Real Madrid - Liverpool: CL Final 26th May

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It really depends on Liverpool's wingers will they be star struck in the final or not. We've seen the likes of Buffon just implode at the thought of a CL win. Mind you he probably knew it was his last chance and the occasion overwhelmed him. Liverpools squad is young enough.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I’d have Salah and TAA blitzing Marcelo’s flank as often as possible.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Kovacic should start over Casemiro, but I'm pretty sure he won't thankfully. Also Lovren plays well in big games. Wijnaldum will be the one causing RM's midfield fits.

Should be an entertaining game though.
Lovren played well against City then made a typical Lovren error against Roma to keep the second leg alive. Lovren has rocks for brains.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Lovren played well against City then made a typical Lovren error against Roma to keep the second leg alive. Lovren has rocks for brains.

Yeah you never really know with him. And against City it was more than well, it was a 10/10 performance. In the first game Jesus touched the ball two times in the box.

That we don't know how he's going to play, is what makes his position in this game more interesting. He could play the game of his life, he's already done it a few times this season. Or he could lose the game by himself, he also did that once this season.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

The own goal? Its like a one-in-a-thousand chance it happens, and it did. Tough.

Lovren has been stellar since VVD came along. Their D has looked rock solid.

But people will continue to pile on Lovren because it's the popular thing to do, mostly without even watching the games.
When VVD "kept the tie alive" vs Man City, noone said a word. When he gave the penalty away vs Spurs in the last minute, noone said a word (I'll rephrase that, when he did the swing that gave reason to Lamela to dive) - if that was Lovren, he'd have been crucified.

Lovren makes mistakes, all defenders do. Is he Maldini? No.
But other than the circus showing vs Spurs, he's had a very good season - and honestly, since Klopp came, he's been solid (especially considering the system Liverpool play).

Reactions: YNWA14

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The press in Spain is savage:

“There isn’t any sensation of fear in Madrid about Liverpool—among the directors, among the players.
“They’re relaxed in Real Madrid before this final. They’ve never been so calm and confident in the club before a final than now.
“This final is the easiest final they have in front of them, all of them – [club president] Florentino Perez, the captains. Everyone.”

“Liverpool probably is not even among the top 10 teams in Europe.
“It doesn’t have a good goalkeeper. It doesn’t have a good defence. It only has one international-class defender – Virgil van Dijk.
“Its full-backs are very limited. Maybe they’re strong, fast; they’re able to do OK in the English Premier League, but none of them signed for Chelsea or Manchester City or Manchester United because they don’t have the level to play for those teams.
“Liverpool’s midfield has players who are also forceful, disciplined, self-sacrificing. They know their profession. They are tradesmen. Footballers like Jordan Henderson and James Milner are footballers that lack creativity.
“There are other British teams with better midfielders. Liverpool doesn’t have a player like [Paul] Pogba, nor [Ilkay] Gundogan, nor [Kevin] De Bruyne nor [David] Silva, nor Dele Alli in the centre of their midfield. Liverpool is missing footballers in this part of the pitch with ingenuity.”

I really hope we batter Real Madrid. I don't even want it to be a close game; I want to completely rout them.

The own goal? Its like a one-in-a-thousand chance it happens, and it did. Tough.

Lovren has been stellar since VVD came along. Their D has looked rock solid.

But people will continue to pile on Lovren because it's the popular thing to do, mostly without even watching the games.
When VVD "kept the tie alive" vs Man City, noone said a word. When he gave the penalty away vs Spurs in the last minute, noone said a word (I'll rephrase that, when he did the swing that gave reason to Lamela to dive) - if that was Lovren, he'd have been crucified.

Lovren makes mistakes, all defenders do. Is he Maldini? No.
But other than the circus showing vs Spurs, he's had a very good season - and honestly, since Klopp came, he's been solid (especially considering the system Liverpool play).
Lovren has been fantastic this season. Every defender makes mistakes, like you said, but Lovren was a scapegoat for a long time. He was never as bad as people made him out to be, and there was always a lot of pressure on him because of the failings around him as well. Sometimes he tried to do too much, or gets a little rash, but ultimately with the addition of vvD and removal of Mignolet you can see that he's actually a very, very good defender. Low key as a pairing Lovren and van Dijk have been among the top in Europe.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
“This final is the easiest final they have in front of them, all of them – [club president] Florentino Perez, the captains. Everyone.”

What is this quote supposed to mean? Do they have any other final in front of them?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
The Spanish football press :laugh:, only in Italy is the football press more tabloid like.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I've read that Can is in the running to play this weekend. That would be a disaster and I only hope that Klopp isn't actually entertaining the idea. I would rather play the 4-2-3-1 we had for the final matchday with Solanke up front and Wijnaldum/Henderson in midfield.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I've read that Can is in the running to play this weekend. That would be a disaster and I only hope that Klopp isn't actually entertaining the idea. I would rather play the 4-2-3-1 we had for the final matchday with Solanke up front and Wijnaldum/Henderson in midfield.
Brighton is not the same as Madrid.

Klopp is going to start in the 433 and see what happens from there. If Can is playing something probably went wrong. Lallana is more likely if they need control back. Probably if they are chasing a game too.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Mane-Firmino-Salah
Milner-Henderson-Wijnaldum
Robertson-Lovren-VVD-Trent
Karius

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Knowing Klopp, very important for him to have a full fitness squad there is no worry for Can to start as he has been absent for a long time. That being said having Can as a substitute would be amazing if they have to defend late in the game. He is liverpool most muscular midfielder and he would add another dimension.

I clearly don't see how that would be terrible.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Can should come in as a sub. Henderson and Wijnaldum don't always have 90 minute fitness, and neither do our front three at times, so he will be needed.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Ugh, I'm so salty.

I'm going to have to watch this on delay. Wife's in-laws are having a birthday lunch. It was supposed to be in Annapolis (where I could find a decent sports bar afterwards) but the brother in law wants to do it in a middle of nowhere place.

Bleh.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Ugh, I'm so salty.

I'm going to have to watch this on delay. Wife's in-laws are having a birthday lunch. It was supposed to be in Annapolis (where I could find a decent sports bar afterwards) but the brother in law wants to do it in a middle of nowhere place.

Bleh.
I have my friend wedding to attend I know that feeling..

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Dd6n5WzW0AA6ZMF.jpg:large

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Casemiro is so underrated. Watching him live it is ridiculous the space he is covering defensively. Tricky one against Liverpool though. He might not be able to handle the press when in possession, but covering the CA he would be very valuable as long as he can stay free from an early yellow.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Casemiro is so underrated. Watching him live it is ridiculous the space he is covering defensively. Tricky one against Liverpool though. He might not be able to handle the press when in possession, but covering the CA he would be very valuable as long as he can stay free from an early yellow.

I definitely agree Casemiro is underrated. He's a massive part of that trio, even if he's not the most important one.
His passing and crossing is underrated, as are his goal instincts. His biggest weakness is that he is weak under pressure and coughs the ball up almost regularly.

In the end, I think the game will depend on whether Liverpool manages to "skip" the midfield. Casemiro, Modric and Kroos have the ability to utterly destroy the Liverpool trio - but if Klopp manages to simply skip it, anything is possible.
Salah is playing on another level this season, if left on an open space he can hurt anyone, even Ramos and Varane (IMO the best CD pairing in the world, and the most mobile one).

I watched him at Roma here and there, but what he's doing this season is amazing. And the whole team is buying into Klopp's system, they're playing as a team, and regardless of what happens in the CL final, they should content for the PL title next year (especially with Keita and possibly another midfielder coming over).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad