• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Rantanen's bigger and has better tools.

I am not sure how this poll is so lopsided lol. This season? Obviously it's Rantanen, but if you compare their two seasons in the NHL so far, I don't understand how Rantanen is so much better.

Marner did have 23 more points than him last season while being younger.

Oh and because Finnish fans love to say how Laine is seven months younger than Matthews, here's a little tidbit: Marner is ~8 months younger than Rantanen.

Career PPG: 0.73 vs 0.81. One player also has never played with a talent like MacKinnon.

Rantanen is not a PPG+ player. Congrats to him on having a really good season but until he can repeat this sort of performance, it's hard to call him a better player.

It's tough to judge players at a very young age. For example, Marner >>> MacKinnon in their first 2 and likely for their first 4 years years. It took MacKinnon 5 years to put it together. Marner is already putting it together.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
I am not sure how this poll is so lopsided lol. This season? Obviously it's Rantanen, but if you compare their two seasons in the NHL so far, I don't understand how Rantanen is so much better.

Oh and because Finnish fans love to say how Laine is seven months younger than Matthews, here's a little tidbit: Marner is ~8 months younger than Rantanen.

Career PPG: 0.73 vs 0.81. One player also has never played with a talent like MacKinnon.

Rantanen is not a PPG+ player. Congrats to him on having a really good season but until he can repeat this sort of performance, it's hard to call him a better player.

It's tough to judge players at a very young age. For example, Marner >>> MacKinnon in their first 2 and likely for their first 4 years years. It took MacKinnon 5 years to put it together. Marner is already putting it together.

While i generally agree that last season it was marner with quite some margin you could argue the same this season but to rantanen...also currently he is a ppg player and has been most of the season and its fine if you want to see him able to sustain that performance for longer.

Do you feel the same for matthews not being a 40 goal scorer untill he repeats tho? If not why?

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Doesn’t Marner create more offense on his own whereas Rantanen somewhat runs off of MacKinnon?

How do you explain Landeskog has 53 points in 67 games playing in the same line? shouldn't he have a lot more or does MacKinnon not apply to him?

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017

Pretty tough to use Colorado’s last year to compare anything though. They had the worst season in mondern history. 48 points, worst goals for + worst goals against, Duchene, Landeskog, and Mackinnon had 41, 33, and 53 points respectively. Rantanen getting 20 goals on that team as a rookie was actually very impressive. And of course he’s a ppg+ player if he finishes a full season at a ppg+. It might be a flash a pan (I don’t think it is personally), but 82 games is long enough that he’ll have proved himself to be that kind of player. Saying he’s not a ppg+ is like saying Matthews isn’t a 40 goals scorer, if you hit the numbers that’s what you are.

For the poll, I’d rather not vote, Marner also has a few ppg+ seasons in him I believe, this one could go either way.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
It certainly does matter. If Im a GM looking to trade for one of these two that is definitely coming into play whether Rantanen can repeat his numbers without MacKinnon. Marner had the edge in that category, guy scores on the fourth line

Why the hell is he playing on the 4th line then LOL.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Well, yes he is. You’re giving too much credit for what Marner might do in the future and not enough credit for what Rantanen is already doing right now.

So is Rantanen, in a big way.

I don’t think Rantanen is miles better. But it’d be hard not to give him the edge right now.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The thing is, even if Marner gets extra TOI and if he gets his PPG to be comparable to Rantanen by playing next to Matthews, I would still take the 6'4 two-way player, so right now I don't see any reason to go with Marner.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Why the hell is he playing on the 4th line then LOL.
He played at most around 10 games on 4th line...people are heavily exaggerating his time there....the majority of the first half was spent with bozak and jvr.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
How do you explain Landeskog has 53 points in 67 games playing in the same line? shouldn't he have a lot more or does MacKinnon not apply to him?
Are you saying 53 points is bad?

Rantanent away from MacKinnon likely doesnt break 50

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Are you saying 53 points is bad?

Rantanent away from MacKinnon likely doesnt break 50

Maybe maybe not...what we do know is that mackinnons 3 seasons before rantanen arrived he had

63p (rookie season)
38p
52p

Then comes rantanen

53p
86p (and counting)
We dont know how rantanen would do away from mackinnon but we have a pretty good pictuee how mac does away from rantanen...and im not even saying its that simple as its all due to rantanen not at all.

I think rantanen would do fine away fron mackinnon but wouldnt put up these numbers. I would be surprised if he would not break 50 tho..guy tore up the ahl big time first time on american ice...shouldnt underrate him like that.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
there's more support for that argument than there is for Mikko not even hitting 50 points without MacKinnon :dunno:
Aah haha i dont know about that. Mikko didnt hit 50 with mackinnon last season so^^ but maybe that strengthens your point hmmm.

Last edited:
Reactions: cgf

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Hard to say.. Marner would have a lot more points if he didn't play on a team with the depth of the Leafs.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Leafs fans and Finns really dislike each other on this forum. Constant back and forth between them.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Lol at this being stated like it's a fact haha. You can argue your side but don't state ridiculous hypotheticals as fact in order to try to prove your point.
I never once stated it as fact

I think you need to google the definition of ‘likely’

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
This poll has proven that marner is not on the same level as rantanen... in the opinion of HFboard. There is not too much else that needs to be said. Leafs fans trying to so deperately to turn the poll is fighting a fruitless battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad