Re-Sign One: Kreider/Strome/Fast

Who should we re-sign?

• Total voters

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Budgeting $10M for Kakko is surely a stretch, but assuming he won't improve by the end of his ELC and earn a decent to large payday at the end of his ELC is equally foolish.

Here's a "random" list of forwards, how many points they scored in their rookie season, how much money they earned after their ELC, and what the estimated "Kakko-equivalent" will be with an $88.2M salary cap for the 2022-2023 season (using the CAGR of the cap over the last 5 seasons).

PlayerRookie PointsContract after ELCSalary Cap @ SigningCurrent Cap EquivalentEst. Kakko Equivalent
Rantanen38$9.3$81.5$9.3$10.0
Ehlers38$6.0$79.5$6.2$6.7
Drouin32$5.5$75.0$5.5$6.5
Konecny28$5.5$81.5$5.5$6.0
Meier6$6.0$81.5$6.0$6.5
Kyle Connor5 ;)$7.1$81.5$7.1$7.7
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
If I were a betting man I'd gamble that Kakko's post ELC contract comes in between $7-8M in 2022.

the rookie year really doesn't tell you much of anything, its where they are at the end of the ELC. rantanen's contract slid so in his draft+4 year when his contract ended he was already a point a game player...

mackinnon had 63/38/52 points and then signed for 7 years $6.3 mil per...barkov had 24/36/59 and then signed for 7 years $5.9 mil per

so really considering that we aren't going to win in the next 2-3 years anyway its actually to our benefit if these kids take a couple years to put it all together and become stars cause that means you can lock them up long term on cheap deals.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Strome is going to be seriously overpaid, hopefully by somebody else. He’s not on the same level as Kreider as an overall player or leader by a long shot.

Reactions: jas

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Strome is going to be seriously overpaid, hopefully by somebody else. He’s not on the same level as Kreider as an overall player or leader by a long shot.
Exactly. I like Strome and that trade was very good BUT he is a classic example of a player that benefits playing with a star player. A lot of his goals have come from Panarin drawing multiple defenders to him and giving Strome a picture perfect pass in front of the net. Now Strome does a lot of good things but that is the truth

Reactions: haveandare

Blueblood2

Nov 14, 2011
Exactly. I like Strome and that trade was very good BUT he is a classic example of a player that benefits playing with a star player. A lot of his goals have come from Panarin drawing multiple defenders to him and giving Strome a picture perfect pass in front of the net. Now Strome does a lot of good things but that is the truth

Strome reminds me of Namestikov on TB but with slightly more ability.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Have you noticed where Strome ranks in primary assists and how many assists he is on pace for?
When he is seperated from Panarin he doesn’t do much
He was doing fine without Panarin last year.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Read on Blue Line Station that the Bruins are salivating over CK. Wouldn’t mind leasing him to them and resigning him over the offseason. Really don’t want to face him on the ice. Careful Igor and Hank!

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I get that Strome benefits from playing with Panarin, but posting a 70 point pace isn’t anything to sneeze at.

Kreider plays his best hockey playing with Zibanejad, arguably a star in his own right, and he’s a better player than Strome by a wide margin, but even he’s not posting a 70 point pace in that role.

We’ve had many guys over the years see their numbers inflated by playing with superior talents, hell we have several former players who have done/are doing so with other teams. So it’s not like the concept should be too surprising. It happens.

But for some reason, there’s always a weird asterisk when Strome is that subject of that benefit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad