Re-Sign One: Kreider/Strome/Fast

Who should we re-sign?

• Total voters

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Lmao. Screw the kids i guess! Lets trade Deangelo, kakko, chytil etc to make sure we keep aging Kreider who only shows up half a year.

it’s scary to think about if some of the posters here were the GM of the rangers.
Going to go on a limb and say that you are getting hot under the collar about a joke.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
My guess is that: (1) players really resent having their lives uprooted and having to live out of a hotel in a strange city for several months after years of good service; and/or (2) once you break through the mental barrier of wearing a different jersey it becomes a lot easier to digest the idea of signing elsewhere.

i don’t believe they live out of hotels. The likely get a lease or the team has a posh condo for incoming players or they are hooked up through their agent. Uprooting is a part of sports. It kinda is what it is.

Reactions: Wicked Backhand

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Lmao. Screw the kids i guess! Lets trade Deangelo, kakko, chytil etc to make sure we keep aging Kreider who only shows up half a year.

it’s scary to think about if some of the posters here were the GM of the rangers.

his worth has to be as high as it’s been on a long while. I anticipate a more mature Kakko making us forget about Kreider. For all the good, this team is nowhere near competing for a Cup.

Unusual Suspect

Aug 22, 2005
Warren County, NJ
I'm a bit ignorant on cap issues but I'd like to keep all three, honestly. Not like we have a lot more talent at forward coming right now besides perhaps Kravtsov. Chytil and Kakko will grow more appropriately on a stable team that can win some games. Would prefer to move Buchnevich and Skjei for starters and see what the dollars saved can do to help. Based on returns so far I'd in fact prefer moving Trouba's big contract to losing Strome and Fast. Increasingly skeptical about moving DeAngelo for cap reasons, but at least there's some confidence we have legit depth not far away at D. Voted Kreider but the other two are both making significant contributions to whatever success the team is having now and likely in the next couple of years and occupy fairly unique roles in the lineup. Everybody can't be in diapers at once.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
I like all three players. I just wish we didn’t make other silly moves otherwise we might be able to keep the three of them although that would have been difficult regardless

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
We need to trade Trouba and/or Skjei before I consider it tenable to hand out another big money contract.

I'm far less interested in losing ADA, Fox, Kakko, Shesty, Chytil, etc than losing one of these three.

Reactions: NYRangers16

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yea lets resgin them all. We'll trade one of Kakko, Shest, DeAngelo, Fox when the times comes because we don't have any money for them all.

:rolleyes:

Trade them all, ESPECIALLY Kreider.
He's a good prospect but the way he's played, planning for Kakko's first big boy contract SIX years from now is extremely foolish.

Reactions: Leetch3 and jas

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
6 Years?? If he blows the doors open over the next 2 years of his contract I hate to break it to you but his first big boy contract will be in 2022.
We don't appear to be headed that way.

And even then, RFA's get hardballed. They have absolutely no power.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Not really.

MacKinnon, Marchand, Zibanejad, and Barkov make less than 25M put together.

You're thinking of McDavid.
Not really good examples of players who blew the doors open on their entry level contracts. Though Mackinnon got 6.3M on a 50 point season.

how about players who scored over 65 points on their entry level contracts? What did they get next

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Not really good examples of players who blew the doors open on their entry level contracts. Though Mackinnon got 6.3M on a 50 point season.

how about players who scored over 65 points on their entry level contracts? What did they get next
Tavares got 5.5 after putting up 54, 67, and 81 points. He's as close to that generational group as you can get without being in it.

And talking about guys blowing the doors open is a massive deflection. Right now, Kakko is barely pacing for 65 points over his entire ELC, let alone 65 per year. There's zero indication Kakko is getting a big contract in two years. That's just wishful thinking about the level of player he is.

The fact that none of those guys "blew the doors open" on their ELC should tell you something.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Tavares got 5.5 after putting up 54, 67, and 81 points. He's as close to that generational group as you can get without being in it.

And talking about guys blowing the doors open is a massive deflection. Right now, Kakko is barely pacing for 65 points over his entire ELC, let alone 65 per year. There's zero indication Kakko is getting a big contract in two years. That's just wishful thinking about the level of player he is.

The fact that none of those guys "blew the doors open" on their ELC should tell you something.
Contracts were much lower 8-9 years ago when JTs contract was up. Again not a good example.

i’m not saying kakko is a lock to blow the doors open but to not even prepare for the possibility of it happening is bad cap management, esp to sign a player who will be declining sooner than later to a long term deal.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Star RFAs get paid.

point is we have to budget ourselves. Tony D is giving the Rangers every reason to resign, Fox looks amazing, Kappo is anticipated to be great, while Trouba and Panerin already make very good money. Add in Zibby, at least one of the goalies and we haven’t even touched on all the other prospects.

time and money go fast. It’s doable if the Rangers stay on course with a rebuild and don’t start writing many contracts today like the rebuild is in full fledge winning mode today. This isn’t even a playoff team despite all the excitement.

BreadKick

Feb 7, 2016
I would go with Strome.
- Panarin does not have chemistry with anybody. He possibly could make 80 pts with anybody, but not 100+. That is a large difference. Columbus had no fit and Panarin had 80+ points... BTW they tried to play with Mika, other guys. No big chemistry found. So, actually we pay Strome's price and get Strome's natural points + ~20 extra points because of Panarin. I think that is a good deal.
- Strome has a fast thinking brain what is a must to play with Panarin. And Panarin is playing with Strome, not carrying him.
- with Strome you can play further with the line as he is versatile - Panarin loves unexpected ways to play and you need to be versatile here.
- Strome's points without Panarin makes no sense, because all the team has different numbers without him. And he plays with Panarin for the next 6+ years...
- Kreider and Fast both are 28. That is too much for the rebuilding team if you are not a superstar. They are both good players, but we have Panarin and these 20+ extra points.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
have I missed any reports about contract negotiations with Kreider? last I remember hearing JG still hadn't talked to his agent but 'there was still plenty of time'...with just over a month before the trade deadline at want point do we start to consider that JG is telling us what he plans to do?

last year we went back and forth all year about the pros & cons of re-signing vs trading both hayes and zuke and JG never made a serious offer to either. he never waivered on his plan and was always going to trade them. is he telling us the same with kreider? he isn't even bothering to lie about it to try to drive up his price either

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I'm terrified that Strome will get too much term and then cool off. Give him like 2-3 years, and if he keeps it up we can pay more $. I don't want to risk getting another anchor contract..

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011
Some people here believe we need to budget $10 million for both Kakko and Kravtsov coming off their ELCs.

Budgeting $10M for Kakko is surely a stretch, but assuming he won't improve by the end of his ELC and earn a decent to large payday at the end of his ELC is equally foolish.

Here's a "random" list of forwards, how many points they scored in their rookie season, how much money they earned after their ELC, and what the estimated "Kakko-equivalent" will be with an $88.2M salary cap for the 2022-2023 season (using the CAGR of the cap over the last 5 seasons).

PlayerRookie PointsContract after ELCSalary Cap @ SigningCurrent Cap EquivalentEst. Kakko Equivalent
Rantanen38$9.3$81.5$9.3$10.0
Ehlers38$6.0$79.5$6.2$6.7
Drouin32$5.5$75.0$5.5$6.5
Konecny28$5.5$81.5$5.5$6.0
Meier6$6.0$81.5$6.0$6.5
Kyle Connor5 ;)$7.1$81.5$7.1$7.7
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
If I were a betting man I'd gamble that Kakko's post ELC contract comes in between $7-8M in 2022.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad