Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Kevin Shattenkirk: (4 years x $6.65M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'm not worried, unlike some others here, about playing Shattenkirk on the top pairing.

Not because I think he is good defensively, but McDonagh was covering 70% of the defensive zone ice when paired with Girardi. I know my fellow eye-test guys were seeing the same thing.

McD can just keep covering, and we get some better offense out of the deal than we did with Girardi. The only big difference will be when Shattenkirk pulls and Yandle and just accidentally lets a guy go through, but that's life.

McD-Shattenkirk offensive zone draw heavy,

Skjei-Smith defensive zone draw heavy,

Bereglazov/DeAngelo/Staal miscellaneous.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Anyone's better defensively than Shattenkirk.
Or is it that he's mysteriously going to turn into a stalwart just because he's on the NYR?
Watch the games!

Girardi is better defensively than Shattenkirk?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
TFW advanced stats needs watch the game more than people who say things like "watch the game, nerd"

You'd think second group would realize this and be more open to the opinions of the first...

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
You don't have a valid concern.

The numbers say Shattenkirk is an above-average defenseman.

Burden on you to prove otherwise. "Watch the games" doesn't move the needle for your argument.

The burden of proof is on me??

I guess the last two teams he's been on where he got dumped onto the 3rd pairing doesn't bode well with your narrative?

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
You do have a valid concern. My opinion is that Shatty is not as bad defensively as some folks say but not as good defensively as some stat/chart guys keep pushing as well. He is a strong offensive defensemen who is generally average defensively but he does have the occasional defensive hiccup that people will take notice of for sure. Overall he is a good player and a net positive but I do not expect him to be Rod Langway on defense. The expectation is that his offense is above average and that will help our team more than the occasional defensive hiccup will hurt our team. I'm glad we signed him because even if we are wrong I like our team trying to get better than just playing things safe and going nowhere.

Both fair posts IMO
Yeah, I mean, I totally see the argument that Shatty is not some great defender in the traditional sense. He’s not an overly physical guy, isn’t the best with separating the man from the puck, and he’s not the best at playing the perfect angle in an odd man rush.

Fine, all of that is largely true.

But he’s so good with passing. He’s so good with driving where the play goes. He’s so good at the offensive side of the game that I simply really don’t care if he’s mediocre defensively. It won’t come into play for the most part (at least it shouldn’t if AV plays him properly).

He’s a perfect fit for this team. We badly need someone to help drive possession from the back-end.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I guess the last two teams he's been on where he got dumped onto the 3rd pairing doesn't bode well with your narrative?

Yeah I don't think you can really hold the Blues having Pietrangelo and Parayko against him.

FYI, the Blues tried to sign him, he didn't want to stay there.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I love all the opinions of posters that attempt to win an argument/debate by selective reading.
Pick and choose what will sway the debate in your favor but won't address any other part of what was originally stated.
It's either that or you'll go on some stupid website to steal someone elses hero chart and use it as an end all be all.
As much as some would love to make this about Girardi because it's too easy to just answer with...Yeah but Girardi this, Girardi that, it simply allows you to dance around the real topic at hand.
It's just really childish I might add.

That said..Back to Shattenkirk

There's no denying his offensive abilities but all this talk as if just because you have an offensive game that defence is no longer apart of the game. I'm reading things like yeah, but McD will just cover for him.
So it's now McD's job to babysit KS now? He's supposed to completely abandoned his own game and tend to KS. I see..

KS..Got dumped onto the 3rd pairing on STL and the Caps.
That's two different coaching staffs along with two different fan bases that are flat out telling you the guys a train wreck defensively which you choose to completely ignore.
I know...Those hero charts!!
He was supposed to put the Caps over the top! How did that work out?

Here's a guess as to how I think his season's going to go IMO.

He's all but guaranteed to start on the top pairing and I expect him to have a decent season but come down the stretch and playoff time when wins really start to count he's going to **** the ****ing bed.
This is all if he doesn't get demoted mid-season.

Now you have a post to be snarky about kids :razz:

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Yeah I don't think you can really hold the Blues having Pietrangelo and Parayko against him.

FYI, the Blues tried to sign him, he didn't want to stay there.

Would you want to stay there if you got demoted and embarrassed?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Would you want to stay there if you got demoted and embarrassed?

Embarrassed? He got put behind 2 excellent players.

If hes as bad as you say he is, why did the Blues (who are the ones who bumped him back) try to keep him?

I don't expect an answer here because you haven't given one in this thread previously when asked.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York

We're paying Girardi a lot of money to be some other teams problem...

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
Reading this thread I almost forgot that Shattenkirk was the clear cut top free agent this year. If he is so flawed and incapable of playing top minutes then why was he considered the best player on the market? He will fit nicely next to McD. Why is anyone sour about getting this guy on a great deal, especially when he fits a clear cut need and is in his prime?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Fancy stats users provide evidence, but apparently that is not good enough for some users, who spurn it while providing nothing to further the conversation other than "I watched the game, not a chart."

NYR, just stop. You're not winning this argument. You really haven't provided anything useful to back your opinion up.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Embarrassed? He got put behind 2 excellent players.

If hes as bad as you say he is, why did the Blues (who are the ones who bumped him back) try to keep him?

I don't expect an answer here because you haven't given one in this thread previously when asked.

I don't think he's that bad but he obviously has issues in his own end.

I'm not sure what other type of answer you're looking for.
I've stated all my concerns very clearly.

STL wanted to keep him for their 3rd pairing. He ended up in the same place in Washington.

Do you have an answer for that?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Also, the basis of your argument is that two teams demoted him because he ***** the bed and is horrendous defensively.

There is no proof that this was the case. Absolutely 0 proof. Meanwhile, there is piles of evidence that shows that Shattenkirk is just fine defensively, at worst. Maybe he just got "demoted" due to the roster/coach wanted to spread the talent?

Thank you for playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad