Confirmed with Link: Rangers Re-Sign Mika Zibanejad (5 years x $5.35M AAV)

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
In an ideal scenario for the Rangers, Z is a clear number one center and LA eventually slides in on the second unit.

So in the last year or so, the Rangers essentially swapped their present (Brassard-Stepan) for what they hope is their future (Zibanejad-Andersson).

#rebuiltonafly

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Is 25, maybe even 30, goals a reasonable expectation from this guy? Seemed viable until he broke his leg.

possible. if he's going to be a 30 goal scorer in this league, his PP production needs to go up. he has 55 goals over the last 3 seasons and only 10 have been on the PP and just 2 PPG last year on this team.

he has the shot and one time ability but it hasn't translated yet.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Zib first two years of the contract is without NMC - so if he stunk he is probably gone before the NMC ticks in.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
how can anyone say the trade sucked. all everyone says on this board is we are not contenders and need to start thinking about the future. drafted a legit NHLer at center with 7OA who could be a #1 and got a positional need at RHD with serious upside.

Stepan was overpaid at 6.5 and about to have a ntc kick in.

he was our best center overall, but hes nothing special and time for Zibanejad/Hayes/Miller to fill that void which is not crazy big or anything.

Yes how can anyone have an opinion, with your supporting argument of a bunch of your opinions.

I'm not going to derail this thread with Stepan talk, but I thought the return was underwhelming - I'll leave it at that.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Is 25, maybe even 30, goals a reasonable expectation from this guy? Seemed viable until he broke his leg.

His shot is good enough to put up 30, not sure if the other areas of his game get him to that level consistently.

But 25 is certainly not unrealistic.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
It'll be interesting to see if Stepan's numbers decline as sharply as Brassard's did.

He's 5v5 performance left a lot to be desired. Zibs will need to be more engaged at even strength.

Overall I'm expecting the D to score more and the centers to struggle scoring goals.

IMO Miller will be down the middle and take on a shutdown role by January so Hayes can go back to getting softer minutes.

Rangers still have enough depth upfront to get a mismatch. Although a single injury can change that.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
C-grats to Z-bee! Probably a Team Sweden player right now in his career. BIIIG player!!!

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
how can anyone say the trade sucked. all everyone says on this board is we are not contenders and need to start thinking about the future. drafted a legit NHLer at center with 7OA who could be a #1 and got a positional need at RHD with serious upside.

Stepan was overpaid at 6.5 and about to have a ntc kick in.

he was our best center overall, but hes nothing special and time for Zibanejad/Hayes/Miller to fill that void which is not crazy big or anything.

If you believe this team was a contender.
If you believe that Stepan wasn't overpaid.
If you believe that Stepan wasn't declining.
If you don't care about Stepan's trade-protection because you'd rather have him on the team.

Then it's likely that you're not a huge fan of the trade.

My opinions.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
If you believe this team was a contender.
If you believe that Stepan wasn't overpaid.
If you believe that Stepan wasn't declining.
If you don't care about Stepan's trade-protection because you'd rather have him on the team.

Then it's likely that you're not a huge fan of the trade.

My opinions.

but without trading stepan you cant get Shattenkirk.

to me Shattenkirk + Pavelec + DeAngel0 + Andersson > Stepan + Raanta

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I agree. If someone presents that as a trade option, I can't say I turn it down.

I usually hate this type of trade evaluation (e.g. the Rangers got a 3rd round pick in Nash's trade, not Buchnevich), or looking at a trade value in isolation of surrounding circumstance (e.g. sf's point about a NYR being a contender that traded away its 27-yo 1C).

In this case, however, ability to sign Shattenkirk should be a part of equation.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I usually hate this type of trade evaluation (e.g. the Rangers got a 3rd round pick in Nash's trade, not Buchnevich), or looking at a trade value in isolation of surrounding circumstance (e.g. sf's point about a NYR being a contender that traded away its 27-yo 1C).

In this case, however, ability to sign Shattenkirk should be a part of equation.

I'm with you in the sense that it depends on the factors - including time, the type of deals, etc.

I mean it's a gutsy move and the Rangers assume most of the risk. Andersson and DeAngelo, though both very talented, are still unproven. Stepan, strengths and weaknesses, is a known commodity.

The real challenge in all of this are the Staal/Girardi contracts. There's just no getting around how badly they hurt.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Zibanejad needs to not worry about picking corners with his one timers on the PP. He's not Ovechkin, he just needs to get it on net. Some he'll blow past the goalie and others will be saves but he shoots it hard enough that it's tough for a goalie to make a clean save, which creates rebounds and other scoring chances.

Always trying to pick the top corner off a one timer is going to result in a lot of misses that rim around and out

e: of course maybe he isn't trying to do that at all but man sometimes it feels like guys are just trying to hit this perfect shot when all you need at times is just the simple thing

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
No report on movement restrictions? Y1 cannot have any, but 2-5 can right?

It's risky for the players to take them when they don't start right away. I am not at all sure Step is traded without them...

I think quite possibly, we all got fooled by that many years ago. One would naturally think a NMC and an NTC , was all PRO for the player.

When in reality, this is PRO for the team when the word "limited" is used before it.
Then it automatically gives said team an "out"......get ready to pack your bags.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Zibanejad needs to not worry about picking corners with his one timers on the PP. He's not Ovechkin, he just needs to get it on net. Some he'll blow past the goalie and others will be saves but he shoots it hard enough that it's tough for a goalie to make a clean save, which creates rebounds and other scoring chances.

Always trying to pick the top corner off a one timer is going to result in a lot of misses that rim around and out

e: of course maybe he isn't trying to do that at all but man sometimes it feels like guys are just trying to hit this perfect shot when all you need at times is just the simple thing

I think when players see a player like Ovie and see what he does, it is only natural for them to believe they can do it as well. They can, just not as often.

IMO, that "slam dunk" and "perfect shot" are the 2 main culprits as to why our PP has been a black hole for many years, simply not enough shots......oh yeah, and being atrocious at getting in the zone and setting up. Simplify, simplify.
If I am running the PP, I strongly "demand" that (each and every player given PP time,) they simply need to put the puck on the net and "force" the goaltender to make that initial save, then an all out effort to collect the rebound.

A rebound causes the defense to scramble and sometimes a goaltender out of position just one pass later, bam!......there's your PPG.

Don't players know they get an assist if their shot is saved and we put in the rebound?

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Now it's Staal buyout watch.

yeah right, too much dead money for too long - it's not going to happen and it better not happen. Gorts needs to engineer another Gomez package

imagine if the rangers gave ryan mcdonagh 7 years instead of 4 or 5 or wahtever he got. we wouldnt have to back the brinks truck to his house in a year.

a year? nooo, don't give people a heart attack lol. He's signed for another two seasons

Is 20-21 the next probable lockout year? If so, smart move to get a chunk of the money as a signing bonus.

And surprising too since Mika's brother is a noob, but then again not too surprising since Persians are generally good business people / negotiators

Hockeyplayer99

Jul 31, 2005
Tbh, give me Zibanejad at 5.35 over Johanssen at 8 any day of the week.

You all thought Stepan was overpaid at 6.5 with what Johanssen is getting now. For the Rangers to get a Center like Stepan its going to cost them more then the 6.5 he was making. I think Stepan is very comparable to Johannsen. Stepan Career PPG is .69 where as Johannsen is .66. We can't afford to get a number 1 center, We have prob a number 2 center in Zib, and 2 number 3 Centers in Hayes and Miller. Center will be an issue for the Rangers this season.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You all thought Stepan was overpaid at 6.5 with what Johanssen is getting now. For the Rangers to get a Center like Stepan its going to cost them more then the 6.5 he was making. I think Stepan is very comparable to Johannsen. Stepan Career PPG is .69 where as Johannsen is .66. We can't afford to get a number 1 center, We have prob a number 2 center in Zib, and 2 number 3 Centers in Hayes and Miller. Center will be an issue for the Rangers this season.

Defense won't

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad