Re-Sign One: Kreider/Strome/Fast

Who should we re-sign?

• Total voters

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
I don’t know how you pay a pending ufa like Fast. He’s a guy you replace internally. You don’t pay ufa money for guys like this. Never ends well. He’s making exactly what he should be making. How much more do you want to give him? He’s 28 makes 1.85 mil. Do you go up to 3 million dollars? For 4 years? I really dislike a move like that. Tons of mileage on him. Can barely practice most days. Yes he’s the hardest worker on the team but still

Yes. Just like Fast replaced Hagelin, or at least helped fill a good chunk of the void that existed when Hagelin was traded rather than re-signed. My only problem is that I don't think I've seen a suitable candidate internally who will replace what a Hagelin or a Fast brings to a team, so I would be understanding if they chose to keep Fast.

Governor

Nov 8, 2019
Kreider assuming Skjei is traded. I do believe Kreider would be the next captain if signed long term.

Fast, while good for what he is; I imagine you can always find guys like that in trades with other teams and the draft.

Strome I think is playing for a new contract and is seeing inflated numbers from Panarin.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Not sure why more handshake deals arent made by management and players to deadline trade them and resign them after. Like I wouldnt mind giving Kreider a deal if he took the trade first, get the assets and to me I'm ok with a little more term or money for him to agree to that. Trade him, sign him 6x6, but any contract would have to atleast have a modified ntc, no full ntc
If Kreider tears an ACL you still givin him 6x6?

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Fast, while good for what he is; I imagine you can always find guys like that in trades with other teams and the draft.

If you could always find guys like Fast, the Rangers would have two Fasts right now. Maybe three.

Reactions: haveandare

Governor

Nov 8, 2019
If you could always find guys like Fast, the Rangers would have two Fasts right now. Maybe three.
Mm. Fair point. I think I had the same opinion of Hagelin once and been wanting a player like him since he was traded.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Not to mention he isn't a player like Kreider where he relies so heavily on athleticism. God forbid we gave Strome a bit too much on term, I don't really worry about an early deterioration with him.

But yeah I agree with this and @I Eat Crow 100000%.
With Strome it wouldn’t even be deterioration, it’d be trending back to the player he’s always been until this year.

Kreider isn’t perfect but you can count on him for what he provides every year.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
With Strome it wouldn’t even be deterioration, it’d be trending back to the player he’s always been until this year.

Kreider isn’t perfect but you can count on him for what he provides every year.
I don't anticipate Strome getting a ton of money though. I could live with him regressing if he is at 5 million a year over 4 years (not that I am advocating for that) vs. Kreider at 7 x 7.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Strome would be 35 points without Panarin

here is the current reality though. With all these guys including the high scoring Panerin, they’re out of the playoffs.

So is this team only 2 or 3 players away from not only making the playoffs but competing for a Stanley Cup?

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I just don't see the need for long term deals with any of them.

Even Fast at 3 years seems kind of like I'd rather offer 2 years.

Strome at 5 years, I think is way too long.

Kreider at 7 years, even 5 or 6 years is again too long.

I'd rather risk trading the player than sign them for any amount of years which turn out to be too many. Call it gun shy from Staal, Shattenkirk, Smith, and even Lundqvist. Rangers would be in a much more flexible position now had they took a year off all those deals.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Get rid of Buchnevich. Sell high on TDA use him in a deal with Smith to dump that clown. Dare I say if Georgiev doesn't get you a return that is acceptable, buyout Hank and Staal. Hope Hank doesn't decide to hang on for a while and it ends that way for him. Plenty of money to sign Kreider and Strome.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I voted for Kreider but after tonight's game winner, his asking price just went up from 7x7 to 8x8!!

I guess Kreider is a goner...dammit...lol

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Whomever is going to sign for a favorable contract.

That could be none, one, or all three of them. If they are all asking for the moon, let them all walk/be traded. $-value is less critical i think, but term becomes more important with guys like Chytil, Fox, Kakko, even Igor, needing big deals in the future, so i'd be hesitant to lock any of Fast, Strome, or Kreider into longer than 4 years.

You will likely get Fast to agree to that. You have some chance of getting Strome to go for that. you have very little shot of getting Kreider to agree to that. But thats what i would offer.

Reactions: haveandare

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Lmao. Screw the kids i guess! Lets trade Deangelo, kakko, chytil etc to make sure we keep aging Kreider who only shows up half a year.

it’s scary to think about if some of the posters here were the GM of the rangers.
I would trust them a hell of a lot more than you lol

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Not sure why more handshake deals arent made by management and players to deadline trade them and resign them after. Like I wouldnt mind giving Kreider a deal if he took the trade first, get the assets and to me I'm ok with a little more term or money for him to agree to that. Trade him, sign him 6x6, but any contract would have to atleast have a modified ntc, no full ntc

My guess is that: (1) players really resent having their lives uprooted and having to live out of a hotel in a strange city for several months after years of good service; and/or (2) once you break through the mental barrier of wearing a different jersey it becomes a lot easier to digest the idea of signing elsewhere.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad