Confirmed with Link: Rangers Re-Sign Mika Zibanejad (5 years x $5.35M AAV)

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
That's a pretty terrible reason to trade the only 1C the NYR have developed in my lifetime and was signed to a fair deal.

yeah, could not disagree more with it having nothing to do with his play or contract.

DeAngelo could become a 1D and I'll still ***** that the premise behind the Stepan trade was awful, way moreso than the return.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
its 100% relevant when your argument of "Brassard got the last laugh" was made.

Brassard didn't laugh at all..he stunk in that series. He was absolutely atrocious tbh. Zibanejad was the Rangers best forward that series. Brassard didn't laugh..he was dragged to the next round.

My argument was Brassards production dropped away form the Rangers...and that I wouldnt be surprised if Stepans did as well.

Your argument was..>Brassard got the last laugh.

Luis Sojo argument is...perplexing.
At the end of the day, winning is what matters. The Sens beat the Rangers. Whether or not Brass played well or like poop doesn't matter at all.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
At the end of the day, winning is what matters. The Sens beat the Rangers. Whether or not Brass played well or like poop doesn't matter at all.

And what did Brassard win? The right to lose in the next round and be forgotten, like basically the franchise's whole existence?

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
This does not look like someone having the last laugh to me

170526-Chris-Kunitz_1920x1080_954087491889.jpg

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
That doesn't get you very far when you don't win the whole thing :sarcasm:

Doesn't stop my family from chirping when the islanders beat the rangers. I'm pretty sure Brass was especially stoked after the Sens beat the Rangers and probably wasn't thinking about it after losing game 7 in 2OT to the pens. But if he keeps in touch with anyone from the rangers do you think he needled them about it?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
IMO, if he didn't have a NTC kicking in a week later he doesn't get traded. But it did and so he did.

Def. a huge factor.

That's a pretty terrible reason to trade the only 1C the NYR have developed in my lifetime and was signed to a fair deal.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you (though I think the entirety of the moves they made were an improvement). Merely pointing out that I don't agree with the belief that he was declining or overpaid.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Not necessarily disagreeing with you (though I think the entirety of the moves they made were an improvement). Merely pointing out that I don't agree with the belief that he was declining or overpaid.

I don't either. But something about his contract and play style definitely spooked the front office. They had other options to clear cap but chose Stepan.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Brass had a rough regular season but he was back to being big game Brass in the playoffs before he hurt his arm/shoulder. Brass is a great guy. We can like Zibs without having to beat up on Brass.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don't either. But something about his contract and play style definitely spooked the front office. They had other options to clear cap but chose Stepan.

If I were going to venture a guess, and this only a guess, I'd theorize that the Rangers thought he had already reached his peak and felt there was only way for his foot speed and production to go. Factoring in a NMC, they probably swallowed hard and assumed that if they were going to make a move, it was either now or never.

The truth is that the Girardi and Staal contracts were disastrous and have impacted A LOT of decisions over the last few years.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
And what did Brassard win? The right to lose in the next round and be forgotten, like basically the franchise's whole existence?

They got further than us and were a bounce away from the Cup.

It doesn't mean they won the trade, but they beat us and got further than us.. damn near got to the cup.

They won the playoff round and the first round of the trade. Doesn't mean it was a bad move.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
If I were going to venture a guess, and this only a guess, I'd theorize that the Rangers thought he had already reached his peak and felt there was only way for his foot speed and production to go. Factoring in a NMC, they probably swallowed hard and assumed that if they were going to make a move, it was either now or never.

The truth is that the Girardi and Staal contracts were disastrous and have impacted A LOT of decisions over the last few years.

This is the sole issue... Those two contracts were $11.2M in cap space, or 15% of the cap... That's an insane amount of cap space wasted on two #6 defenseman... Even if we bought out both of them right now, the cap charges would still account for over 6% of the $75M cap... again, that's only a net positive of 9% in cap space, and it gets smaller as the years go on, and then there's the actual dead cap space factor in the later years of those buyouts.

Those contracts have screwed this team, and that's really on Sather for making such a poor decision to resign both of them when neither of them had won anything. When you look back, they were both no-brainer decisions...

Keeping Stralman over Girardi
Keeping Yandle over Staal

Obviously there is more to it, but the gist of it is that A) If the Rangers had properly evaluated the Defense after the 2014 playoffs, Stralman would be here instead of Girardi (who was already trending down), and B) If the Rangers had waited till the end of the 2015 season to decide about Staal's future here, Yandle would be a more-than-adequate replacement with one year left on his deal, and they could afford to let Staal walk.

Those two mis-decisions screwed this team over. I would even wager that it cost us a cup in 2015.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
It was the NTCs, not so much the size of the contracts. I'm hoping that the buyout of Girardi and the trade of Stepan is a signal that the FO isn't going to keep giving out NTCs like candy.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It was the NTCs, not so much the size of the contracts. I'm hoping that the buyout of Girardi and the trade of Stepan is a signal that the FO isn't going to keep giving out NTCs like candy.

Didn't we just include one in Z's contract?

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Any unsigned player in demand is going to get a NTC/NMC in today's NHL. You're not competitive unless you offer one, unless you are in an income tax free state like Florida. Owners will try to change the rules on this in the next CBA

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Didn't we just include one in Z's contract?

OK but at least his is the only 5 year contract with an NTC. Baby steps.

Any unsigned player in demand is going to get a NTC/NMC in today's NHL. You're not competitive unless you offer one, unless you are in an income tax free state like Florida. Owners will try to change the rules on this in the next CBA

I don't think this is on the list of things the NHL should challenge the players on.

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
They got further than us and were a bounce away from the Cup.

It doesn't mean they won the trade, but they beat us and got further than us.. damn near got to the cup.

They won the playoff round and the first round of the trade. Doesn't mean it was a bad move.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they used up their magical seeing eye bounces in about 3 wins against us. Rangers win that series 49 out of 50 times.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Mika Zibanejad’s mental game as important as his play for Rangers

I want to be aggressive, I want to be a physical player, then that happens during a play like that, you start a little bit second-guessing yourself in situations when you come to a corner and you don’t really have control of yourself. That’s another part of the mental aspect, where you kind of backed up a little bit and slowed it down.”

To help him get his mental game back on track, Zibanejad spent some time this summer working with a person he called “a shrink guy.” He knows he can’t let the bad times snowball, and he wants to talk about it right away when they happen —
even having a conversation with good pal Mats Zuccarello on Monday to begin a more open line of communication.

“When things go bad, that’s when you bring it up. And that’s maybe too late at that point,” Zibanejad said of his previous struggles. “I know what the problem is, but for me, it’s just a mindset and having a little bit of discussion with the people close to me. Even talked a little bit to Zucc today, and I think it’s just — not a confidence thing — but if something doesn’t go my way right away that I just keep sticking to it.”
https://nypost.com/2017/09/11/mika-zibanejads-mental-game-as-important-as-his-play-for-rangers/

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Kreider's shrink guy worked out great for the first part of the season but then he shrunk himself and returned to being a mental midget

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad