Rebuilding the Team

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
All this talk of trading Perry is puzzling. Yeah, I'd love to move him but that's easier said than done. He's owed $24M over the next and last 3 years of his deal. His production has been declining and he's old and slow in a league that is getting faster and younger. I'm sure some teams would still want him but not in any way that the Ducks could be happy with. For starters I'm convinced it would require 50% retention which is the max allowed. Then you would have to be happy with pretty much nothing coming back or maybe even a partial cap dump. And of course there is that NMC which means if Perry doesn't wanna go there, he's not going. Wanna buy him out? Sure, for a mere $18M he's gone. Just for reference that's more than Henry got for Vegas entering the league. Think he wants to give that to Perry and then pay somebody else a comparable amount to actually play for the team? I don't think so.

It's time for a whole new thought process and a new direction from management. After you get a new coach Perry probably needs to shuffle up and down the lineup like Maroon used to. Maybe you buy out his last year if it helps you with ED. You build a 4th like trying Roy, Kossila, Terry, Jones, Steel along with maybe Grant. You hope one or two of those young guys has the ability to maybe slide up in the lineup during the year. You move Silf because we stop focusing on a shutdown line and you let Rico shift between 2C/3C/2W as needed.

There's a lot of talent still here and a lot of options when you commit to playing 12 forwards every night with a 4th line getting no less than 8-10 minutes or more every night. It just takes that totally fresh look on how to compete in today's NHL.

Reactions: branmuffin17

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
Don't in the least.

So when other teams aren't trying as hard during the regular season he's "effective" on D, but when teams play hard in the PO you're alright with him getting exposed? Maybe you should become a caps fan, they regularly win the president's cup for their regular season play, but go nowhere in the playoffs. Perhaps that's your objective.

I suggest you go back and watch some footage of Getzlaf in past playoff series’s. Hell, just go look at his stats in the postseason and you’ll see why you’re wrong.

I can’t tell if you’re trying to project Tavares’ deficiencies onto Getzlaf or legitimately started following the Ducks as of 1 week ago. Either way, you’re way off base.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Silf has literally zero creativity. He is really good on the boards and as a grinder but when he is carrying the puck in his only move is shoot a shot at the goalies chest or miss the net from a bad angle.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Silf has literally zero creativity. He is really good on the boards and as a grinder but when he is carrying the puck in his only move is shoot a shot at the goalies chest or miss the net from a bad angle.
Most of our team has no creativity... and if they did RC likely drained it out of them already.

Reactions: Beretta 390

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
This team is absolutely does not need a rebuild. Rebuilds are necessary when your team has a poor prospect pool and young talent and your older players aren’t getting it done. We have enough young roster players and a good enough pool to where a rebuild would be idiotic.

Many of the so-called experts who make a living in the league would strongly disagree with you. I heard Pierre McGuire -among others- on sport radio this morning say that the days of ‘heavy hockey’ are over. He uses the spectacular flameout of LA, St-Louis and you guys as proof of this. All three teams were remarkably succesfull over the last decade + playing a mean brand of ‘heavy hockey’ but today’s game with extreme emphasis on speed , skill and puck possession will likely ,according to McGuire, require a complete overall in all three organizations.
#RIPHeavyHockey

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The semantics of rebuild vs retool is meaningless. What matters is this team needs a 180 in the system it plays and how it thinks of developing and utilizing its players.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
The first thing this team needs is to replace Carlyle. The Ducks will have a mix of slow and above average speed players no matter what is done.

The problem with the current situation has to do with doling out about the same minutes game in game out pretty much by line... top line 20+ minutes, 4th line 5 minutes. Each game needs to be evaluated and adjusted. If your 4th line had a bunch of kids (it would be nice to see a kid line again... lol) and they are killing it out there, play them. The biggest issue is not establishing chemistry through all the lines and not playing the best lines in the current game more minutes.

William Karlsson may never come close to 40 again, but how does this happen? And can it happen to a lot of other players who are buried on some depth chart. I don't know. I just feel most NHL teams and systems utilize certain players the same and over-value their veterans.

John

Oct 18, 2011
This team needs a rebuild. We are not going anywhere with the 3 old guys.

How do we start this process?
All options must be considered. A full rebuild is probably not necessary but if you can get rid of some of the higher priced guys you have to look at it.

I would like to see Anaheim get more high skill players in the system

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
All options must be considered. A full rebuild is probably not necessary but if you can get rid of some of the higher priced guys you have to look at it.

I would like to see Anaheim get more high skill players in the system
Yes, but only after we waste our highest pick on a big and physical LW and sign a a slow but tough veteran defenseman for at least 4x3.5 M

Reactions: Getz2perry

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Many of the so-called experts who make a living in the league would strongly disagree with you. I heard Pierre McGuire -among others- on sport radio this morning say that the days of ‘heavy hockey’ are over. He uses the spectacular flameout of LA, St-Louis and you guys as proof of this. All three teams were remarkably succesfull over the last decade + playing a mean brand of ‘heavy hockey’ but today’s game with extreme emphasis on speed , skill and puck possession will likely ,according to McGuire, require a complete overall in all three organizations.
#RIPHeavyHockey

I think we are quite set for this. Our D is speedy, skilled and can play a puck possession game. Welinsky, Larsson and Mahura fit the bill as well. And up in front Comtois, Morand, Badini are all talented, Jones and Steel as well, although Jones has a lot to prove. Terry is a skilled player. Kase has emerged and even Nick Sorensen would fit the bill.

This team has a lot of speed and skill in the system.

Yes, but only after we waste our highest pick on a big and physical LW and sign a a slow but tough veteran defenseman for at least 4x3.5 M

You mean Ritchie? Lets face it, Ehlers would have been the pick but was gone. There are only two players after Ritchie that are much better. Larkin and Pastrnak. Both were listed much lower at all rankings. Ritchie was a good pick back then and I still think he can be a very good player under a different coach.

Look at Dal Colle he was a top 5 pick all year, or Virtanen.

Last edited:

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The first thing this team needs is to replace Carlyle. The Ducks will have a mix of slow and above average speed players no matter what is done.

The problem with the current situation has to do with doling out about the same minutes game in game out pretty much by line... top line 20+ minutes, 4th line 5 minutes. Each game needs to be evaluated and adjusted. If your 4th line had a bunch of kids (it would be nice to see a kid line again... lol) and they are killing it out there, play them. The biggest issue is not establishing chemistry through all the lines and not playing the best lines in the current game more minutes.

William Karlsson may never come close to 40 again, but how does this happen? And can it happen to a lot of other players who are buried on some depth chart. I don't know. I just feel most NHL teams and systems utilize certain players the same and over-value their veterans.

John
This is a really good post

Reactions: Beretta 390

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
One of the problems with young players is that it is easy to give up on them too early. Look at Noesen, who was given away by BM and became a decent third line player for NJ with 12 goals, Wild Bill, or even DSP who is a decent fourth line player for Washington with 7 goals. I would hate to give up on Ritchie just because he hasn't become a top six forward yet (if ever). The great disappointment with Ritchie as the number 10 pick is that he hasn't become a top six player, which is want you would hope for from someone drafted that high. But I would want to wait a couple more years to just give up on him. I think that he still has the potential to contribute.

Reactions: duckpuck

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Kapanen's goal tonight is what I assume he is referring to.
Oh, in that case, no, a single highlight doesn't suddenly change what I think about that player. I've seen players like Daniel Paille score great goals. They don't mean anything on their own.

Reactions: Paul4587

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
One of the problems with young players is that it is easy to give up on them too early. Look at Noesen, who was given away by BM and became a decent third line player for NJ with 12 goals, Wild Bill, or even DSP who is a decent fourth line player for Washington with 7 goals. I would hate to give up on Ritchie just because he hasn't become a top six forward yet (if ever). The great disappointment with Ritchie as the number 10 pick is that he hasn't become a top six player, which is want you would hope for from someone drafted that high. But I would want to wait a couple more years to just give up on him. I think that he still has the potential to contribute.

And I would add, part of giving up too early is when you're not playing you players because you know they will make mistakes. Obviously, in large part I'm referring to Carlyle's 4th line - he gives "safe vets" 6-8 minutes a game when he should really be giving young players 10-12 minutes to develop. If you do that early in the season - and the player knows that one mistake won't put them back in San Diego - then you end up with much more upside come playoff time.

Palmieri was never given a steady role (mostly because Selanne was blocking him and untimely injuries) and Noesen was forced to play sporadically on lines with "gritty veterans" rather than offensive players. I think those are good examples (not to mention sending Roy and Kossila back to the minors in favor of Chimera and Kelly).

DSP has bounced around due to effort/consistency issues - not sure the ducks can wear that one. And Wild Bill was traded in a deal that at the time, made sense, but looks bad now. For me, its mostly about not giving young players a chance to develop in the bottom six with decent minutes and linemates.

Oct 18, 2011
The Palmieri trade was awful the second it was conceived and Bob's logic for it was even worse.

Using Karlsson as a chip wasn't an issue for me...trading him for an injured player was

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
We need a faster style and play people based on effort and not accepting the dump in / clear off the board strategy.

People should be able to commit mistakes and still get playing time if they learn from them. Consistent stupidity by younger guys or veterans should be benching.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
#RIPHeavyHockey

The Ducks doesn't even play heavy hockey. It's a misconception coming from an old identity thats no longer here.

We have a team that's old, slow, soft and uncreative. There's no identity whatsoever. The 07 team that won was better at everything. It was a 'heavy team', but it had quite a lot of skill too.

NetflixandPhil

May 7, 2016
As a guy who primarily watches Leafs and Ducks, I can confidently say that Kapanen probably isn't a fit for you guys. Kapanen will end up as a 3rd liner with a couple of moderately high scoring seasons (20 G 15-20A). He's alot like Carl Hagelin and that experiment didn't work out. He'll create more scoring chances than a guy like Ritchie would but Kapanen is not a good finisher. I think a new coach would probably give Ritchie more confidence with the puck and help him progress into a potential 20 goal a year guy. I also think having Cogliano there makes Kapanen's role more redundant.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad