Rangers Season Ticket Holders: Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
From what I gathered from my rep which he stated openly for the most part, MSG is focused on trying to get more people in the building and are more so focused on splitting certain seats in the arena into multiple packages. Nothing new of course, but I'm surprised he was so open about it. I'd keep your seats if I were you!
That is what they claim, but it is bull****. They want to sell the tickets at higher prices. Has nothing to do with getting more fans into MSG for games.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
That is what they claim, but it is bull****. They want to sell the tickets at higher prices. Has nothing to do with getting more fans into MSG for games.

I agree. But at the same time compare the additional revenue they generate from a season subscriber who attends most of the games, vs. selling those same seats to 40 different buyers. The season subscriber isn't going to buy merchandise or go nuts on concessions every night. The family who goes to one game certainly might.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I agree. But at the same time compare the additional revenue they generate from a season subscriber who attends most of the games, vs. selling those same seats to 40 different buyers. The season subscriber isn't going to buy merchandise or go nuts on concessions every night. The family who goes to one game certainly might.
There's a lot of truth to this. I've used "dynamic pricing" to sell my extra tickets for over 10 years and people will jump at the chance to get good seats for 1-2 games and go all out to have a great time. I have 3-4 customers who religiously buy 1 game a year from me.

Section311

Sponsor
Dec 21, 2008
long Island, NY

So funny you said this...just had a customer come into my place last night and she had a ranger shirt on. I said I didn’t know you were a ranger fan she’s like I’m not I went to a game this year so I had to buy a shirt when I was there.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
Yup it’s a combination of both. I’m sure the Knicks have data on single ticket buyers vs season ticket holders and what they spend on concessions, merchandise etc. Most of the time when teams offer 10 or 15% discounts on concessions and merchandise they can use that to see whether it’s single game buyers or season ticket members that buy that stuff. It also makes logical sense too, and having more people generally go to games is also increasing the fan base which means more viewers on tv (which equals a ton more cash to MSG networks) and more merchandise sales etc.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Yup it’s a combination of both. I’m sure the Knicks have data on single ticket buyers vs season ticket holders and what they spend on concessions, merchandise etc. Most of the time when teams offer 10 or 15% discounts on concessions and merchandise they can use that to see whether it’s single game buyers or season ticket members that buy that stuff. It also makes logical sense too, and having more people generally go to games is also increasing the fan base which means more viewers on tv (which equals a ton more cash to MSG networks) and more merchandise sales etc.
This argument is very true, but it's not without risk. If the actual product suffers similar to what the Knicks are going through, you will regret losing the security that season subscribers offer versus those just going to a handful of games a season. There is always going to be a desire to have that financial security with season tickets, especially if the Rangers are going to be pretty crappy for a few seasons.

Reactions: Mkdaman1818

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
This argument is very true, but it's not without risk. If the actual product suffers similar to what the Knicks are going through, you will regret losing the security that season subscribers offer versus those just going to a handful of games a season. There is always going to be a desire to have that financial security with season tickets, especially if the Rangers are going to be pretty crappy for a few seasons.

Absolutely. If your team stinks you'd rather at least sell the tickets. But the reality is NYC is somewhat less dependent on the quality of the product on the ice/court due to its status as one of the biggest tourist destinations in the world. Sure, you get more interest when the teams are good...but even when they aren't there are still a lot of people in town who want to check out an event at MSG.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Absolutely. If your team stinks you'd rather at least sell the tickets. But the reality is NYC is somewhat less dependent on the quality of the product on the ice/court due to its status as one of the biggest tourist destinations in the world. Sure, you get more interest when the teams are good...but even when they aren't there are still a lot of people in town who want to check out an event at MSG.
Absolutely, the Knicks and Rangers both have that safety net being in MSG, but apparently they are desperate to sell Knicks fulls and halfs right now, and I assure you it's not because hockey is more popular than basketball in the city. If the Rangers don't make the playoffs for 2-3 seasons in a row, you will absolutely see a slight change in policy at the very least, especially at the current prices.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Absolutely, the Knicks and Rangers both have that safety net being in MSG, but apparently they are desperate to sell Knicks fulls and halfs right now, and I assure you it's not because hockey is more popular than basketball in the city. If the Rangers don't make the playoffs for 2-3 seasons in a row, you will absolutely see a slight change in policy at the very least, especially at the current prices.

Agreed, it's all cyclical.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Some will, but most won't. Besides, I believe the merchandise revenue is shared with all 31 teams. As far as food, not sure the family buys anymore than a regular attendee on average. The 20-something who goes once a year? Yeah, they are likely dropping $100+ on alcohol alone.

Also, if it was really about getting more people in, why not make full-seasons, minis, and individual game tickets all the same price? Part of the reason I still have my full seasons is because of how much I save off individual prices.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Apparently relocation is happening soon (not sure of the date maybe someone else knows), so we should get some answers moving forward. Looking forward to hearing about how the inventory is looking this season.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Lol

I'm guessing it will be more of the same, just with more fulls in non-desired sections available.

Yeah, last summer I was thinking maybe this is the year they finally make some inventory available, although in my heart I knew they could very well screw us. So I re-upped my pair in 217 and got killed this season. Full me once...anyway, was not going to get abused again so I dropped my pair rather than hold out hope I could move over a few sections. Next year will be even worse, so be warned.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Yeah, last summer I was thinking maybe this is the year they finally make some inventory available, although in my heart I knew they could very well screw us. So I re-upped my pair in 217 and got killed this season. Full me once...anyway, was not going to get abused again so I dropped my pair rather than hold out hope I could move over a few sections. Next year will be even worse, so be warned.
That sucks man, I'm sorry. What makes you think it might be worse though? And did you have a full or half?

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
That sucks man, I'm sorry. What makes you think it might be worse though? And did you have a full or half?

I had two sets of fulls. A pair and three. I kept the three a few sections over on the aisle...great seats. Actually the pair in 217 were really good too, except that they were better for sitting in then selling as most people think the best seats are at center ice. Prices while no higher than last year are still pricey. And the expectations for the team were high last season and demand was at a low. Next year expectations will be low, and interest will be even less for a team that is actively in rebuild mode. Sure, you'll do ok on the premium dates, but I expect it to be a bloodbath for all but the best value seats.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I had two sets of fulls. A pair and three. I kept the three a few sections over on the aisle...great seats. Actually the pair in 217 were really good too, except that they were better for sitting in then selling as most people think the best seats are at center ice. Prices while no higher than last year are still pricey. And the expectations for the team were high last season and demand was at a low. Next year expectations will be low, and interest will be even less for a team that is actively in rebuild mode. Sure, you'll do ok on the premium dates, but I expect it to be a bloodbath for all but the best value seats.
Oh, I was referring to inventory in terms of being better or worse. I absolutely agree with you that re-sell will be an absolute byyyytch this season if they don't preform well (which we all expect).

Thankfully, I am only looking for a single ticket full, so I like to think/hope my chances are okay.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Oh, I was referring to inventory in terms of being better or worse. I absolutely agree with you that re-sell will be an absolute byyyytch this season if they don't preform well (which we all expect).

Thankfully, I am only looking for a single ticket full, so I like to think/hope my chances are okay.

I think inventory will be the same...which is to say, garbage. They have published their intentions to reduce inventory for season subscribers and they have been true to that policy. But for a single you should be ok. There's likely to be an orphan seat somewhere with your name on it. lol

Reactions: RangerSeth

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I think inventory will be the same...which is to say, garbage. They have published their intentions to reduce inventory for season subscribers and they have been true to that policy. But for a single you should be ok. There's likely to be an orphan seat somewhere with your name on it. lol
Lmao! Orphan seat made me almost spit out my water.

Hopefully when relocation comes, some members in here can give us the low down as to what inventory is looking like.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Lmao! Orphan seat made me almost spit out my water.

Hopefully when relocation comes, some members in here can give us the low down as to what inventory is looking like.

They will. But as someone who has gone through it many times I'll give you a preview. A bunch of Row 1 Gallery seats upstairs and a decent number of options in the lower bowl. Besides that some scattered inventory in the last 10 rows towards the corners/ends.

Reactions: superyan

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
Some will, but most won't. Besides, I believe the merchandise revenue is shared with all 31 teams. As far as food, not sure the family buys anymore than a regular attendee on average. The 20-something who goes once a year? Yeah, they are likely dropping $100+ on alcohol alone.

I believe the revenue sharing is only a partial truth. While the teams each get a split of the pooled manufacturer profit for licensed NHL merchandise (say, the difference between the wholesale price and the cost of manufacturing), the teams get to keep the retail markup (between the wholesale price and the retail price), so it is very important to MSG that they sell stuff in the MSG Stores instead of Modells.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
They will. But as someone who has gone through it many times I'll give you a preview. A bunch of Row 1 Gallery seats upstairs and a decent number of options in the lower bowl. Besides that some scattered inventory in the last 10 rows towards the corners/ends.

I got a very early relocation "time" last year. There were no full season uppers (200's) to be had, except the Row 1 seats.

I believe there were some seats on the Bridges and the Lounges, but only on the 7th avenue end. And of course there were lower bowl seats, but not as many as you'd think.

Should be interesting this year...

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I got a very early relocation "time" last year. There were no full season uppers (200's) to be had, except the Row 1 seats.

I believe there were some seats on the Bridges and the Lounges, but only on the 7th avenue end. And of course there were lower bowl seats, but not as many as you'd think.

Would expect more of the same, just a bit more inventory in row ones and lower bowl, as opposed to more things being open in desirable 200 sections.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

There were fulls available in the upper bowl when I was up...but nothing within the first 10 rows.

If by interesting you mean crappy, then yes, it should be interesting.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Apparently relocation is happening soon (not sure of the date maybe someone else knows), so we should get some answers moving forward. Looking forward to hearing about how the inventory is looking this season.

Yeah, last summer I was thinking maybe this is the year they finally make some inventory available

Lol

I'm guessing it will be more of the same, just with more fulls in non-desired sections available.

It's going to be more of the same, much much more of the same. The Knicks relo round only confirmed that. They are in complete full season destruction mode. There was nothing available with any sort of value anywhere, only first row gallery seats. If you switched to the half plan view, there was tons of inventory in all sections except 400's, with markups up to 80% over the full season price.

Full season ticket holders are no longer wanted by MSG in affordable locations. They want you in partial plans only at a heavy markup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad