Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Kevin Shattenkirk: (4 years x $6.65M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Reading this thread I almost forgot that Shattenkirk was the clear cut top free agent this year. If he is so flawed and incapable of playing top minutes then why was he considered the best player on the market? He will fit nicely next to McD. Why is anyone sour about getting this guy on a great deal, especially when he fits a clear cut need and is in his prime?

I'm not sour but I can't say I like the moves that have been made so far.

This years UFA pool sucked and I don't think KS is a top pairing D unless you want to completely throw defence out the window.

I far from alone in that opinion.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Saying Shattenkirk was dumped on the third pairing in Washington is so devoid of context. He wasn't usurping Carlson or Niskanen in their top-4, and the Caps got him so the Rangers or Penguins didn't. They said it was to "put them over the top" but they came out of nowhere at the last minute when it got heated between us and Pitt. They offered the 1st when neither us or Pitt would.

A 20 game sample size in a new system isn't a good baseline to evaluate a players defense either. Anyone saying he's elite defensively is misrepresenting why his shot suppression numbers seem so high. It's because he has the puck more than he doesn't. He's so elite offensively that it easily outweighs any defensive deficiencies that he may have, which are minimal to begin with. He's an average defender, but will work well under this system where he'll always be in motion rather than playing zone.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't think he's that bad but he obviously has issues in his own end.

I'm not sure what other type of answer you're looking for.
I've stated all my concerns very clearly.

STL wanted to keep him for their 3rd pairing. He ended up in the same place in Washington.

Do you have an answer for that?

Because Washington already had their top 4 established? Personally if it were me, he would have played ahead of Carlson. Just because Trots misused him doesn't mean that hes a 3rd pairing D (Yandle and Skjei have both played behind Staal here, does that mean that they're both 3rd pairing level?)

I said it when the move was made, it didn't make any sense for Washington. It as if they made that move strictly to keep him away from Pittsburgh.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I can't say whether 6.65 a year is a bargain or not in year 3 and 4 of this deal. It is now though.

The real reason I love this deal:

The people vehemently against this signing are posters, without exception, who I can't remember agreeing on any single point they make. It's like they either watch a different sport or know absolutely ****-all about hockey. I am not kidding the posters with the single worst opinions are the only ones against this deal. It's amazing to me, which means it's a fantastic signing.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Because Washington already had their top 4 established? Personally if it were me, he would have played ahead of Carlson. Just because Trots misused him doesn't mean that hes a 3rd pairing D (Yandle and Skjei have both played behind Staal here, does that mean that they're both 3rd pairing level?)

I said it when the move was made, it didn't make any sense for Washington. It as if they made that move strictly to keep him away from Pittsburgh.

Washington went for it without any thought whatsoever with how he fit their lineup. It was a terrible trade for them

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Washington went for it without any thought whatsoever with how he fit their lineup. It was a terrible trade for them

For real.

On one hand, I can't fault them for making a move to try and push them over the top but as you said, it wasn't a fit.

**** Pittsburgh, but I'd be lying if I didn't crack a grin when they lost game 7 with OV being the main culprit on both goals against.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI

I disagree.
They got him to push them over the top and on paper that move should've won them a cup.
He was a complete waste of time for them.
That's just the reality of it.

On the NYR note
As currently constructed (I know it's early yet) and now that KS is slotted for the #2 D, are they even remotely as talented as the Caps/Pens after losing Brass & DStep?

JG addressed the offense on the back end while completely trashing down the middle.

Sorry if I don't share the optimism.

I have a general rule in life that has served me very well.
Only bet on a sure thing..

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I disagree.
They got him to push them over the top and on paper that move should've won them a cup.

On the NYR note
As currently constructed (I know it's early yet) and now that KS is slotted for the #2 D, are they even remotely as talented as the Caps/Pens after losing Brass & DStep?

JG addressed the offense on the back end while completely trashing down the middle.

Come on, now. There's three months between now and the start of the season. There's plenty of time.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I can't say whether 6.65 a year is a bargain or not in year 3 and 4 of this deal. It is now though.

The real reason I love this deal:

The people vehemently against this signing are posters, without exception, who I can't remember agreeing on any single point they make. It's like they either watch a different sport or know absolutely ****-all about hockey. I am not kidding the posters with the single worst opinions are the only ones against this deal. It's amazing to me, which means it's a fantastic signing.

At the same time there are two complete fan bases of posters that think you're nutty but you have the inside track right? Lol

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Again, they got him so the Rangers or Penguins didn't. They came out of nowhere at the last minute offering their 1st and Sanford when no one else was offering that much.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
For real.

On one hand, I can't fault them for making a move to try and push them over the top but as you said, it wasn't a fit.

**** Pittsburgh, but I'd be lying if I didn't crack a grin when they lost game 7 with OV being the main culprit on both goals against.

I agree, it was fun watching OV lose yet again, even though it was Pittsburgh.

I can't think of a deadline deal that would have made a difference with the Caps.

Last edited:

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Excuses, excuses lol
Either way I will always root for my team win or lose.
We will see what he brings to the table.
Looking fwd to it.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I disagree.

On the NYR note

That is fair.

Blaming Shattenkirk for not getting the Caps "over the top" is not. Where was OV in game 7? Or Holtby pretty much all series (or even OV?)

Heres the thing: Most deadline moves are complete wastes, especially the big ones. Shattenkirk was completely unnecessary for the Caps, doesn't mean that he was a bad move for the Rangers.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Again, they got him so the Rangers or Penguins didn't. They came out of nowhere at the last minute offering their 1st and Sanford when no one else was offering that much.

Make no mistake. They got him to win a cup and he stunk up the place ..

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
That is fair.

Blaming Shattenkirk for not getting the Caps "over the top" is not. Where was OV in game 7? Or Holtby pretty much all series (or even OV?)

Heres the thing: Most deadline moves are complete wastes, especially the big ones. Shattenkirk was completely unnecessary for the Caps, doesn't mean that he was a bad move for the Rangers.

OK that's fair as well.

Back to my original prediction though, I think he's going to have a decent season offensively but when the games count, he's gonna be a complete no show.

To be continued..

MadHookUp

Jul 24, 2005
I remember laughing out loud when the Caps traded for Shattenkirk. I was so happy because I knew he was doomed to fail. I was concerned that whichever team got Shattenkirk could potentially sign him afterwards.

Why was he doomed to fail? They clearly weren't going to break up their top 4. One of the best parts of his game is playing the left point on the power play. Now hmmmm if there is 1.... just 1 single team that does NOT need help with the left side on the power play, who do you think that might be? If Shatty wasnt going to break the top 4, or replace Ovechkin at his spot on the power play, how on earth could he exceed at any level? I remember telling my father immediately after the trade that this was a dream scenario for the Rangers. He was going to bomb miserably, not resign, and the Capitals gave up assets to make it happen.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I remember laughing out loud when the Caps traded for Shattenkirk. I was so happy because I knew he was doomed to fail. I was concerned that whichever team got Shattenkirk could potentially sign him afterwards.

Why was he doomed to fail? They clearly weren't going to break up their top 4. One of the best parts of his game is playing the left point on the power play. Now hmmmm if there is 1.... just 1 single team that does NOT need help with the left side on the power play, who do you think that might be? If Shatty wasnt going to break the top 4, or replace Ovechkin at his spot on the power play, how on earth could he exceed at any level? I remember telling my father immediately after the trade that this was a dream scenario for the Rangers. He was going to bomb miserably, not resign, and the Capitals gave up assets to make it happen.

KS helping the PP is one thing I'm fairly confident he'll do.
However, I disagree that the Caps gave up assets only to put him on the 3rd pairing.
Just doesn't add up..

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Caps fans loved Shattenkirk at first. It was only after the team flamed out yet again that they all went back and said "oh no he was terrible all along"

MadHookUp

Jul 24, 2005
KS helping the PP is one thing I'm fairly confident he'll do.
However, I disagree that the Caps gave up assets only to put him on the 3rd pairing.
Just doesn't add up..

The caps knew they were going to be in cap hell after this season and that this would likely be the best team they will have for the next several years. While Shattenkirk clearly doesnt make sense to be playing on the third pair and not getting ideal power play usage because he is behind Ovechkin, its still a clear a upgrade. On top of that, Pitt/Rangers/Lightning were all interested, so stopping an eastern conference team from nabbing him is another bonus.

Its not believable that the caps would trade for Shattenkirk and put him on the 3rd pair? Well the Rangers did it with Yandle and they have a far weaker top 4. So yeah... stranger things have happened. Even if Shattenkirk was bumped to the top 4, it doesnt change the fact that he is prevented from doing what he does best... playing the left side on the power play. Like I said... doomed for failure.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
We can spend all ****ing month debating Crosby's antics on the ice. Banging Subban's head onto the ice repeatedly for 20 seconds in the finals, and when Subban pushes him away, they both get called for 2 minutes, is just an example of why people despise Crosby.

He is a great player, but not a clean player

Without a player like that (cough*Messier*cough) the Rangers might very well still be listening to the "1940" chant.

I agree with Chosen--Crosby is an incredible player who I never get tired of watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad