Speculation: realistic Karlsson suitors

Oct 18, 2011
I Know Sens fans are probably sick of talking about him being traded but I think it would be good if we narrowed the list of suitors based on four categories.

Need:
Who needs a number 1 dman?

Window:
Who is entering or is in a cup contending window? It makes no sense for Karlsson to go to, and then commit to a rebuild at this stage of his career.

Assets:
Who has the tradeable assets without crippling their organization?

Money:
Who has the money available to pay him a fair market deal?

In theory every team should want him but the reality is very few teams fit all four categories I've laid out.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Well for need and window, I think Edm fits that. Assets, I think if they'd pay, they'd be borderline crippled as their depth is nonexistent already. And money, I can't see them being able to pay Karlsson a fair deal with all the other contracts they have. They'd have to ship some out, which won't be easy.

Wasn't there also a report somewhere that said Edm was on Karlsson's no trade list anyway? I can't remember.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If one of the prospect wingers we have impresses and/or shows chemistry with Matthews, and we get a long-term solution for our #2/3C, I could see Nylander+ being available. Again, assuming the contract demands aren't insane and the injury concerns are gone. Failing any of those conditions, I'd rather just take a risk and wait for UFA.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
New Jersey. Maybe. Only category which isn't clear to me is assets.

Needs #1 defenseman - check.
Entering a cup-contenting window - we're on the upswing and entering a time of possibility, not exiting one - check.
Has the available money and cap space - check.

Assets - depends. What's the asking price?

I believe Jersey is the best option for him Karlsson, I think he likes the idea of being in New York personally. I dont agree with the OP that rebuilding teams are out as a destination for him. It doesnt take long to turn a team around and he is only 27 something people seem to be forgeting about Karlsson, specifically when they start making proposals on his value.

To me the best option for Ottawa is Colorado. Try get their first rounder back + Barrie. If they do this then they are more free to make other moves without worrying it will bite them in the arse

I agree for Ottawa its the best fit, if they only get their first and Barrie back for him though wow thats brutal.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
To me the best option for Ottawa is Colorado. Try get their first rounder back + Barrie. If they do this then they are more free to make other moves without worrying it will bite them in the arse

Yep. They would be a perfect fit. Only if
1.) Karlson believes in them
2.) he is ok with the cold.

But ultimately getting their first and barrie would be ideal for them.

Good idea!
Ultimately it will come down to who Karlson believes in....
Is jersey for real? Vegas? Who knows how he views the teams

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I believe Jersey is the best option for him Karlsson, I think he likes the idea of being in New York personally. I dont agree with the OP that rebuilding teams are out as a destination for him. It doesnt take long to turn a team around and he is only 27 something people seem to be forgeting about Karlsson, specifically when they start making proposals on his value.

I agree for Ottawa its the best fit, if they only get their first and Barrie back for him though wow thats brutal.

A top 10 pick ish and a pmd is great for a last year player.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
A top 10 pick ish and a pmd is great for a last year player.

Not the best player in his position in his prime nope thats terrible. Barrie, Makar and the pick have to be in the package or the sens will trade him somewhere else. Maybe a small add from Ottawa but thats it.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Canes

Need: Offensive Superstar and #1 RHD (Slavin-Karlsson pairing)
Window: Karlsson would be on the older end of the core but their new owner wants to compete next year. They need a goalie.
Assets: They could make something work. Hanifin, Faulk, Pesce, Skinner, and Lindholm could all be starting points. Canes have a top-10 or top-5 pool of futures to add.
Money: Cap space is the Canes primary asset at this point. They have $20-25+ million going into the offseason.
Karlsson’s interest: questionable

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Vegas checks off all the boxes. It remains to be seen whether they want to parlay their future on him.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Jets might, but depends on

- Is he willing to sign long term?

- What's the cap hit long term?

- What do the Sens in the real world expect from the Jets as a return?

- Are the Sens willing to take a big cap hit back?

Jan 21, 2018
In before a bunch of uninformed posters say Karlsson isn't signed, is a UFA, rental etc blah blah thus is only worth their team's expendable assets.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Not the best player in his position in his prime nope thats terrible. Barrie, Makar and the pick have to be in the package or the sens will trade him somewhere else. Maybe a small add from Ottawa but thats it.

While it's fair to say Colorado might have to add to Barrie + a most likely top 10 pick in 2019, Makar is way to much. You act as if Barrie is chopped liver. Maybe a top 10 protected pick in 2019(Colorado) might equal things out

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
colorado at most should offer barrie+ ottawa first (top5 pick) and thats it. barrie is a very good point producing defensemen himself signed at a reasonable price for term. Karlsson has one year left and is going to look for 10+m with no guarantee it's in colorado. Just because colorado took ottawa to town for duchene doesn't mean they are going to give it all right back.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Islanders (if Tavares stays)

Big problem for Islanders is

1) we don't know if Tavares will stay
2) we don't know if Karlsson would sign with us
3) are 2 biggest pieces we would use in a trade(10th and 12th pick) will most likely both be used up by time we could know 1 + 2

Reactions: MattBarzal

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

But it depends on where he will sign. No one is going pay that much for a UFA. With term sure. That would be the price. But to have him walk would be devastating at that price. Would you have paid Chabot Hoffman your first for Tavares in sept?

He is in his last year. He can choose who he will sign with or not.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sharks could fit all of that but likely wouldn't make Karlsson their top priority in the off-season as I think that would be Tavares. The Sharks could finagle both under the right circumstances but that's of course a pipe dream among pipe dreams.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I Know Sens fans are probably sick of talking about him being traded but I think it would be good if we narrowed the list of suitors based on four categories.

Need:
Who needs a number 1 dman?

Window:
Who is entering or is in a cup contending window? It makes no sense for Karlsson to go to, and then commit to a rebuild at this stage of his career.

Assets:
Who has the tradeable assets without crippling their organization?

Money:
Who has the money available to pay him a fair market deal?

In theory every team should want him but the reality is very few teams fit all four categories I've laid out.
Has EK made it clear he only wants to play for a contender? I've only heard him say something along the lines of getting paid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad