Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Kevin Shattenkirk: (4 years x $6.65M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Anyone gauging shattenkirks worth based on his tiny sample size with a team he was dealt to for 2 months really need to re-evaluate how they evaluate talent.

Reactions: Oneiro

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I'm not sour but I can't say I like the moves that have been made so far.

This years UFA pool sucked and I don't think KS is a top pairing D unless you want to completely throw defence out the window.

I far from alone in that opinion.

I don't think AV and def not Hank want to throw defense completely out the window. There is no denying a good offense is to the betterment of the defense.
If you have the puck you cannot give up a goal. Shatty is right in line what AV is ALL ABOUT. This is the new NHL.

But I still cannot comprehend how Yandle was misused, and I'm hoping this isn't Yandle part deux.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I agree, it was fun watching OV loose yet again, even though it was Pittsburgh.

I can't think of a deadline deal that would have made a difference with the Caps.

20/20 hindsight......one might say it was overkill. They panicked into thinking Pitt or the Rangers would've gotten him and given those teams advantage over the Caps.

They could've stood pat, it may have changed their whole locker room.

They could've naturally thought it was in the bag, once aquiring him.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I don't think AV and def not Hank want to throw defense completely out the window. There is no denying a good offense is to the betterment of the defense.
If you have the puck you cannot give up a goal. Shatty is right in line what AV is ALL ABOUT. This is the new NHL.

But I still cannot comprehend how Yandle was misused, and I'm hoping this isn't Yandle part deux.

That's Gorton's concern as well. Don't worry about that.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
20/20 hindsight......one might say it was overkill. They panicked into thinking Pitt or the Rangers would've gotten him and given those teams advantage over the Caps.

They could've stood pat, it may have changed their whole locker room.

They could've naturally thought it was in the bag, once aquiring him.

I don't know I never thought that team was a Shattenkirk away. That team had it's flaws for sure but major trades that close to the playoffs are iffy. Especially since you're adding a major player to the team dynamic and he wasn't even used that much or properly. It just didn't make that much sense to me. I suppose it may be 20/20.

I am more agreeable with minor years near the end of the season than big ones. I think it's much easier on the team dynamic. That's really important as the team doesn't have the time to coalesce that close to the playoffs. It's just my. 02.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Make no mistake. They got him to win a cup and he stunk up the place ..

You would make an excellent GM, comparable to the dinosaurs running teams into the ground right now. "STUPID RENTAL, I acquired you to win the 'Cup for us!!! Okay boys one more kick at the can maybe next years rental will win us the 'Cup!!!"

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
The burden of proof is on me??

I guess the last two teams he's been on where he got dumped onto the 3rd pairing doesn't bode well with your narrative?

You guess right. No one cares that he was third pairing on the Caps for 2 and a half months after acquiring him at the trade deadline.

The stats say he is a plus defender. You have to explain why the stats are wrong, or you have no argument worth listening to.

The Caps misused him, BFD.

He was not third pairing in St. Louis the majority of the time he was there either.

Let's hear your explanation. "But.... but other people say he's bad! The blundering Caps put him on the third pair!" doesn't count.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
KS helping the PP is one thing I'm fairly confident he'll do.
However, I disagree that the Caps gave up assets only to put him on the 3rd pairing.
Just doesn't add up..

You disagree that what happened, happened.

This is called not living in reality. It's similar to your issue where you deny or ignore the facts that the stats say Shattenkirk is a good defender. Probably the second best we have behind McDonagh.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Shattenkirk is without any doubt our 2nd best D and there are quite a few things he's better than McDonagh at.

Reactions: Oneiro

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Shattenkirk is without any doubt our 2nd best D and there are quite a few things he's better than McDonagh at.

Shatty is going to be significantly better at facilitating the power play. McDonagh was cringe worthy at times on the PP last season.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Anyone gauging shattenkirks worth based on his tiny sample size with a team he was dealt to for 2 months really need to re-evaluate how they evaluate talent.

First of all. You're attempting to make it sound as if I hate the guy a whole lot more than I actually do which is absurd.
Second..How convenient of you to leave out the time he's spent on the 3rd pairing in STL.
But whatever suits your argument :thumbu:

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
First of all. You're attempting to make it sound as if I hate the guy a whole lot more than I actually do which is absurd.
Second..How convenient of you to leave out the time he's spent on the 3rd pairing in STL.

You're conveniently ignoring the competition on St Louis's blue line.

RangerFan10

I mean, Bouwmeester and Pietrangelo have been there almost Shattenkirk's entire tenure. As was Barrett Jackman. And going further back Ian Cole. I think pointing out Shattenkirk spending some time on the third pairing with St Louis is just as much cherry picking for your argument's sake.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I mean, Bouwmeester and Pietrangelo have been there almost Shattenkirk's entire tenure. As was Barrett Jackman. And going further back Ian Cole. I think pointing out Shattenkirk spending some time on the third pairing with St Louis is just as much cherry picking for your argument's sake.

I wasn't cherry picking anything until I started get slammed for having an opinion.
At the same time. I find it laughable that certain people only see things the way they want instead of looking at the whole picture.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
You're conveniently ignoring the competition on St Louis's blue line.

Not at all but if he's such the all star player that you claim, he still didn't manage to unseat anyone.
Instead he got passed over and ultimately replaced.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Why are you guys going to such extremes? Shatty is not going to win the Norris trophy but he may be the 2nd best defensemen we have had in a while. Glass is half full. We did not sign Ray Bourque but we definitely did improve our teams defensemen.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Why are you guys going to such extremes? Shatty is not going to win the Norris trophy but he may be the 2nd best defensemen we have had in a while. Glass is half full. We did not sign Ray Bourque but we definitely did improve our teams defensemen.

I could live with that.

What I don't like is that just because people's opinions vary especially when 2 different generations are talking, if you disagree over something you become the idiot around here.

It's very childish but I guess I should blame myself as well for allowing myself to get sucked into the nonsense.
I guess I'm still passionate about my team.
What could I say lol

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I eyeball the sky for 10 sec before the sun rise and then figured it will be that for the whole day. Weather report be damned.

Edit: what happened to silverfish weather post?

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I eyeball it for 10 sec before the sun rise and then figured it will be that for the whole day. Weather report be damned.

You eyeball it?
As in singular?
Your name Igor?
Interesting! But I admire the effort lol

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I could live with that.

What I don't like is that just because people's opinions vary especially when 2 different generations are talking, if you disagree over something you become the idiot around here.

It's very childish but I guess I should blame myself as well for allowing myself to get sucked into the nonsense.
I guess I'm still passionate about my team.
What could I say lol

People should be able to disagree respectfully. I agree with you in that regard. I'm also not in the show me an alternative stat to prove your point crowd. There have been plenty of times I have laughed at those stats/charts. I do understand your concerns on defense but at the very least he is a little better than the 2016-2017 versions of Girardi/Klein defensively and much better offensively so we should be optimistic about those improvements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad