Speculation: realistic Karlsson suitors

JackSkellington

Pumpkin King
Feb 18, 2016
South Florida
It's not that crazy, though, if you consider that Anaheim needs to retool/rebuild because its frontline is getting older, and adding Karlsson would give them their #1 d-man they've been needing. That and they have a ton of cap space, going into next year. Top 4 of Fowler, Lindholm, Montour, and Karlsson would be pretty amazing.

Only unrealistic part is Perry having the NMC.
This trade is so beyond unrealistic, how can a 32 year old Corey Perry who doesn’t score like he used to and takes dumb penalties get you a top 5 dman in his prime? This isn’t the Perry of 09’ this trade does nothing for Ottawa whose rebuilding and is a trade in a fairytale world a Ducks fan would make. Every Ducks fan is pissed at Perry and wants to dump him as if he’s still the 30 plus goal scorer for a legit talent in his prime. Let’s get real

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
We are talking about Melnyk....right? The guy that is running a Norris Trophy winner out of town, right? The guy who sabotaged his own Winter Classic game and actually removed seats from his arena to make less potential money and disenfranchised an entire fan base.

I think a deal with Perry as a starting piece is more plausible than trading Karlsson for prospects and picks.

it isn't

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Tampa has the assets but I dont think they would trade for him. I think they will take a shot on him if he makes it to FA.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I think he goes to the caps or Dallas. Both are dynamic offensive clubs who main offensive pieces are in their current prime, but both lack that game changing 1D, and that is their only hole. Karlsson knows that he could turn either of those rosters into a cup contender real quick.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I just don't see Karlsson going to Edmonton. Why not just re sign in Ottawa... His family and friends are here and it's a better place to live. If he leaves it's to upgrade the city he is playing in. His wife wont move from Ottawa to Edmonton.
How the f*** do you know?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I honestly don't get including Ryan in the deal. For starters it will reduce the amount of potential trade partners which will reduce what they can get back for Karlsson.

If Ottawa is going to be cheap when it comes to the cap they will need a couple big contracts just to get over the cap min, they might as well just suck it up and pay Ryan while they rebuild
According ro Dorion , the including Ryan in the deal as a must was Fake News .. we shall see .. they spin it pretty good

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
How the **** do you know?
Because I know them. He is likely gone but it wont be to another canadian team, thats why they are leaving in the first place, lifestyle, weather, media attention. She is from Ottawa all her family is here, she has a very tightly nit group of friends who provide alot of support, almost all of his friends live here and they are newly weds. If he plays in Canada it will be in Ottawa.

This pipe dream that fans think they are going to get Karlsson for pennies to the dollar and that he just wants out of Ottawa to go anywhere is innacurate and simply wishfull thinking.

Reactions: SenatorKarlsson

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I just don't see Karlsson going to Edmonton. Why not just re sign in Ottawa... His family and friends are here and it's a better place to live. If he leaves it's to upgrade the city he is playing in. His wife wont move from Ottawa to Edmonton.

I live in Ottawa twice and it is no upgrade on Edmonton . My sister is still there ( Orleans ) Been there for 30 plus years and she still likes they 2 AB cities more ( Calgary and Edmonton ) Also it has much better taxes . As for his wife won't move to Edmonton when did she tell you that ?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Because I know them. He is likely gone but it wont be to another canadian team, thats why they are leaving in the first place, lifestyle, weather, media attention. She is from Ottawa all her family is here, she has a very tightly nit group of friends who provide alot of support, almost all of his friends live here and they are newly weds. If he plays in Canada it will be in Ottawa.

This pipe dream that fans think they are going to get Karlsson for pennies to the dollar and that he just wants out of Ottawa to go anywhere is innacurate and simply wishfull thinking.

So you are saying you are a close friend of theirs ? :laugh: . Because you are saying they told you and I don't think it is something they would tell just anyone and have it get out like this . Close friend keep their mouths shut about their friends business

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
So you are saying you are a close friend of theirs ? :laugh: . Because you are saying they told you and I don't think it is something they would tell just anyone and have it get out like this . Close friend keep their mouths shut about their friends business

I know them yes, not close personally but two of my good friends were in his wedding party. You dont have to get so defensive when you hear something you dont like.

While Ottawa isnt some world class city, its not as cold as Edmonton, its on the East coast and is closer to more major markets. Her family is from here and so are all his friends, I dont understand how you are having such a hard time wrapping your head around this concept.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I know them yes, not close personally but two of my good friends were in his wedding party. You dont have to get so defensive when you hear something you dont like.

While Ottawa isnt some world class city, its not as cold as Edmonton, its on the East coast and is closer to more major markets. Her family is from here and so are all his friends, I dont understand how you are having such a hard time wrapping your head around this concept.

I don't care if you like Edmonton or not so I am not defensive . I live in the east too . Edmonton cold is a dry cold I would take it any day over the east damp cold that cut right to your bones . As for the 2nd bold part . When you are a pro sport player you have to be willing to move or get out of it . You go where the work is . If he was a UFA and only Edmonton offer him a contract are you saying he doesn't take it ?

My problem is when people talk in absolutes . As you never know what will change another person mind . If the Oilers owner came calling and rolled out the red carpet for him offer his wife a cushy job in another one of his business you have no ideal how they would reacted heck the Karlsson may not even know how they would react . That the reason every year in sport it seem someone is changing their mind or as HF like to say lying . See Justin Schultz as an example . Ducks fans all were calling him a liar because he said he would sign there . Thing can change making a person reevaluate the situation

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't care if you like Edmonton or not so I am not defensive . I live in the east too . Edmonton cold is a dry cold I would take it any day over the east damp cold that cut right to your bones . As for the 2nd bold part . When you are a pro sport player you have to be willing to move or get out of it . You go where the work is . If he was a UFA and only Edmonton offer him a contract are you saying he doesn't take it ?

My problem is when people talk in absolutes . As you never know what will change another person mind . If the Oilers owner came calling and rolled out the red carpet for him offer his wife a cushy job in another one of his business you have no ideal how the would reacted heck the Karlsson may not even know how they would react . That the reason ever year in sport it seem someone is changing they mind or as HF like to say lying . See Justin Schultz as an example . Ducks fans all were calling him a liar because he said he would sign there . Thing can change making a person reevaluate the situation

When did I personally say anything about Edmonton, its a comprable city to Ottawa and he is already happily here with a good support group and family in place. You clearly care as I didnt say anything other than its colder which it is. Ottawa is an 1.5 hour flight to New York, much closer flight to Sweden, hour and a half drive to Montreal and a 40 minute flight to Toronto. These are advantages whether you want to admit it or not when comparing markets.

I dont need a lecture on pro sports players, Erik Karlsson can play wherever he wants so I dont understand your second point as its not relevant whatsoever. Ofcourse a bubble player plays wherever there is work.

Whats there to re-evaluate exactly? Edmonton isnt all of a sudden going to be a non hockey market where its warm and is a world class city. Karlsson isnt Justin Schultz coming out of College, he is the best d man in hockey and due to a terrible owner in Ottawa a player like this is available in his prime for the first time in decades. He has his choice and its not uncommon knowledge the type of market he is looking for if he leaves Ottawa.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think NJ will certainly be calling about his services. They have the need and the cap space. They could probably put together a pretty good offer as well.

Crocoduck

Mar 3, 2013
Peterborough, Ont.
I think he goes to the caps or Dallas. Both are dynamic offensive clubs who main offensive pieces are in their current prime, but both lack that game changing 1D, and that is their only hole. Karlsson knows that he could turn either of those rosters into a cup contender real quick.
Are you suggesting Klingberg is not a game changing #1? This season, He more than proved that he is exactly that. I'm in no way saying Klingberg>= Karlsson, but I am saying 4.25M>10+M. Add in that Dallas desperately needs top 6 wingers and a 2C. For the first time in a very, very long time, D isn't our issue.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Go big or go home..
Karlsson+Hoffman+Pageau
for
Kopitar+Doughty

LA becomes fast... OTT becomes a contender.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Go big or go home..
Karlsson+Hoffman+Pageau
for
Kopitar+Doughty

LA becomes fast... OTT becomes a contender.

Doughty is gonna want just as much as Karlsson, there's no real indication that Karlsson won't re-sign here if the Senators offer him market value. The problem is, the Senators have established they cannot offer him market value (other teams would out gun them 5-1, etc) and will offer Karlsson the best offer they can on July 1st.

Trading for Doughty doesn't solve that problem.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Doughty is gonna want just as much as Karlsson, there's no real indication that Karlsson won't re-sign here if the Senators offer him market value. The problem is, the Senators have established they cannot offer him market value (other teams would out gun them 5-1, etc) and will offer Karlsson the best offer they can on July 1st.

Trading for Doughty doesn't solve that problem.

Or Kopitar for that matter, who has a fat contract himself.

Any deal where the Senators move Karlsson and still add salary is so unrealistic it's not worth discussing. The team isn't trading him, they are selling him and the pieces coming back will reflect that.

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
Philadelphia.

Assuming they get the St Louis first they would have the required assets to make a solid offer. Cap space would be the issue if anything. No way we could take Ryan as well.

2 firsts
Sanheim or Myers
? ( Some salary)

Would be a huge move for Hextall. Doubtful the way he values picks and the young talent.

I personally wouldn’t do it. Rather see if he or Doughty make it to free agency.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
7 teams failed to have a defenceman rank in the top 30 (40+ points) for scoring among Dmen this year:
Anaheim, Detroit, Carolina, NYR, Chicago, Edmonton, Vancouver
Note that Washington would be on this list if Carlson walks as a UFA at the end of this season.

Of those 8 teams, I'd say Washington, Carolina, Anaheim, Chicago, and Edmonton could be viable options from Karlsson's POV.

Things to consider:
Carolina may see Hanifin as a 1D soon
Washington may re-sign Carlson
Anaheim doesn't really need an upgrade on D, but they do lack a "true 1D"
Chicago had a bad year, so Duncan Keith could rebound
Edmonton is the one team that can absolutely use EK, but the asking price will be super high

As for cap... any team can afford EK if they want to. The assets they give up is what is more important.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad