Speculation: realistic Karlsson suitors

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
is there a realistic trade that even involves an extension in place? When was the last time a sign-and-trade even happened?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
is there a realistic trade that even involves an extension in place? When was the last time a sign-and-trade even happened?

A true sign and trade? No.

A trade where the team receiving a player is allowed to ensure an extension will be in place happens quite often. One happened earlier this year with Kyle Turris being sent to Nashville.

Reactions: Classic Devil

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Don't forget that the Cap is projected to go up by 3-7 million for next season.
NHL revenues, salary cap projected to rise

We could make it work, even if we get ryan. Maybe we can plug him with McDavid and it works.
Karlsson is a player we need, and if he is willing to re-sign you make it happen within not too extremist boundaries.

This all being said, I feel extremely bad for sens fans that this is even a conversation because of poor ownership but i think if he were to go to the Oil, he would be a king here like McDavid is.
I joke I joke, I kid I kid...
I forgot the exact cap hit but assumed it was somewhat reasonable.. dam 7.25m until the 2021 season? :skull:

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
If (and this is a big IF) the Sens trade EK then they are going full rebuild. With that thought in mind they'd be looking for young assets that would jump start that rebuild. No team is going to take away a major piece of their current core (like an LD from the Oilers) and even slightly older players wouldn't be the new core the Sens would want to be building around.

Having said all that, I doubt any team could put together a better package than the Flyers. Now I'm not saying that we would or SHOULD make this kind of off but we have the assets and cap space to get this deal done.

To Flyers: EK (we would have to be able to talk to him ahead of time and have an extension worked out)

To Sen: Sanheim, Frost, Blues 1st (14 OA) and the Flyer 1st (19th OA).

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Vegas, Colorado, New Jersey. Probably in that order.

Edmonton's chances begin and end with Draisaitl, so that may be the x-factor.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
???
A team with Burns also needs Karlsson?

Also, do they actually have the pieces to make it happen?

Their core is aging, and their window of opportunity to win a cup is closing. They also have tonnes of cap space, and a lot of their picks. I think if they get a chance to get Karlsson or Tavares, they take a shot and put them over the edge

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
To me the best option for Ottawa is Colorado. Try get their first rounder back + Barrie. If they do this then they are more free to make other moves without worrying it will bite them in the arse

Both 2018 1sts (Col and Ott given back) + Barrie for Karlsson
Sens then enter a full on rebuild.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Vegas wanted him at the deadline and can't see why they wouldn't still.

While I'm all giddy over what Vegas has done this year they are a team of nobodies that have struck lightning in a bottle. If I'm EK there is no way I sign an extension with them and believe that they are for real.

Sorry Vegas fans, I really am cheering for you to win the cup but I just don't see that team doing this well again next season.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
While I'm all giddy over what Vegas has done this year they are a team of nobodies that have struck lightning in a bottle. If I'm EK there is no way I sign an extension with them and believe that they are for real.

Sorry Vegas fans, I really am cheering for you to win the cup but I just don't see that team doing this well again next season.
You're really under selling them. Really good depth and some higher end talent that wasn't expected at this level.

Very good coaching, goaltending, lots of assets they can use for right now if they want. Legitimate.

Reactions: bert

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Not the best player in his position in his prime nope thats terrible. Barrie, Makar and the pick have to be in the package or the sens will trade him somewhere else. Maybe a small add from Ottawa but thats it.

:laugh:

You're not getting two Top 5 picks and a Top 5 Puck moving Dman in the league for 1 year of Karlsson.

Avs need to stay far away from EK. Keep building from within on Defense.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Their core is aging, and their window of opportunity to win a cup is closing. They also have tonnes of cap space, and a lot of their picks. I think if they get a chance to get Karlsson or Tavares, they take a shot and put them over the edge

I'm not arguing that the situation is/isn't right (cap space, window), I'm just questioning what pieces could actually get it done?

Pavelski, Couture, Burns and Vlasic all have NTC/NMC's. So what are we looking at? Braun+Hertl+Meier+1st? Are you telling me the Sens are excited with something like that? I doubt it.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Nashville could do something around Karlsson for Subban.

The Senators are on a supposed 5 year plan. Subban is signed for 4 more seasons at 10/10/8/8 which in terms of real money is probably in line with what Ottawa would hope to get Karlsson signed for.

It would be the closest thing the Senators could do to a lateral move and they'd be getting a legit superstar who while not as good as Karlsson, league wide is more popular and marketable than him.

Would be hilarious to see Subban play that close to montreal.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Better off waiting until he hits free agency if the ask is anywhere near what Ottawa fans want. Especially since they're going to want young good players back who could be kept to balance out his cap hit.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Zero interest in that package unfortunately. Colorado isn't a good fit for Ottawa
Actually they are the best fit because a deal with them hypothetically gives Ottawa the opportunity to do the rebuild properly. People around here expecting Ottawa to get peanuts for Karlsson are going to be shocked for what he gets traded for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad