Confirmed with Link: Rangers Re-Sign Mika Zibanejad (5 years x $5.35M AAV)

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
You all thought Stepan was overpaid at 6.5 with what Johanssen is getting now. For the Rangers to get a Center like Stepan its going to cost them more then the 6.5 he was making. I think Stepan is very comparable to Johannsen. Stepan Career PPG is .69 where as Johannsen is .66. We can't afford to get a number 1 center, We have prob a number 2 center in Zib, and 2 number 3 Centers in Hayes and Miller. Center will be an issue for the Rangers this season.

hopefully Zibs develops into a better player that Stepan

Unfortunately Stepan was declining and turned out to be a major choker when it mattered most

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

Unfortunately Stepan was declining and turned out to be a major choker when it mattered most

Yup, Derek Stepan always known as a big time choker!

Perfect example of him being a choker.

What about that time he had his jaw broken in the ECF and he came back and scored 2 goals in the next game. Choke job! He really choked when he was second on the team in scoring on our run to the cup finals. Even worse when he was 3rd in the run to the ECF the next year! All while taking the toughest matchups. What a choker!

Stepan was the 1C for the 3 deepest runs this team has had since winning the Cup. He was on PK1, PP1 and all the toughest matchups. Having to play against Crosby head to head multiple times (and winning) and also making Backstrom and Giroux pretty ineffective against us. He was our best forward in the SCF run and the ECF run right after it. He has 1 bad playoff out of his career here and now he turned out to be a major choker? Seriously get out of here with this slander.

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
I expect buy out talks within 2 years. DJ Zbad cares more about having a good time than staying healthy and in game shape. Now that he has an extra few million dollars to play with - let the good times roll!

Sorry Rangers fans. The Senators traded this guy for a reason. It was a contract year for him and he got his contract. That was the best Mika you will ever see.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

I have honestly never seen such revisionist history as we have with Stepan

Before he was ever traded people were rewriting history with this "never scores big goals" BS

Amazing.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I expect buy out talks within 2 years. DJ Zbad cares more about having a good time than staying healthy and in game shape. Now that he has an extra few million dollars to play with - let the good times roll!

Sorry Rangers fans. The Senators traded this guy for a reason. It was a contract year for him and he got his contract. That was the best Mika you will ever see.

ts6JK.gif

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

We made the contract 5 years which is long term but gives us solid flexibility for a 24 year old player. If things do not go as planned that contract is flexible enough that we could always trade him. No reason for a buy out. Our plan is that Zibs will earn every dime and we can look back and be happy with that deal.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
And since Stepan was brought up, Stepan at 6.5 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Johansen at 8

Stepan is objectively the superior player.

MisterUnspoken

Vintage
Nov 10, 2002
New York
And since Stepan was brought up, Stepan at 6.5 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Johansen at 8

Stepan is objectively the superior player.

Agreed. Stepan got a lot of flak but he is a very solid but unspectacular player. I'd call him a lunch pail type of player. He gets the job done and his only major flaw is his speed. He is without a doubt the best center this team has developed in eons.

The Coyotes are a better team with him than they were at seasons end. He'll have a 55-65 point season there no problem.

Kaapodonna

What me worry?
Dec 8, 2007
New Jersey
Agreed. Stepan got a lot of flak but he is a very solid but unspectacular player. I'd call him a lunch pail type of player. He gets the job done and his only major flaw is his speed. He is without a doubt the best center this team has developed in eons.

The Coyotes are a better team with him than they were at seasons end. He'll have a 55-65 point season there no problem.

And his face off ability.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
And his face off ability.

He took the harder faceoffs for us. 1500'ish last year? He wasn't the best but I think people over reacted to his faceoff stats. 47% over 100 compared to somebody at what, 50-52% over 100?

I don't think it hindered us as much as some made it out to be.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He took the harder faceoffs for us. 1500'ish last year? He wasn't the best but I think people over reacted to his faceoff stats. 47% over 100 compared to somebody at what, 50-52% over 100?

I don't think it hindered us as much as some made it out to be.

I do not care that much about 85% of the faceoffs in a game but the other 15% can be in some pivotal situations and can even be critical in some late game situations.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Stepan wasn't moved because he was declining or because he was overpaid.

He was moved to create salary cap flexibility, which the Rangers decided to use on different needs/areas.

While I don't know if he'll set career highs in Arizona (65 points might be a bit much), I don't think it's unreasonable to see him maintain his product from the last several years for at least a couple of seasons more.

He's a sold, if unspectacular center and should be a very good player for the 'Yotes.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
IMO, if he didn't have a NTC kicking in a week later he doesn't get traded. But it did and so he did.

It is interesting how pro sports contracts can work for you and against you. A guy can take a team friendly deal and then get traded because he has a easy to move contract. On the other hand a guy can be way overpaid and get to stay with the team because nobody else wants his contract. In your example Stepan got traded because he had a clause preventing him from being traded about to kick in.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

He was moved to create salary cap flexibility, which the Rangers decided to use on different needs/areas.

While I don't know if he'll set career highs in Arizona (65 points might be a bit much), I don't think it's unreasonable to see him maintain his product from the last several years for at least a couple of seasons more.

He's a sold, if unspectacular center and should be a very good player for the 'Yotes.

id be pretty surprised if he puts up the points he usually does playing with that roster.

I guess we'll finally see if my hypothesis that he's been carried by Zucc/Kreider these past few years is correct.

I wouldnt be at all surprised to see his production drop 10 points...like what happened to Brassgod..then again, they arent playing Bouchers system AFAIK

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
It is interesting how pro sports contracts can work for you and against you. A guy can take a team friendly deal and then get traded because he has a easy to move contract. On the other hand a guy can be way overpaid and get to stay with the team because nobody else wants his contract. In your example Stepan got traded because he had a clause preventing him from being traded about to kick in.
I think the NTC was the impetus but ultimately there must have been a belief that Stepan wasn't gong to live up to that contract over the next 4 years. If the rangers felt he was getting locked into a deal with McD like value for 4 years maybe the Rangers trade Zib instead in order to sign Shatty. We can only speculate though I think we were signing Shatty no matter what and to clear the cap space it's easier to trade the slow guy before his 6.5X4 deal is locked in place.

Edit: I also think the buyout of G might have made the decision to unload another NTC for free more of a priority.

I wouldnt be at all surprised to see his production drop 10 points...like what happened to Brassgod..then again, they arent playing Bouchers system AFAIK
Brass had the last laugh the way I look at it.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I think the NTC was the impetus but ultimately there must have been a belief that Stepan wasn't gong to live up to that contract over the next 4 years. If the rangers felt he was getting locked into a deal with McD like value for 4 years maybe the Rangers trade Zib instead in order to sign Shatty. We can only speculate though I think we were signing Shatty no matter what and to clear the cap space it's easier to trade the slow guy before his 6.5X4 deal is locked in place.

I suspect your feelings were aligned with management on your points.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

Brass had the last laugh the way I look at it.
Brassard had absolutely nothing to do with them advancing to the ECF...imho the reason it happened was 100% AVs fault...absolutely abysmal roster deployment

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Brassard had absolutely nothing to do with them advancing to the ECF...imho the reason it happened was 100% AVs fault...absolutely abysmal roster deployment
That may be true but it's irrelevant. Luis Sojo has the same 5 rings that Derek Jeter has.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
That may be true but it's irrelevant. Luis Sojo has the same 5 rings that Derek Jeter has.

its 100% relevant when your argument of "Brassard got the last laugh" was made.

Brassard didn't laugh at all..he stunk in that series. He was absolutely atrocious tbh. Zibanejad was the Rangers best forward that series. Brassard didn't laugh..he was dragged to the next round.

My argument was Brassards production dropped away form the Rangers...and that I wouldnt be surprised if Stepans did as well.

Your argument was..>Brassard got the last laugh.

Luis Sojo argument is...perplexing.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

That's a pretty terrible reason to trade the only 1C the NYR have developed in my lifetime and was signed to a fair deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad