, is that there are times when we might get 2-3 stories in a week.

Redder Winger, all the articles you say you like are just ultra critical pieces.
You dont like this article on Cholo because they interpret that they like him...

I mean i havent read the articlees, so cant give my take on them.

But your opinion on the articles seems to be you like to read articles that are more angry about the red wings, because you are angry about the red wings.

Its hard for me not to think your goal is to find articles you agree with.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Really, with the new lottery system, whether the NHL knows it or not, the NHL is kinda sending the message that they don't want teams to make deadline trades any more at all. That's all tanking really ever was and the new system kinda suggests that it may not be worth it any more. Of course, where they are stupid and will fail is that while, due to the odds, you may no longer end up with the draft spot appropriate to your place in the standings, it is still very worthwhile to dump players for draft picks in order to try to free up money that you can spend on free agents in the future, and of course, get more picks - and that combined with the fact that you still have a better chance of getting better picks the lower you finish, is why, while the new lottery system may mean cities with bad teams suffer longer, it has had no effect whatsoever on tanking and never will.

Sorry, dont take this the wrong way... but this last paragraph is only 2 sentences? with so many comma's and change of thoughts... I dont even know what you are trying to say.

especially this part: "it has had no effect whatsoever on tanking and never will."

What has had no effect? Please clean up if you can...

Reactions: DetroitRed

chris05

May 23, 2013
Wings management are getting another good look on what it means to carry NCAA players that can compete but lack the talent to compete at a high level. Team generated goals are not a strong point on this roster and waiting for a player to take over a game with talent is non existent for the 16-20 minute a night players. Lets all get excited when the probability kicks in due to increased opportunity statistically and the puck goes in for that player..... due tell us how good and talented that player is....... time to bring in some players and start spending money on players that can actually give something back to the game.

jz78817

Nov 25, 2017
Wings management are getting another good look on what it means to carry NCAA players that can compete but lack the talent to compete at a high level. Team generated goals are not a strong point on this roster and waiting for a player to take over a game with talent is non existent for the 16-20 minute a night players. Lets all get excited when the probability kicks in due to increased opportunity statistically and the puck goes in for that player..... due tell us how good and talented that player is....... time to bring in some players and start spending money on players that can actually give something back to the game.

they can't do that while saddled with big contracts for underperformers.

Holland doesn't seem like he can work under a salary cap. Larkin and Mantha are pulling 6 figures while DeKeyser ($5.5 million) has two points despite almost 20 minutes average time on ice.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
they can't do that while saddled with big contracts for underperformers.

Holland doesn't seem like he can work under a salary cap. Larkin and Mantha are pulling 6 figures while DeKeyser ($5.5 million) has two points despite almost 20 minutes average time on ice.
I think Holland grasps contracts a little better than you. Never compare an ELC to a UFA or you're gonna have a bad time.

Connor McDavid is pulling down 6 figures this season.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Redder Winger, all the articles you say you like are just ultra critical pieces.
You dont like this article on Cholo because they interpret that they like him...

I mean i havent read the articlees, so cant give my take on them.

But your opinion on the articles seems to be you like to read articles that are more angry about the red wings, because you are angry about the red wings.

Its hard for me not to think your goal is to find articles you agree with.

Read the article. It's a fanboy piece.
There's not a hint of criticism.
Might as well have been written by a HF fanboy.

Maybe Cholo just wasn't good enough.

That stuff about Danny Cleary...maybe we should hope for a bit more out of Cholo than Edmonton got out of Cleary.

Anyway, it was fluff.

Some people expect fluff. Fluff has its place. But I won't pay for it

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
I think Holland grasps contracts a little better than you. Never compare an ELC to a UFA or you're gonna have a bad time.

Connor McDavid is pulling down 6 figures this season.

Right! That's why Chris Ilitch is spending 80 million 2 years running on the bottom dweller! Because Kenny "Tic Tock" Holland understands contracts.
You have got to be one of the most ignorant posters here.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
He's had 3 teams the only team that had a loosing record was the bad CBJ. Blash is not on the same level as a NHL coach.
Right.
He has an expansion team(!) first in the Pacific.
Panthers won Atlantic with him at the helm.
Some people here are Unreal!

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Right! That's why Chris Ilitch is spending 80 million 2 years running on the bottom dweller! Because Kenny "Tic Tock" Holland understands contracts.
You have got to be one of the most ignorant posters here.
Right! Comparing a player who's never negotiated a contract based on merit at the NHL level to a UFA contact is totally understandable.

Right!

Right.
Right.

It's a stupid thing to do, DDK has an awful contract and so do a lot for our players... But saying Larkin and Mantha only make scraps comparatively is a very dumb point. They've never even signed an RFA contract.

But don't let reality muddy up your view point. Back to the list you go.

jz78817

Nov 25, 2017
While I'm nothing more than an armchair GM, I was mostly trying to illustrate how not only are the Wings hurting for cap space, they're spending a lot of money on non-producers. some of whom they're simply stuck with. who'd be interested in trading for a guy who makes $5m but has one goal and one assist? Green on the other hand, he's not a goal scorer but he has (relatively) a lot of assists.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
You'd be hard pressed to find someone who approves of Danny Dekeyser's contract.

Ken Holland didn't pay him to be a 10 point player, people tend to forget that Danny Dekeyser didn't seem like he was terrible a couple years ago. That's not to say his contract is justified, because the term and aav were not appreciated at the time either.

Last edited:

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
I never see the coaching staff in a game turn the kids around on the bench and explain to them where they needed to be on a miscue. It always leads me to believe the coaches aren't sure themselves. After a bad shift the kids come to the bench and stare at the ice. the coaches look at the backs of their helmets. They've toned the coaches out or they just don't get it

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
people tend to forget that Danny Dekeyser didn't seem like he was terrible a couple years ago.

this is why i dont like the idea of a signing peoplee to 6-8 year deals on "promise". It often does not work out the way you want... and relatively soon.

Everyone imagines they are getting Josi type deals... and i dont think that is very common.

Reactions: jkutswings

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Birmingham
You be hard pressed to find someone who approves of Danny Dekeyser's contract.

Ken Holland didn't pay him to be a 10 point player, people tend to forget that Danny Dekeyser didn't seem like he was terrible a couple years ago. That's not to say his contract is justified, because the term and aav were not appreciated at the time either.

Can’t also forget that DD was on USA radar for Sochi. My my my how things have changed quickly for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->