Rebuilding the Team

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
3. Inject some speed and skill into the lineup
I don't think this is wise. Just slotting a quick player into the lineup isn't going to give you a faster team. This is the same thinking that got us players like Hagelin. We're not looking to improve the average individual speed, but the speed of all the lines. We have to rethink the lines entirely, starting with Kesler's line, before we start adding. I think subtraction does more there than addition.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
The last portion of the season they had to come back alot, it was as if they were trying to catch up to the speed of the other team. Getz IMO is part of the problem, he is really slow and defensively not particularly useful, and like Tavares gets put out on penalty kills which is absolutely absurd. Getz also makes lots of dumb passes which lead to turnovers and scores. In an ideal situation, the Ducks get a new #1C and he moves down a line, and kesler to 3C.
Literally none of this is accurate.

Last edited:

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
The last portion of the season they had to come back alot, it was as if they were trying to catch up to the speed of the other team. Getz IMO is part of the problem, he is really slow and defensively not particularly useful, and like Tavares gets put out on penalty kills which is absolutely absurd. Getz also makes lots of dumb passes which lead to turnovers and scores. In an ideal situation, the Ducks get a new #1C and he moves down a line, and kesler to 3C.

This is s horrible take and you should feel bad.

Getz had a bad series but he was phenomenal all season. Still one of the best 1Cs in the game.

Bobby Smash

Feb 13, 2008
MX
I think Silfverberg doesn't stay beyond 18-19. Whether his value is higher now or at the TDL (assuming Anaheim is out of contention), I think he's peaked.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
The team is plenty fast, especially on D. They need to buy into a system that leverages the team's strengths instead of spending 80% of every game dumping, losing a foot race to a loose puck, and making a line change. This roster is among the most talented in the league, it is an absolute embarrassment that they play so poorly so often.
Improving the passing would go a long way to upping their speed, as well. As you said, most of the tools are there.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Improving the passing would go a long way to upping their speed, as well. As you said, most of the tools are there.
Yeah. I think part of the reason the passing is so poor is because they're often playing some sort of BIOS system rather than what the coach has imposed as his plan. That means no one knows other than in a general way where they're supposed to be and where their teammates will be. No one gets open, ever, and no one is moving away from the puck. These are basic, fixable things that the coaches could never fix.

Reactions: Exit Dose

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
Th speed complaint is mainly up front. With bieksa and beauch moving on they will insert Larson, Pettersson, welinski, and or one vet guy.

It’s trying to add speed to play with Getz that is challenging. Kesler, let’s see how he recovers in the off season. Guy didn’t even practice just played the games. He was a fast skater, so if he loses a bit he’s down to average. Perry has always been below average in skating. He’s the key it to move.

If he waives a trade can be worked out. But, up to him if he wants to move.

I don't think this is wise. Just slotting a quick player into the lineup isn't going to give you a faster team. This is the same thinking that got us players like Hagelin. We're not looking to improve the average individual speed, but the speed of all the lines. We have to rethink the lines entirely, starting with Kesler's line, before we start adding. I think subtraction does more there than addition.

Response to both: I may have been a little confusing but I mostly meant the system. We already have the right defenders in place for a fast paced game RC was just holding them back.

Exit Does: You are right about inserting fast players. I take that back however, I do think we could use 1 or 2 additions this year but this team will mostly benefit by a coach that plays an up-tempo game and let our defenders play to their strengths.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

ktulu98

Nov 24, 2005
slovakia
On other hand, Perry had 50p season with so many injuries in team... yes he is not 1st line winger, he will not score 50g again but can be a good 3rd liner if we will manage him in correct way.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Unless we found a way to move Perry (who also has a NMC) without taking salary back, I can't see any way we get a #1 C. We have to develop one, and our best chance is Steel.

I think we need to move Perry if only to give his playing time to someone who will we can develop into a future first line Player. Like Kase, Steel, Terry, Roy, Jones, etc. They will struggle, but that is ok. Stick with them, let them develop and do something in March if it ain't happening.

I give Kesler another year to recover, but expecting him to be anything more than a 3rd line defensive center is asking for trouble. We need a coach that will play him 4th line minutes if he doesn't get it done and healthy scratch him when needed. I can't suffer another year of Kesler/Cogs/Silf doing nothing offensively either.

I still like Getzlaf a lot but think we need to roll 4 lines and not put him on the PK ever again. Half the of the goals that were scored on his was due to his lazy backcheck, I think the dude as exchausted and totally over used. He has become comfortable dogging it on the backhcheck and that needs to end.

Our defense is fine, and I hope we don't add a vet, just play Petterson, Welinksi, Larsson, Mahura. They will struggle, but that's ok. Getting these young guys experience for next year's playoffs is essential.

Making the playoffs is the goal, we burnt so much energy catching San Jose. The back to back to end the season was so dumb. Was it worth? When will we learn?

Reactions: nystromshairstylist

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
Unless we found a way to move Perry (who also has a NMC) without taking salary back, I can't see any way we get a #1 C. We have to develop one, and our best chance is Steel.

I think we need to move Perry if only to give his playing time to someone who will we can develop into a future first line Player. Like Kase, Steel, Terry, Roy, Jones, etc. They will struggle, but that is ok. Stick with them, let them develop and do something in March if it ain't happening.

I give Kesler another year to recover, but expecting him to be anything more than a 3rd line defensive center is asking for trouble. We need a coach that will play him 4th line minutes if he doesn't get it done and healthy scratch him when needed. I can't suffer another year of Kesler/Cogs/Silf doing nothing offensively either.

I still like Getzlaf a lot but think we need to roll 4 lines and not put him on the PK ever again. Half the of the goals that were scored on his was due to his lazy backcheck, I think the dude as exchausted and totally over used. He has become comfortable dogging it on the backhcheck and that needs to end.

Our defense is fine, and I hope we don't add a vet, just play Petterson, Welinksi, Larsson, Mahura. They will struggle, but that's ok. Getting these young guys experience for next year's playoffs is essential.

Making the playoffs is the goal, we burnt so much energy catching San Jose. The back to back to end the season was so dumb. Was it worth? When will we learn?
I agree. Getz is too slow to PK. We need someone fast to chase the puck. Getz at this point is only good at holding the puck and passing.

Reactions: nystromshairstylist

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Probably restate what others have said here and there.

To me, balancing all lines with speed/skill/size is good. A "rebuild" is completely unnecessary.

Forwards:

Getz is still absolutely a 1C. Hope Eaves comes back well next season, and keep Rakell on his other wing, and there's your balanced 1st line. If Eaves doesn't, not like we can move him unfortunately, so he's an option for 2nd line, and we put someone faster/skilled like Kase or an off-season signing (good luck finding that). Perry shouldn't stay on this line because 2 slow players + 1 moderate speed (Raks) isn't great.

Consider keeping Kesler's line together as more of a traditional 3rd line, with shutdown and PK focus. Hope Kesler comes back stronger and heals up well cuz we're not moving him and we need to utilize him. Silf as possible trade bait, or just keep him because he's still on a reasonable contract. Cogs absolutely stays.

Back to 2nd line...centered around Henrique possibly, or get a 2c (possible signing, or hope someone like Steel might do okay, but that's a lot of pressure and unlikely). Perry showed chemistry with Henrique, so place him here as well. If no Steel, possible option for another skilled AHL to get a shot.

4th line needs to be a line we utilize in a more balanced manner. Needs some skill so we can roll 4 lines, take some wear off of the other 3 lines, and inject some speed/skill. Fine, keep Ritchie here if you want, but if we trade him, hope we get something reasonable in return. With more time for the 4th, Terry and others could slot in reasonably and not waste away. Giving 4th line w/ some less experienced players means final Forwards adjustment means Carlyle goes XD

Defense:
As stated by others, core of Lindholm, Manson, Fowler, Montour is fine. Personally still feel you balance those lines better...Offense + Defense, put Montour w/ Lindholm, and Fowler w/ Manson.

Pettersson showed he can hang. Find a reasonable 3rd line D as a signing or just promote from within via Larsson or whoever. We definitely have a lot of prospects we can trade if necessary. Need to keep 2 top D prospects for injury relief.

As for all prospects, let the rest continue developing...Depending on if Steel can hang or not, Steel, Jones, and others all have plenty of time where we can continue developing.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

This is a key point. I think it's past time we break up the "shutdown line" and go to a more balanced approach with at least 3 lines that can play against top competition. Putting Kesler out there against the other teams best players at 34 years old just won't work. He was terrible this year but he's also put in no position to succeed doing that

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
This is a key point. I think it's past time we break up the "shutdown line" and go to a more balanced approach with at least 3 lines that can play against top competition. Putting Kesler out there against the other teams best players at 34 years old just won't work. He was terrible this year but he's also put in no position to succeed doing that
Maybe I need to get past that shutdown line concept too.

But how do we do that? I'm sure it depends partially on how well Kes heals over the summer and what it allows him to do. We know his strength historically has been his defensive capabilities. Cogs is also meant more for shutdown, and putting him on a more skilled/balanced line...I dunno, maybe it works and gives others more space. Would you keep THOSE 2 together, and move/trade Silf? Or would you separate them, and who would then fit well with Kesler?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Maybe I need to get past that shutdown line concept too.

But how do we do that? I'm sure it depends partially on how well Kes heals over the summer and what it allows him to do. We know his strength historically has been his defensive capabilities. Cogs is also meant more for shutdown, and putting him on a more skilled/balanced line...I dunno, maybe it works and gives others more space. Would you keep THOSE 2 together, and move/trade Silf? Or would you separate them, and who would then fit well with Kesler?
I don't have the answer to any of that right now, but I look at teams like Winnipeg/Nashville/Vegas/SJ and those teams have 3 or 4 balanced lines that are capable of skating/creating offense against other teams good players. I just don't think we need Kesler's line to be only a defensive line. Putting him out against the best players on the other team gives him limited chance to be effective offensively. I'm not even sure that line needs to be broken up, we just need a coach who gives them easier minutes and gives other lines more responsibility IMO

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
We would need to trade Getzalf and I don't like the idea of trading the best center we ever had who helped us win a cup especially when he is still productive.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I believe the Ducks could force Perry to waive his NMC. I just don't think Bob or Samueli have the balls.
How can they? Nmc so no waivers.

Just going to scratch him?

I personally think a new start would be good for him. Just depends if he accepts it.

As for kesler, I agree to see how he recovers. But I don’t see him hitting 50 points anymore. If he still is excellent defensively and can give you around mid 40’s in points you take it for the next couple of years. Hoping that steel can handle 2nd line C duties.

But moving Perry with retention is the best move for the team. Change the look of the forwards and the leadership core.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

this is a really good point, and it's actually what I'm worried that Murray will do. IMO, the team clearly needs more speed. SJ's speed killed us. However, what hopefully Murray realizes is that isn't all on personnel. Personally I do think we could use more speed in the forward lines, however, he shouldn't add someone for that sole reason. I could see him overpaying Grabner because Murray can get really literal sometimes. The right system will help more than any player can. We have arguably the fastest defense in the league. Let's f***ing use it.

Reactions: Bee

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
This is s horrible take and you should feel bad.

Don't in the least.

Getz had a bad series but he was phenomenal all season. Still one of the best 1Cs in the game.

So when other teams aren't trying as hard during the regular season he's "effective" on D, but when teams play hard in the PO you're alright with him getting exposed? Maybe you should become a caps fan, they regularly win the president's cup for their regular season play, but go nowhere in the playoffs. Perhaps that's your objective.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Don't in the least.

So when other teams aren't trying as hard during the regular season he's "effective" on D, but when teams play hard in the PO you're alright with him getting exposed? Maybe you should become a caps fan, they regularly win the president's cup for their regular season play, but go nowhere in the playoffs. Perhaps that's your objective.
I guess you didn't watch him last year

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Don't in the least.

Wait, is an Islanders fan telling Ducks fans (on their own board) to become Caps fans if they don't agree with his take? What sort of weird timeline did I just enter into?

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
How can they? Nmc so no waivers.

Just going to scratch him?

I personally think a new start would be good for him. Just depends if he accepts it.

Basically yes, tell him the team needs to go in a new direction and get some young forwards into the lineup. Tell him it's the best thing for the team and the best thing for his career to have a change of scenery. If he says no thanks, then tell him he is looking at a 4th line role and some healthy scratches next year. He can be stubborn and collect the paycheck and hang out, but it won't be good for his career or legacy if he cares about such things. Best thing would be for him to go to a contender and be a complimentary player in their top 9 with a lower cap hit (Ducks need to eat probably 3 million or so per year).

Reactions: The Duck Knight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad