Re-Sign One: Kreider/Strome/Fast

Who should we re-sign?

• Total voters

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I agree.

But we needed some sort of common ground with regards to what we were talking about for contracts, or else it would just devolve into a discussion about what we should try to pay them.

If you shave two years off of both Kreider's and Strome's contracts in that example, I would probably lean towards Strome in place of Fast.

Two things to consider re: Kreider.

1. If by some chance he was willing to come down on either the years, or the term, I think his odds of coming back would go up. At 7x7, I think he's a goner.

2. If he ends up being traded, I wouldn't inherently assume the Rangers hold onto the pick. I think they'd either look to move up if their within range of an impact player in the draft, or they'd package it for a player who is ready to step into their lineup.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Two things to consider re: Kreider.

1. If by some chance he was willing to come down on either the years, or the term, I think his odds of coming back would go up. At 7x7, I think he's a goner.

2. If he ends up being traded, I wouldn't inherently assume the Rangers hold onto the pick. I think they'd either look to move up if their within range of an impact player in the draft, or they'd package it for a player who is ready to step into their lineup.

I'm also a firm believer in sitting down both Kreider and Fast and telling them that if there is a decent deal, they will be traded; but we would like to talk to them each if they hit free agency. So when I think about re-signing them now without a trade, I'm also taking into account that we are missing out on whatever return we could of gotten at the deadline, when we could take the slight risk to maybe have our cake and eat it too.

I mistakenly thought Strome was a UFA after this season, and wanted to do the same with him.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
With the assumption that Fast gets a contract in which the term is 3 years or less I'd choose him. He's shown that he can play up and down the lineup, he's one of the few good defensive forwards we have and I don't think he'd break down during his contract. The downsides of Kreider breaking down on the backend of his next contract and concerns about going long-term on Strome put them behind Fast.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Fast.

He'd be the cheapest of the lot, in both term and $$$, but he's also able to play up and down the line-up.

As much as I dislike Fast used in the Top 6, because he's better used to support a #notgood Bottom 6, he's not exactly a detriment in the Top 6 and he's a good support player in that role.

Strome is my second choice, FWIW. Absolutely no to Kreider.

Reactions: Blue Blooded

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Fast.

He'd be the cheapest of the lot, in both term and $$$, but he's also able to play up and down the line-up.

As much as I dislike Fast used in the Top 6, because he's better used to support a #notgood Bottom 6, he's not exactly a detriment in the Top 6 and he's a good support player in that role.

Strome is my second choice, FWIW. Absolutely no to Kreider.

I guess I don’t have much concern with resigning Fast. Especially compared to the other two, he’s the one that I don’t really see a huge cost or risk associated with.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
The reason I like keeping Fast is IMO they need to keep either him or Kreider to maintain some level of leadership (also work ethic in Fast's case).

I'm not sure I like the optics of trading all three because they've all earned commitments from the team and ditching all three just sends kind of a murky message. Like, "Hey kids, here's your reward for playing above expectations: a one-way ticket out of town".

Re-signing Ryan Strome makes me incredibly nervous although I do like the guy at this point.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Kreider is the only one we can't reasonably replace. I'd like to keep him but of course the salary cap is an issue.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The reason I like keeping Fast is IMO they need to keep either him or Kreider to maintain some level of leadership (also work ethic in Fast's case).

I'm not sure I like the optics of trading all three because they've all earned commitments from the team and ditching all three just sends kind of a murky message. Like, "Hey kids, here's your reward for playing above expectations: a one-way ticket out of town".

Re-signing Ryan Strome makes me incredibly nervous although I do like the guy at this point.

Fast also represents less risk. Aside from costing less and having a shorter contract, what does a drop off really look like?

He’s not a big time scorer. He’s not a guy whose going to lose his physical edge. He’s not a guy who is going to need to reinvent himself if things change. And if starts to fall off, his contract isn’t an albatross or likely to include a movement clause.

Now that doesn’t mean we chase his next contract into the heavens, but I don’t think reward or the risk is as high as the other two.

Reactions: haveandare

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Fast also represents less risk. Aside from costing less and having a shorter contract, what does a drop off really look like?

He’s not a big time scorer. He’s not a guy whose going to lose his physical edge. He’s not a guy who is going to need to reinvent himself if things change. And if starts to fall off, his contract isn’t an albatross or likely to include a movement clause.

Now that doesn’t mean we chase his next contract into the heavens, but I don’t think reward or the risk is as high as the other two.
There are definitely several good reasons to keep Fast.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
NONE - it’s a rebuild.

this rebuild would include ups and downs. IMO, we shouldn’t lose sight the future are the kids. I like Strome more than any but even he should likely be gone unless they get him on the cheap. Fast is expendable and Kreider will get old real fast IMO.

We will NOT stay under the cap and have multiple (if any) runs for the cup with these guys. It will NOT happen.

Trade them all, get more assets and go with kids. By this time next season the rest of old guard will have expiring contracts and we’ll be ready to go for a long while.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luger and DaBadGuy7

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
trade them all then see if anybody re-signs in July. Trading Kreider and Strome makes a lot of sense to me.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
NONE - it’s a rebuild.

this rebuild would include ups and downs. IMO, we shouldn’t lose sight the future are the kids. I like Strome more than any but even he should likely be gone unless they get him on the cheap. Fast is expendable and Kreider will get old real fast IMO.

We will NOT stay under the cap and have multiple (if any) runs for the cup with these guys. It will NOT happen.

Trade them all, get more assets and go with kids. By this time next season the rest of old guard will have expiring contracts and we’ll be ready to go for a long while.
Won’t be ready to go because we’ll have huge holes in the roster. We have no replacement for Kreider and our bottom 6 is garbage as is. Losing fast makes it even worse.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Won’t be ready to go because we’ll have huge holes in the roster. We have no replacement for Kreider and our bottom 6 is garbage as is. Losing fast makes it even worse.

You might be right. IMO however, we are accelerating the perception of this quick rebuild b\c of Panarin and Fox. Flash forward two short years and these kids will still be developing. Tying up dollars in these vets will result in losing up and coming players IMO. The Panarin window should remain open

Last edited:

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Not sure why more handshake deals arent made by management and players to deadline trade them and resign them after. Like I wouldnt mind giving Kreider a deal if he took the trade first, get the assets and to me I'm ok with a little more term or money for him to agree to that. Trade him, sign him 6x6, but any contract would have to atleast have a modified ntc, no full ntc

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
It's this all day. Strome because of his versatility and the fact that his contract shouldn't break he bank
Not to mention he isn't a player like Kreider where he relies so heavily on athleticism. God forbid we gave Strome a bit too much on term, I don't really worry about an early deterioration with him.

But yeah I agree with this and @I Eat Crow 100000%.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I don’t know how you pay a pending ufa like Fast. He’s a guy you replace internally. You don’t pay ufa money for guys like this. Never ends well. He’s making exactly what he should be making. How much more do you want to give him? He’s 28 makes 1.85 mil. Do you go up to 3 million dollars? For 4 years? I really dislike a move like that. Tons of mileage on him. Can barely practice most days. Yes he’s the hardest worker on the team but still

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
In a perfect world I think I'd keep all three.

Kreider: because he's our BOI!! (and a unique hockey player)

Stromer: atm best trade value ever, but he simply solved the problem at C. We have Zibs, him and Chytil. And it works beautifully as of now.
He was a high-flying prospect with major skill. Like his brother it took time? Whatever, he's starting to make me feel, that it's not all Panarin.

Fast (my vote): Bottom-6 beast. And another of our bois. Our main grinder, two-way guy. Re-sign cheap and run with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad