Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Kevin Shattenkirk: (4 years x $6.65M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
He's perfectly fine in that role.

He's less fine in that role when his partner is Marc Staal.

Holden isn't even bad. Top 4 D is pushing it but he's definitely a 5 at least

Staal being flaming garbage on skates really doesn't help Holden's cause, in addition to him being prone to some realy dumb mistakes

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Staal being flaming garbage on skates really doesn't help Holden's cause, in addition to him being prone to some realy dumb mistakes

If Holden is not moved he probably will have the best chance of being a regular, but I think it is more likely that he'll be moved before the season starts or early in the season.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Exactly. For 1.65m Holden is a great asset for our 3rd pairing. He was just paired to Staal. Even Karlsson, Burns or Subban would look horrible being paired to him.

Holden also had 30+ points. Which is something often overlooked

thigpen

Jun 6, 2011
SF Bay Area
Apologies if I'm repeating anything other Blues fans have already stated (didn't see anything thru the 1st 21 pages) about Shatty.

There's really only 2 reasons the Blues didn't try to re-sign Shatty. 1. He was soon to be the 3RD in the lineup, after Petro and Parayko, and you don't pay your your #6-7 D man Shatty money (even if he is your best PPQB). 2. It was clear for many years that he wanted to play for the Rangers and so wouldn't have given the Blues a discount to re-sign.

Shatty was well-liked by fans and teammates, alike. He's a great locker room guy and is super with younger players (really helped Tarasenko acclimate to STL). He's also a leader and always mans up to the mic with the media with mature interviews. He won't sugar coat a loss but also won't mope about it.

Shatty wasn't used as top-pairing 5v5 but was top pairing in situations requiring immediate offense. He absolutely is gifted on the PP and otherwise inside the O zone. He's also pretty darn good at moving the puck out of the D zone, always with the head up. He simply creates offense. He's also a pretty good shootout guy.

Everyone knows he rarely plays on the PK but he doesn't need to. Yes, he makes some occasional D zone blunders and is not very good along the boards but if he's playing with McD he'll be fine.

NYR should definitely feel good about the contract he's signed to. Shatty deserves all the credit in the world for taking that kind of discount to play at home. I have immense respect for that and will miss the guy in STL. Good luck to Shatty and the Rangers, and strip Holden of #22, that's Shatty's number!

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Apologies if I'm repeating anything other Blues fans have already stated (didn't see anything thru the 1st 21 pages) about Shatty.

There's really only 2 reasons the Blues didn't try to re-sign Shatty. 1. He was soon to be the 3RD in the lineup, after Petro and Parayko, and you don't pay your your #6-7 D man Shatty money (even if he is your best PPQB). 2. It was clear for many years that he wanted to play for the Rangers and so wouldn't have given the Blues a discount to re-sign.

Shatty was well-liked by fans and teammates, alike. He's a great locker room guy and is super with younger players (really helped Tarasenko acclimate to STL). He's also a leader and always mans up to the mic with the media with mature interviews. He won't sugar coat a loss but also won't mope about it.

Shatty wasn't used as top-pairing 5v5 but was top pairing in situations requiring immediate offense. He absolutely is gifted on the PP and otherwise inside the O zone. He's also pretty darn good at moving the puck out of the D zone, always with the head up. He simply creates offense. He's also a pretty good shootout guy.

Everyone knows he rarely plays on the PK but he doesn't need to. Yes, he makes some occasional D zone blunders and is not very good along the boards but if he's playing with McD he'll be fine.

NYR should definitely feel good about the contract he's signed to. Shatty deserves all the credit in the world for taking that kind of discount to play at home. I have immense respect for that and will miss the guy in STL. Good luck to Shatty and the Rangers, and strip Holden of #22, that's Shatty's number!

The Blues tried to re-sign Shattenkirk but he wanted more responsibility. They offered him the maximum contract allowed. Eight years. He was looking for something else.

Although trading Kevin Shattenkirk seemed inevitable at some point, Blues general manager Doug Armstrong detailed a timeline Tuesday in which the team was prepared to offer the defenseman a maximum eight-year contract last summer.

Shattenkirk, a prolific shooter in his career, took a pass.

But while it might seem like the reason would be the Blues’ inability to match the money the unrestricted free agent could make on the open market, the answer Armstrong got was a different one.

“His response at that time was he felt he needed a different challenge,†Armstrong said. “With (Colton) Parayko and (Alex) Pietrangelo, I think he was hoping to get more responsibility in different areas. He felt that signing an extension at that time with this organization wasn’t something that he was prepared to do. Players want to be playing in all situations. When we were up by a goal, our coaches felt there were better options to close games out. He’s a competitor, he says, ‘I can close this game out.’ That’s what makes these guys great athletes and that’s what makes coaching hard.

“(But) he was nothing but professional. There was not going to be a long-term extension here with the group of players we had here. I respected his honesty.â€

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hock...cle_55b972d4-8036-5ad0-a1dc-c8a959f4febe.html

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Thanks Thigpen......always good to get an honest analysis from someone who would know, (seeing a player play on a daily basis).

I think we all have a pretty good idea, but you just never know how this will play out. There have been many to have fallen flat on their faces.

Shatty actually could possibly be "even better" as anyone would give that extra 10% to the team they have supported all their lives.

I think the Rangers would be happy with him just being Shatty and NOT trying to do too much.......could backfire.

Last edited:

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

Hah! What would you know about Shattenkirk, you only watched him play for 5+ years. Darren Dreger said he's bad defensively, so I'm sticking with that!

But seriously, thank you so much for this post. Maybe some of the numbskulls around here will realize that Shattenkirk is a damn good all around defenseman.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Thanks a bunch for your post. Always nice to hear from a guys former fanbase. I'm excited to have him on our team. He was a lifelong Rangers/Leetch fan. I hope he can help our PP for sure. Unlike in St. Louis he will be our best RHD.

thigpen

Jun 6, 2011
SF Bay Area
Thanks a bunch for your post. Always nice to hear from a guys former fanbase. I'm excited to have him on our team. He was a lifelong Rangers/Leetch fan. I hope he can help our PP for sure. Unlike in St. Louis he will be our best RHD.

You bet, and I should clarify my remark "6/7th D man". Shatty wasn't 6/7th on the depth chart, but would've been pushed to that spot in the 5v5 lineup, eventually, with the presumed development of Schmaltz. He was easily the 3-4th best Blues D man, in the more subjective category of "all-around", and obviously the Blues #1 PP D man and points producer.

His hard to measure intangibles notwithstanding Shatty's influence on the Blues PP was quantifiable. I think someone else already showed the stats but the Blues' PP% dropped precipitously after #22 left. Sure, the Blues then went on a tair-ific winning steak but one has to wonder whether the Nashville series would've turned had the Blues scored more PP goals.

Not bad. The Rangers got Shatty without surrendering any assets and the Blues take revenge on Caps for stealing Oshie by taking their 1st and a promising prospect for Shatty. Stars aligning for both fan bases.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Sooooooooooooooo...we're reaching 1000 comments.

Player Discussion thread time?

Also, congrats to KS for his engagement!

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
Sorry folks you missed out on this:

bfd331cb-15b0-43db-86dd-2d1b8b59e72e_800.png

capitals-photo-day-03-27-cara-bahniuk-8.jpg

Gone are the lovable curls, say hello to a streamlined dome

0KhuObV.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events