pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Is someone actually comparing Boll and Bieksucks with how
Engelland and Reaves are playing:help:

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Sure it isn't easy, but getting more speed should be main priority. Carlyle is dinosaur. He should not be anywhere coaching.

With the contracts we have, "getting more speed" isn't going to be easy at all. 100% agree on Carlyle though.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Vegas has a top 3 coach in the league and has the best goaltending performance the playoffs has seen since possibly Giguere in 2003. Ryan Reeves has very little to do with their position.

What do you think of Tampa being where they are with virtually no toughness in their lineup?
Tampa is equal to this current Ducks team in toughness. What it does show is you can get to the Stanley cup dressing an enforcer. Also Wilson is a borderline enforcer as well

Reactions: AngelDuck

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
What do you think of Deryk Engelland having the fewest penalty minutes (12 minors- 24 minutes) of his career, and no fighting majors, and the most points (23) in 2017/2018?

John
I think he's fought the who's who of NHL heavyweights and if needed would drop the gloves again.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Reaves is actually a decent hockey player, he’s also played what, 3 playoff games and has 0 fights in the playoffs?

Same with England, he’s being deployed appropriately and isn’t playing Bieksa hockey.

I also don’t get your point, every fan on this forum would love a few more Josh Mansons and Ryan Getzlafs
Everyone's dream lineup posted her has kossila grant and Roy as the 4th line. That's how bad this board has gotten.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Dirk is right. You can make it to the Cup final dressing an enforcer (or two). It isn't a requirement and it isn't something you need to actively pursue. Also not the most important thing at all

But to say the team would be automatically better off without Reaves or Wilson is something the annoying mainboard fans cling to.
I would take either of those guys over anyone we've had on our 4th line since Bonino

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirk316

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Dirk is right. You can make it to the Cup final dressing an enforcer (or two). It isn't a requirement and it isn't something you need to actively pursue. Also not the most important thing at all

But to say the team would be automatically better off without Reaves or Wilson is something the annoying mainboard fans cling to.
I would take either of those guys over anyone we've had on our 4th line since Bonino
Vegas did seem just fine without Reaves for a majority of the playoffs. But yeah, I would take any of them over most of our 4th liners since they can actually play hockey.

Reactions: AngelDuck

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Vegas did seem just fine without Reaves for a majority of the playoffs. But yeah, I would take any of them over most of our 4th liners since they can actually play hockey.
Yeah, that's exactly my point. They aren't necessary for team success but they won't deter it either

Reactions: dracom

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Tampa is equal to this current Ducks team in toughness. What it does show is you can get to the Stanley cup dressing an enforcer. Also Wilson is a borderline enforcer as well

Yeah you can. And I’m all for toughness. But the main reason Vegas is there is because of Fleury and has little to do with Reaves and Engelland playing regular minutes.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Not to mention that when Wilson pulls his head out of his ass and isn't headhunting, he can actually play hockey.

You know, unlike Reaves, Engelland or Boll.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Not to mention that when Wilson pulls his head out of his ass and isn't headhunting, he can actually play hockey.

Engelland has turned into a real good player. He looks like a shutdown dman. He's been what we wanted Bieksa to be for us (lol).

Reaves is also not that bad. He's a Shawn Thornton in his prime type

Boll is trash. BM either needs to go away from toughness, or get an enforcer like Reaves who isn't completely worthless

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo

The issue is Dirk thinks guys like Boll are actual "enforcers." Boll and his stupid staged fights add nothing to the team. Boll doesn't really enforce and is not a deterrent. He also has no real skill and forces the coach to play the 4th line for 3 mins due to his lack of actual hockey skills.

You can absolutely dress enforcers who can actually play hockey in your lineup and be successful. Dirk seems to think there should be an "enforcer" in the lineup at all costs even if that enforcer cant play hockey. I have no doubt most of us would love an enforcer who could play positive hockey on the 4th line for up to 10 or so minutes a game. But if I had to choose between having a worthless enforcer like Boll on the fourth line and having a smaller, skilled guy like Kosalia and Roy, I chose the skilled guy every time.

I will say that BM should know RC wants to have "toughness" on the fourth line and yet he only has Boll as an option? That once again shows the GM is not always on the same page as the coach. This also makes the decision to keep RC on seem crazy since he and BM don't seem to be on the same page. Another baffling thing about BM.

Reactions: SirQuacksAlot

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
The issue is Dirk thinks guys like Boll are actual "enforcers." Boll and his stupid staged fights add nothing to the team. Boll doesn't really enforce and is not a deterrent. He also has no real skill and forces the coach to play the 4th line for 3 mins due to his lack of actual hockey skills.

You can absolutely dress enforcers who can actually play hockey in your lineup and be successful. Dirk seems to think there should be an "enforcer" in the lineup at all costs even if that enforcer cant play hockey. I have no doubt most of us would love an enforcer who could play positive hockey on the 4th line for up to 10 or so minutes a game. But if I had to choose between having a worthless enforcer like Boll on the fourth line and having a smaller, skilled guy like Kosalia and Roy, I chose the skilled guy every time.

I will say that BM should know RC wants to have "toughness" on the fourth line and yet he only has Boll as an option? That once again shows the GM is not always on the same page as the coach. This also makes the decision to keep RC on seem crazy since he and BM don't seem to be on the same page. Another baffling thing about BM.

This is correct. Look at Wilson on Washington, he's a big guy that fights, but he also clears the crease so Holtby can see shots better. He doesn't cost his team when he's on the ice. Engelland and Reaves on Vegas try to force turnovers through physical play. Boll doesn't. He doesn't add much to the team, if anything he's a net negative.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

I agree. The last paragraph is spot on. BM only believes in toughness in name. He'll never go out and acquire tough guys that are actually going to make a meaningful impact. The only way we get those players is if we draft them (Ritchie, Manson, hopefully Jones)

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
Everyone's dream lineup posted her has kossila grant and Roy as the 4th line. That's how bad this board has gotten.

I don't think that's true. Most people want to dress the players they think will make a difference. Most fans love Josh Manson, he's the type of tough player every team needs and most fans love. The problem is, we don't have anyone else like him in our system, other than maybe Max Jones.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

I think you're ignoring that Wilson, Reaves, and England are all far better players than guys like Boll, who you constantly promote. There are some who even wouldn't want Reaves, but I'd say the majority of the posters here would be all for Reaves being here (depending on $). Reaves can actually play hockey though. That's the difference Dirk. So I think what this is showing us is that you can get to the Stanley Cup by having a solid 4th line player, who's also an enforcer. Not many would have disagreed with that. You seem to be using Reaves as argument that supports players like Boll, when actually it shows how useless Boll is because we're seeing first hand what an enforcer, who is actually decent at hockey, can do for a team.

Reactions: Tiny Biggs

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

This is a gross exaggeration. There may be a few here, but for most that post that 4th line, that's due to the other options on the team. Give me those guys over Boll any day, and I'm definitely "pro enforcer".

Reaves and Engelland should not be grouped with Boll. Those two can actually play hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad