Speculation: realistic Karlsson suitors

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Don't forget that the Cap is projected to go up by 3-7 million for next season.
NHL revenues, salary cap projected to rise

We could make it work, even if we get ryan. Maybe we can plug him with McDavid and it works.
Karlsson is a player we need, and if he is willing to re-sign you make it happen within not too extremist boundaries.

This all being said, I feel extremely bad for sens fans that this is even a conversation because of poor ownership but i think if he were to go to the Oil, he would be a king here like McDavid is.

I just don't see Karlsson going to Edmonton. Why not just re sign in Ottawa... His family and friends are here and it's a better place to live. If he leaves it's to upgrade the city he is playing in. His wife wont move from Ottawa to Edmonton.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
If its gonna be a big trade: Colorado, New Jersey, or Vegas (though based on this year, maybe a big trade would rock the boat)

If he makes it all the way to free agency: Colorado (still), Vegas (still), San Jose orrrrr (gulp) Tampa Bay. Maybe Dallas with an outside shot?

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
He will become a Golden Knight mark my words!!
Vegas has become the new Toronto. Every player is going there. To help them out, the NHL will allow Vegas to carry 50 players on the roster and ice 8 at a time instead of 5 giving them a full time 3 man advantage. It is for the good of the game.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
:caps

The Caps will have an interesting offseason if they bow out early again. Likely a new coach and likely some pieces being moved. Washington will probably have 2 1st round picks after they trade Grubauer / Holtby (likely Grubauer) this offseason. If Carlson doesn't resign they could look to trade his rights as well. They also have some young defensive pieces that could be attractive to Ottawa in a rebuild situation (Lucas Johansen, Jonas Siegenthaler, Christian Djoos, etc), and I wouldn't doubt that they'd be willing to throw a guy like Andre Burakovsky in there as well.

They were rumored to be going hard after EK at the TDL... wouldn't surprise me at all if GMBM went after him again at the draft.

Reactions: pmwlker

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
If they really want to shed that Ryan contract it just comes down to
-fitting in 17m+
-the team needs to be one of Karlsson's 5-10 preferred destinations
-the assets Ottawa takes back
-whether Ottawa wins the Dahlin sweepstakes

I don't really get why people are saying NJ has massive cap space. Clowe coming off the books isn't enough to take on Bobby Ryan's hit. Hall, Vatanen, Hischier need to be re-upped soon and they'd be right up against the cap. That's a lot of uncertainty and turnover to take on over 17m of cap.

A team like Colorado, however, seems to have 23+m in space if they move Barrie.

I would. Top 3 defenders in the world are next to impossible to find. And I think GMGM agrees with me given that he seemed to be close to pulling it off at the deadline. The Clarkson and Brassard contacts are inconsequential as we're not a budget team and they are very short term and Clarkson can be put on LTIR if need be. So let's look at a the financial outlook while assuming the cap stays at a flat 75m (it won't) and we pull off EK and Bobby for Theo/Brannstrom+Eakin+picks/prospects.

Say Wild Bill gets somewhere in the 5 million range. Could be short term or long term.
Miller right around 3m per.
Carrier and Nosek~ 1m
Probably have to let Perron and Neal walk which I would lean towards anyways if they want anything more than 4 years.
Karlsson extension 9m per. Bit of a market discount because no state tax.

This hypothetical 2018-2019 roster would come in right around 71m with Clarkson included. So room to fill whatever holes may arise. Also not accounting for the possibility that a Glass or Brannstrom could force their way onto it.

Marche-Karlsson-Smith
Ryan-Haula-Tuch
Tatar-____-Carpenter
Nosek-Bellemare-Carrier
Lindberg

Mcnabb-Karlsson
Schmidt-Engelland
Merril-Miller
Hunt

Fleury
Subban

The cap going up this year and next should cover most of EK and Schmidt's raises. Worst case scenario they could look to move Tatar if he's still not a fit come next deadline. In conclusion, for a player of EK's caliber the money can and will work.

Maybe. If the cap goes up to 81m this year it's safe to assume it would be 83 or higher when his extension kicks in, which would make keeping Perron feasible. Without Perron that forward lineup makes the deal 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

But still no guarantees he settles for under 10m.

Though one thing I just realized is Seattle will also be in the league when his extension kicks in. Another cap dumping ground for Clarkson and maybe Ryan if he doesn't pan out.

Last edited:

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Yep. They would be a perfect fit. Only if
1.) Karlson believes in them
2.) he is ok with the cold.

But ultimately getting their first and barrie would be ideal for them.

Good idea!
Ultimately it will come down to who Karlson believes in....
Is jersey for real? Vegas? Who knows how he views the teams
You think he's worried about the cold in Colorado, but not in NY or NJ? Denver can be quite nice in the winter.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Yep. They would be a perfect fit. Only if
1.) Karlson believes in them
2.) he is ok with the cold.

But ultimately getting their first and barrie would be ideal for them.

Good idea!
Ultimately it will come down to who Karlson believes in....
Is jersey for real? Vegas? Who knows how he views the teams
Lol he's played in Ottawa and suddenly he needs to be ok with playing in the cold in Colorado?

Wut?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
If they really want to shed that Ryan contract.....

I honestly don't get including Ryan in the deal. For starters it will reduce the amount of potential trade partners which will reduce what they can get back for Karlsson.

If Ottawa is going to be cheap when it comes to the cap they will need a couple big contracts just to get over the cap min, they might as well just suck it up and pay Ryan while they rebuild

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Yes NYR and Vancouver are possible destinations. They have the assets and the cap space. Especially Vancouver. If they wanted to they could offer him 14m.

I honestly don't get including Ryan in the deal. For starters it will reduce the amount of potential trade partners which will reduce what they can get back for Karlsson.

If Ottawa is going to be cheap when it comes to the cap they will need a couple big contracts just to get over the cap min, they might as well just suck it up and pay Ryan while they rebuild

or pay Seattle to draft him

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
There is no way that Ottawa trades him unsigned so everyone can forget that. He'll either have already negotiated with the other team or agreed to a sign and trade, there is ZERO logic in doing anything else. So when thinking of your offers for EK keep in mind you are getting 8 or 9 years of EK depending on which scenario plays out.

Keeben

Sep 26, 2016
He is going to free agency and will sign with one of the following.

Sharks
Vegas
Lightning ( They always seem to make big contracts work)

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Yes NYR and Vancouver are possible destinations. They have the assets and the cap space. Especially Vancouver. If they wanted to they could offer him 14m.

or pay Seattle to draft him

Knowing the NHL, we'll have another lockout before then and there will be compliance buyouts.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Colorado made too much sense at the deadline and MacKinnon winning the Hart won't change that. Ottawa gets their pick back and saves a bit of face, and that's worth a lot more than any other 2019 potential top 5 pick. If Karlsson needs another reason other than MacKinnon there's countryman Landeskog.

Knowing the NHL, we'll have another lockout before then and there will be compliance buyouts.

when is doomsday(end of current cba?)

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado made too much sense at the deadline and MacKinnon winning the Hart won't change that. Ottawa gets their pick back and saves a bit of face, and that's worth a lot more than any other 2019 potential top 5 pick. If Karlsson needs another reason other than MacKinnon there's countryman Landeskog.

when is doomsday(end of current cba?)

It expires after the 2021-2022 season. But both the NHL and NHLPA can opt out after next season (September 2019). And considering all the posturing both have been doing and how Bettman operates, I'd bet we see a lockout after next season.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Anaheim. They're about to, probably, call an end to the Getzlaf-Perry-Kesler experiment...and a Perry to Ottawa for Karlsson probably looks good to Melnyk, money-wise.

Of course, Perry has a NMC so that makes it rough.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Anaheim. They're about to, probably, call an end to the Getzlaf-Perry-Kesler experiment...and a Perry to Ottawa for Karlsson probably looks good to Melnyk, money-wise.

Of course, Perry has a NMC so that makes it rough.

That's the most insane deal I've seen so far, so congrats on that I guess.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Doesn’t Tampa have lots of money coming off their books soon? (Callahan 6m?)

I think there’s a chance Karlsson goes to play in sunny Tampa with fellow countryman Viktor Hedman.

Kucherov Stamkos locked up long term. They can unload a Tyler Johnson easily. Callahan gone soon.

Imagine a blue line featuring:
Hedman
Karlsson
McDonagh
Sergachev

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
That's the most insane deal I've seen so far, so congrats on that I guess.
It's not that crazy, though, if you consider that Anaheim needs to retool/rebuild because its frontline is getting older, and adding Karlsson would give them their #1 d-man they've been needing. That and they have a ton of cap space, going into next year. Top 4 of Fowler, Lindholm, Montour, and Karlsson would be pretty amazing.

Only unrealistic part is Perry having the NMC.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
It's not that crazy, though, if you consider that Anaheim needs to retool/rebuild because its frontline is getting older, and adding Karlsson would give them their #1 d-man they've been needing. That and they have a ton of cap space, going into next year. Top 4 of Fowler, Lindholm, Montour, and Karlsson would be pretty amazing.

Karlsson is 5 years younger and produces way more than Perry. Perry is making an average of 8 million on his last 3 years. Anaheim would have to add significantly. And tbh I'd way rather just pay Karlsson the extra 2 million unless the add is very significant.

Reactions: branch

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016

he means its laughable to think Ottawa would entertain a Perry for Karlsson trade.

We all agree the Ducks would love that, though

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012

Anaheim would have way too much money committed to their D, especially when their most glaring need is speed and skill up front. The only way a Karlsson trade makes sense is if Fowler+Eaves are going the other way. Problem with that is it would leave us with 3 RD and Lindholm as the lone top 4 LD. There also isn't a snowballs chance in hell Ottawa touches a deal based on Perry for Karlsson. I don't think there is a team in the league that will take him at his full cap hit without sending an awful contract in return.

Reactions: JackSkellington

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Anaheim would have way too much money committed to their D, especially when their most glaring need is speed and skill up front. The only way a Karlsson trade makes sense is if Fowler+Eaves are going the other way. Problem with that is it would leave us with 3 RD and Lindholm as the lone top 4 LD. There also isn't a snowballs chance in hell Ottawa touches a deal based on Perry for Karlsson. I don't think there is a team in the league that will take him at his full cap hit without sending an awful contract in return.
We are talking about Melnyk....right? The guy that is running a Norris Trophy winner out of town, right? The guy who sabotaged his own Winter Classic game and actually removed seats from his arena to make less potential money and disenfranchised an entire fan base.

I think a deal with Perry as a starting piece is more plausible than trading Karlsson for prospects and picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad