Real Madrid - Liverpool: CL Final 26th May

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
BREAKING: (At least) 3 flights which were due to take hundreds of Liverpool fans to the Champions League final in Kiev have been CANCELLED. Details have been posted on the World Choice Sports website: (link: https://worldchoicesport.com/)

Getting from UK or Spain to Kiev was always going to be a nightmare, but it keeps getting worse. The number of cancelled flights may be double that.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
BREAKING: (At least) 3 flights which were due to take hundreds of Liverpool fans to the Champions League final in Kiev have been CANCELLED. Details have been posted on the World Choice Sports website: (link: https://worldchoicesport.com/)

Getting from UK or Spain to Kiev was always going to be a nightmare, but it keeps getting worse. The number of cancelled flights may be double that.
I'm not european but there must be other way of transportation?
Car or train?

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Casemiro is a somewhat underrated player around these parts. He's very well rounded for a DM. He offers a lot on the ball and puts in the work on the defensive end. He gives away possession a bit too much and he commits a lot of fouls, but the refs let him get away with murder sometimes so he gets away with it. I think he's clearly more important to Madrid than a guy like Kroos. I've said it before, but he was an absolute steal for Madrid. If I recall correctly he was rated coming out of Brazil but his stock had fallen a bit. Credit to Madrid for seeing his full potential and pretty much getting that out of him right away.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Casemiro is a somewhat underrated player around these parts. He's very well rounded for a DM. He offers a lot on the ball and puts in the work on the defensive end. He gives away possession a bit too much and he commits a lot of fouls, but the refs let him get away with murder sometimes so he gets away with it. I think he's clearly more important to Madrid than a guy like Kroos. I've said it before, but he was an absolute steal for Madrid. If I recall correctly he was rated coming out of Brazil but his stock had fallen a bit. Credit to Madrid for seeing his full potential and pretty much getting that out of him right away.
I agree actually. Kroos is heavily overrated (IMO, not that he's bad or anything), and Casemiro gets **** on a lot but I think it has more to do with what the ref allows him to get away with than his actual quality. I still think that Madrid is better off playing Kovacic in this situation simply because, as has been said, Casemiro is worse than those other midfielders at handling the ball under pressure (and if there's one thing that Liverpool midfield in combination with Firmino can bring it's pressure on the DM). Still, I think his task as that anchor who protects the back four and puts in the work where the front end of Madrid will not is a big one and he does it really well (again, he definitely does get away with a bit more than most IMO).

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I agree actually. Kroos is heavily overrated (IMO, not that he's bad or anything), and Casemiro gets **** on a lot but I think it has more to do with what the ref allows him to get away with than his actual quality. I still think that Madrid is better off playing Kovacic in this situation simply because, as has been said, Casemiro is worse than those other midfielders at handling the ball under pressure (and if there's one thing that Liverpool midfield in combination with Firmino can bring it's pressure on the DM). Still, I think his task as that anchor who protects the back four and puts in the work where the front end of Madrid will not is a big one and he does it really well (again, he definitely does get away with a bit more than most IMO).

No way I'd start Kovacic over Casemiro. Casemiro is too important on the defensive end. I think he'll be able to handle the pressure and Madrid could also circumvent that with Kroos and Modric. We'll have to see though. The midfield battle is potentially very intriguing, but one on one I think Madrid has the advantage there. Still the good thing for Liverpool is the way they play the one on one aspect isn't as much a factor.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Casemiro won't get away with much on Saturday unless the ref is a completely bent crook. Almost all situations where he will have to commit fouls will be when Liverpool's players have run past him. That's why players are so rarely sent off against Liverpool, not exactly many chances to foul our players.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
No way I'd start Kovacic over Casemiro. Casemiro is too important on the defensive end. I think he'll be able to handle the pressure and Madrid could also circumvent that with Kroos and Modric. We'll have to see though. The midfield battle is potentially very intriguing, but one on one I think Madrid has the advantage there. Still the good thing for Liverpool is the way they play the one on one aspect isn't as much a factor.
Firmino vs Madrid's #6 might decide this game.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Casemiro won't get away with much on Saturday unless the ref is a completely bent crook. Almost all situations where he will have to commit fouls will be when Liverpool's players have run past him. That's why players are so rarely sent off against Liverpool, not exactly many chances to foul our players.

Well there must be a lot of "bent crooks" out there considering what he's got away with thus far.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
A letter that I found on the Net :D
Liverpool Football Club
& Athletic Training Ground
Melwood Training Ground, Deysbrook Lane
West Derby, UK, L12 8SY
Dear Kopites,

A friend of mine has a ticket for the CL Final. Box Seats. Include travel and hotel accommodation. Not realizing when he bought the tickets that this is the same day as his wedding. So he can't go.

If you're interest and want to go instead of him: It's at St James Church in Bootle at 3pm.

Her name is Susan. She'll be the one in the white dress.

Cheers & You'll Never Walk Alone​

Reactions: YNWA14

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'm surprised there has never been an El Clasico CL Final. It was lined up this year. Imagine if Barca got past Roma. The final would be Real Madrid vs Liverpool

Reactions: YNWA14

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Firmino vs Madrid's #6 might decide this game.
I think it definitely could. I think Firmino and Mane will have a bigger impact on this game than Salah will. Mane in particular, though mercurial, I think is primed to have a very big game.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I'm surprised there has never been an El Clasico CL Final. It was lined up this year. Imagine if Barca got past Roma. The final would be Real Madrid vs Liverpool

I get your enthusiasm for Liverpool's season and prospects in the Final. I even told a Madridista co-worker that I fancy Liverpool's chances more so than Atleti's or Juventus' prior. And while I know it would be a difficult tie for us had we faced you, there's little to suggest you'd for sure have gone through much less routed us. So you and quite frankly your lot may want to keep the trash talking to a minimum until you actually win something which even then it doesn't become you.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I think it definitely could. I think Firmino and Mane will have a bigger impact on this game than Salah will. Mane in particular, though mercurial, I think is primed to have a very big game.
I thought about this today...

I was thinking Mané is getting underrated too he usually create as many chances as Salah in a game but his finishing has been abysmal this year. I hope it changes but I do expect Mané to get some scoring chances.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
John Henry:

"Maybe it's because I'm an American, but I have a difficult time understanding why anyone would want to leave Liverpool... The club is so rich in history and tradition, supported by so many millions around the world, in virtually every country of the world."

"'You don't want to be in the position where players want to go somewhere else, even if it is a great club like Barcelona. It's hard to understand why players would want to go to a league where the competition is so weak. They must play 30 or so meaningless matches per year waiting for Champions League matches."

"They'll be watching this weekend and could have been playing."

• Or maybe it's because he's ignorant? Believe it or not, there are actually other clubs out there with a rich history and with rich traditions that are also supported by many millions around the World and in virtually every country in the World.
  • Yet that weak competition is better than the competition that Liverpool face as has been the case for some time. That weak competition keeps winning the Europa League every season. And this is in spite of the fact that the weak competition has much less revenue than it's Premiership counterparts.
  • Suarez has already won a CL along with a lot of other trophies since leaving. Coutinho has already won two trophies since leaving on top of it being a "dream" of his which he just reiterated this week.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah that's a really bizarre quote from Henry. He should stick to the business side of things.

I get your enthusiasm for Liverpool's season and prospects in the Final. I even told a Madridista co-worker that I fancy Liverpool's chances more so than Atleti's or Juventus' prior. And while I know it would be a difficult tie for us had we faced you, there's little to suggest you'd for sure have gone through much less routed us. So you and quite frankly your lot may want to keep the trash talking to a minimum until you actually win something which even then it doesn't become you.
Have 'our lot' really been trash talking though? I thought that post was kind of funny, but it's far from a given that Liverpool would have beat Barcelona as you say.

Roma beating Barcelona was a very unlikely snatch and grab because of the circumstances and the comfort they felt. It almost happened to Liverpool in a similar manner; but it's also why I think people complaining about the calls being the reason that Liverpool went through against Roma to be a bit much. Roma was able to pile pressure on and score late goals against both of these teams because of their comfort level (IMO). Almost like a rope a dope. If Roma had been a better team I actually think that Barcelona would have had a better chance of advancing because there wouldn't have been a reason for them to take their foot off the gas (and even then, they missed plenty of opportunities).

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Have 'our lot' really been trash talking though? I thought that post was kind of funny, but it's far from a given that Liverpool would have beat Barcelona as you say.

Roma beating Barcelona was a very unlikely snatch and grab because of the circumstances and the comfort they felt. It almost happened to Liverpool in a similar manner; but it's also why I think people complaining about the calls being the reason that Liverpool went through against Roma to be a bit much. Roma was able to pile pressure on and score late goals against both of these teams because of their comfort level (IMO). Almost like a rope a dope. If Roma had been a better team I actually think that Barcelona would have had a better chance of advancing because there wouldn't have been a reason for them to take their foot off the gas (and even then, they missed plenty of opportunities).

Did you actually read the post I quoted and that you liked? He clearly stated that if we'd have gone through against Roma the Final would have been "Real Madrid vs Liverpool".

Considering the post I just quoted and the one your made about potentially drawing us, yeah, I'd say so. I've read other posts here even from some I wouldn't expect it from.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Did you actually read the post I quoted and that you liked? He clearly stated that if we'd have gone through against Roma the Final would have been "Real Madrid vs Liverpool".

Considering the post I just quoted and the one your made about potentially drawing us, yeah, I'd say so. I've read other posts here even from some I wouldn't expect it from.
I read it, that's why I said it was kind of funny. I'm pretty sure it was meant to be a little joke.

I'm not sure which one you're referring to about 'your made about potentially drawing us', I think the format of this post is a bit hard to understand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad