GDT: Red Wings @ Boston Bruins - 1:00 EST - FSD

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
It is indeed. Really advise becoming a member to Wings fans.

I don't.
Unless they improve, I won't be re-subbing.

The analytics articles are a mess.
And Craig's analysis sugarcoats things.
I can get that analysis for free from St. James of the world.

Of all people, Krupa had the best article recently.
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...d-think-ahead-process-isnt-working/108700394/
Make or break time began the second week of November. The stretch ended Friday with the Red Wings lying four points behind the Bruins for the playoffs, while Boston had three games in hand. Their goal differential is minus-17. The Wings went 4-5-6 in the 15-game stretch, ending with their second win in regulation in four weeks, 3-1, over the Maple Leafs.
Instead of improving playoff prospects, the 15 games proved a profound puzzlement. It also provides a signpost.

---

Having chosen to compete for the playoffs while fashioning scant revitalization of the lineup, the Wings long ago lent considerable credibility to the argument they have frittered time.
The continue to do so.
By not leaving the playoffs to clubs better able to support the effort, they are not playing young players as much as they should.
They have not advantageously moved one of their goalies.
They have not stripped the roster of a bit of its congealed salary fat.

Someone in the Detroit media has balls.
And it's not Craig "I'm trying to sell my book" Custance.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't.

Krupa: Red Wings need to think ahead; ‘the process’ isn’t working

Custance is nothing like St. James, and I don’t think he sugarcoats things at all. They also have Pronman who is fairly outspoken in how he is not a fan of Detroit’s recent first round picks.

They write very well written articles. Even had a former GM comment on Detroit and gave insight into the dangers of being too complacent at the start of the season.

They’ve had more quality articles in the last 6 months than I’ve seen in a long time. Probably the best resource we have as Wings fans since the passing of Matt Wuest.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
How much ya wanna bet these two things happen next year.

1. Holland / Blashill retained

2. Caldwell is the Lions coach.

Good times here in the D!

If Blash is coaching next year I will stop watching the Wings, and won't watch until he's gone. The man is in over his head, he's clueless. I don't watch his post-game conferences anymore, I don't respect him as a hockey coach.

Reactions: aar000n

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Well it's been a mismash of roles for weeks now. I'm not even sure what they are trying to turn the kid into... I don't even think they do.
He's getting experience playing center, that's why he's on the 4th line in addition to seeing PK and PP time.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
How much ya wanna bet these two things happen next year.

1. Holland / Blashill retained

2. Caldwell is the Lions coach.

Good times here in the D!

Wouldn't be surprised by Holland being back just because he's been there so long.

Blashill is definitely gone next year. Like TheWingedWheel1987 pointed out, the team is 10 points out of third in the Atlantic after this loss. Really difficult to see a them making the playoffs at this point given that they haven't been able to string together more than a couple wins every now and then. If the Wings miss the playoffs (and they will), someone's gonna be fired, and that person is Blashill.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
He's getting significantly more minutes this year than last.

Good Lord.

11 games into the season Athanasiou had 5 goals, 3 assists and 8 points in 15:55 a night.
And that was after a slow start. Through seven games he was 1-1-2 -2.

And then Nov. 11 through Nov. 19, during a period I suspect the Red Wings were trying to shop Athanasiou (maybe for Vatanen), Blashill suddenly increased his icetime for 3 games.

Over the next four games he went 4-2-6 +3, averaging 18:28 a game. The Red Wings went 2-0-2.
Over the first 3 he went 3-2-5 +2 in 20:01 per game. The Wings were 2-0-1.

Then the Wings got smoked by Edmonton and Athanasiou took a -4.

And that was it.
Since that game his icetime was cut to 14:03 (even less, because tonight isn't figured.
He's only got 4 assists in 12 games and worse, he's -7 and has just 20 shots.

But here's the thing.
Let's see who his linemates were Nov. 11-15-17. Because on Nov. 9, he played with Frk and Wilson.

Vs Columbus - He played with Larkin and Tatar for 12+ minutes. Scores a goal.
Vs Calgary - he played with Tatar and Larkin for 10:31. He scored 2-1-3.

Things start to change against Buffalo.
Vs Buffalo.
This is where Blashill starts going 11 forwards/7d
Vs Buffalo = 6 minutes with Tatar and Larkin, 3 minutes with Scott Wilson, etc.
Recorded an assist.

Since then it's been a steady diet of Scott Wilson, David Booth, Martin Frk and whoever the f*** else happens to get stuck there.

Pin Athanasiou's struggles exactly where they belong. And ugly bald head of their idiotic coach.

While Athanasiou was heating up and looking great, he busted him down to the fourth line. And it wasn't even a full fourth line.

It was Wilson-Athanasiou-and whoever happened to rotate in. Or Athanasiou rotating in up the lineup.

Not exactly the greatest way in the world to develop a youngster.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Ok, you're getting way to excited about a depth player. The reason why AA is struggling is because he's not that good.
But if part of the reason so many people want Blashill gone is that he is doing a horrendous job developing the younger players, how can you be sure that AA isn't any good, as opposed to just being a terrible fit for this coach?

The kid has a whole lot to learn, but that doesn't mean that a good coach couldn't help him become a much better player.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I don't know why you're all worried about AA who is a one trick pony. I don't see him being part of the core of any team.

Mantha is the one I'm concerned about. It doesn't look like he gives a shit. That's worrisome.

chris05

May 23, 2013
A bottom place team with an extremely expensive payroll and the kicker is there are a whole lot of empty seats in a brand new arena. A manager who can't manage and a coach who is a perfectionist on how to lose hockey games with regularity. You don't need a hockey expert to tell you that a poorly managed and coached team is a recipe for disaster on ice.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
But if part of the reason so many people want Blashill gone is that he is doing a horrendous job developing the younger players, how can you be sure that AA isn't any good, as opposed to just being a terrible fit for this coach?
All the young players anyone cares about on this forum is getting significantly more playing time and opportunities this year compared to last. AA continues to try and beat four defenders and turns the puck over, doesn't take a hit to make a play and his lazy defensively. If he's not getting the message on the 4th line and still performs poorly against weaker opposition, he needs to be benched. It's pretty simple.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
All the young players anyone cares about on this forum is getting significantly more playing time and opportunities this year compared to last. AA continues to try and beat four defenders and turns the puck over, doesn't take a hit to make a play and his lazy defensively. If he's not getting the message on the 4th line and still performs poorly against weaker opposition, he needs to be benched. It's pretty simple.

But but but he had that one good game when he played with Larkin and Tatar! Its not like he's played with Larkin, Mantha, Zetterberg, Nielsen, et al since then! Its because he only gets 43 seconds a night playing on a line made up of a line that consists of volunteers from the stands.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Which coach would you replace Blashill with, if the only thing you cared about was young player development? Ignore the assumption that Blashill was supposed to be that guy.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Which coach would you replace Blashill with, if the only thing you cared about was young player development? Ignore the assumption that Blashill was supposed to be that guy.

Right now its about assigning blame, not looking at things objectively. Objectively just about every player is becoming what they were predicted to be. Mantha is a talented winger with compete issues. Larkin is a good 2nd line center. AA is a serviceable middle 6 winger with attitude and compete issues, etc etc. People here got themselves into the idea through echochambering that all these players were future stars, and now that its becoming obvious that most, if not all of them (Larkin the only likely exception) aren't core players, well they need to blame someone. And so far too much if its going to a guy put into the bad situation of coaching a team built to win yesterday, with no thought of the future.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

This is what I want to know. They'll probably say Todd Nelson just like we did about Blashill when Babcock was coach. Grass is greener syndrome. I'm not falling for that shit again.

If they can find a realgud proven NHL coach, then I am all ears. But no more AHL experiments!

jz78817

Nov 25, 2017
And then Nov. 11 through Nov. 19, during a period I suspect the Red Wings were trying to shop Athanasiou (maybe for Vatanen), Blashill suddenly increased his icetime for 3 games.

this is the dumbest part. I realize they're stuck with Holland's bad contracts, but continuing to act like they're just "one missing piece" from success is throwing good money after bad.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
This is what I want to know. They'll probably say Todd Nelson just like we did about Blashill when Babcock was coach. Grass is greener syndrome. I'm not falling for that **** again.

If they can find a realgud proven NHL coach, then I am all ears. But no more AHL experiments!

He/she (just cause I'm feeling PC) can't be too realgud, because we want to lose as much as possible. They have to care about the youth, but not about winning hockey games. Any candidates spring to mind? This is a serious question, btw. I'm not trolling and I'm not a fan of Blashill's. He is using Babcock's system that tried to bleed stone on a drier stone.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
It should have been Gallant all along. At this point anyone one would be a better option. It's not good for the team, it's not good for him either. All the players look and sound defeated in after game inter views it's getting sad really.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
It should have been Gallant all along. At this point anyone one would be a better option. It's not good for the team, it's not good for him either. All the players look and sound defeated in after game inter views it's getting sad really.

Gallant is overrated

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Right now its about assigning blame, not looking at things objectively. Objectively just about every player is becoming what they were predicted to be. Mantha is a talented winger with compete issues. Larkin is a good 2nd line center. AA is a serviceable middle 6 winger with attitude and compete issues, etc etc. People here got themselves into the idea through echochambering that all these players were future stars, and now that its becoming obvious that most, if not all of them (Larkin the only likely exception) aren't core players, well they need to blame someone. And so far too much if its going to a guy put into the bad situation of coaching a team built to win yesterday, with no thought of the future.
I agree with much of what you said, with one major exception:

It doesn't have to be either/or.

All said players can be playing to the level of reasonable expectation for their draft position or scouting report, AND the organization can be doing less than they should in terms of helping them develop. For example, maybe if the coaching staff was exceptional instead of constantly juggling some lines while stapling players to others, we'd see more of those players with warts on their pre-NHL resumes actually exceeding those reasonable expectations.

I'm not saying it's a given. Just that both management and coaching are less than stellar.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't.

Krupa: Red Wings need to think ahead; ‘the process’ isn’t working

I could not disagree more with this assessment, especially in terms of the St. James crack.

The Super Friends in my opinion have asked a few more tough questions, but I attribute that to Custance who has been asking them since the pre-season. Custance's coverage has been great in my opinion. Prashanth Iyer writes an article for them every week that should please the analytic crowd in a huge way. Hey to each their own, we don't all agree in life that is for sure. As Frk It mentioned you have Pronman in the fold who is one of the better prospect people. Custance and Pronman have been pointing out the alarming trends of some of our drafting and player development for those reading.

I haven't ever been this happy with hockey coverage on a local and national level. It makes the current situation we are in clear. Glad Krupa and the gang are showing up, they have had years to do it, you don't think The Athletic showing up and actually doing it first is impacting that fine, I respectfully disagree. They picked apart some of the ESPN purge and went and rounded out their team with other people. Again could not endorse it high enough though I understand everything isn't for everybody. The Athletic has certainly made a tough season a little easier to understand.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I could not disagree more with this assessment, especially in terms of the St. James crack.

The Super Friends in my opinion have asked a few more tough questions, but I attribute that to Custance who has been asking them since the pre-season. Custance's coverage has been great in my opinion. Prashanth Iyer writes an article for them every week that should please the analytic crowd in a huge way. Hey to each their own, we don't all agree in life that is for sure. As Frk It mentioned you have Pronman in the fold who is one of the better prospect people. Custance and Pronman have been pointing out the alarming trends of some of our drafting and player development for those reading.

I haven't ever been this happy with hockey coverage on a local and national level. It makes the current situation we are in clear. Glad Krupa and the gang are showing up, they have had years to do it, you don't think The Athletic showing up and actually doing it first is impacting that fine, I respectfully disagree. They picked apart some of the ESPN purge and went and rounded out their team with other people. Again could not endorse it high enough though I understand everything isn't for everybody. The Athletic has certainly made a tough season a little easier to understand.

Read the recent story on Cholo.
Total suck job.
It's a PR piece.
A waste of time.
First few stories Craig did, I was pleased. Showed some balls. Showed some big-picture thinking.

But he's regressed.

The other thing, for me as a one-sport reader, is that there are times when we might get 2-3 stories in a week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad