Series Talk: WCQF: Winnipeg Jets Vs. Colorado Avalanche (COL lead 3-1)

What's your prediction for the series result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I have no confidence in that whatsoever.

Georgiev is out goaltending Helle at the moment.

Will be interesting to see how game 3 plays out. Literally nothing will surprise me after how the first 2 games and reg season have gone.

Jets need Hellebuyck to actually show up.
I bet Aves in this one based on Hellebuyck factor. ( and Nate ha!) Dont care how much the talking heads try to sell it......CH has yet to prove to be a big game play off goalie.

Last edited:

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Jets are in deep shit if Georgiev can even remotely hold up, which makes it hilarious seeing how so many people were overreacting to the regular season series between these 2 teams. Colorado has looked much better at 5-on-5, and now the series shifts back to Denver where Colorado has been the best home team in the league.

Not trying to be an antagonist. But you start off by saying people make too much of the regular season then end by emphasizing the Avs were the best home team during the regular season.

Agreed that the playoffs are different. That home record isn’t an assurance it will continue in the playoffs.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
In all honesty - I don't get why so few people seem to believe in Colorado this year.

To me - they are definitely favorites above Winnipeg. I'd arguably have them #1 favorites in West. Yes - their goalie situation can be concerning, but they've won before with an average goalie too.

I think Colorado will win in 5 or 6 games max.

The real challenge would be round 2 vs Vegas most likely.
Vegas will make short work of any team they face, don’t kid yourself. That team is repeating as Stanley Cup Champions. 🤮

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
1714133503561.gif

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
One thing I’ve noticed about this series (unrelated to what’s happening on the ice), is that how reasonable the scheduling is, nationally, for a western conference matchup. Maybe it’s all to do with Ball Arena conflicts with the Nuggets. But to have only one late night weeknight game through 4 has been a pleasant change. Dumping every western conference game into the 10-10:30 eastern time slot is terrible marketing.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
About time the talking heads start talking about Hellebuycks play off game.
He has been average to junk his last six post season starts. Going 1-5 with a 4.50 gaa. In his one win he gave up a half dozen.
I also remember the Jets out playing the Knights in 2018 seminfinals. But Hellebuyck couldn't give them a save while Fluery stood on his head at the other end. Eliminating the Jets.
This is exactly how I remember and experienced the Vegas series in 2018. Fleury was in "god mode" but Hellebuyck also couldn't give the Jets a save when they needed one and thus, despite outplaying Vegas, the series was lost.

I also agree that it's about time the "experts" started noticing this troubling trend. It seems to me that most in the Jets forum refuse to ascribe any fault to Hellebuyck whatsoever. True, the Jets defence needs to be better, but that doesn't mean Helle doesn't own a share of his .870 sv% and 5.04 GAA.

It's definitely surprising to see, but I imagine it's just a small sample anomaly that hasn't had a chance to work itself out yet instead of Helle having any issue with the postseason. If he wants to wait another 5 games before the correction, that'd be cool with me though.

Hard to say if it's "small sample size" or not. Last year's playoffs he was .886 sv% and 3.44 GAA. The Montreal series in 2021 he was .908 and 3.03 GAA although his numbers were great against Edmonton to that balances out those numbers.

Excluding the 2017/18 run his record is 9-16 in the playoffs. His numbers have consistently been significantly worse in playoffs. So evidence is starting to pile up that he's not good in the playoffs.

Unpredictable series. Those who thought Helly not going play any worse after letting in 6 in game 1 were wrong
Not going to make any predictions or make any bets
Just try to watch the games and accept that the better team will win the series

Usually Hellebuyck roars back with a great game after a poor one, but these playoff sub-.900 performances are starting to add up. He sure didn't bounce back in game 2. We'll see what game 3 brings.

Reactions: Mad Dog Tannen

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
The Avs made Vasey look like a damn fool in the cup finals less than two years ago. They have experience getting pucks past elite goaltenders.

The only real question in this series, IMO, is if Georgiev can maintain league average play. If he does, I think the Avs take this. Winnipeg can't keep up with the Avs speed and that was in their barn, in Colorado when MacKinnon/Makar are matched up against Monahan... look out.

The Middtlestadt line with Toews/Manson will be matched up with WPGs goal scorers.

But lets be real here, whoever wins this series is just going to get smoked by Vegas' 100 million dollar team.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
I have no idea what to expect in tonites game. I’m of the mind set nothing will surprise me - which will probably end up resulting in another surprising game. Lol.

And where is the game day thread at - do your job AVs board!

Last edited:
Reactions: Deno and Avsfan1921

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I have no idea what to expect in tonites game. I’m of the mind set nothing will surprise me - which will probably end up resulting in another surprising game. Lol.

And where is the game day thread at - do your job AVs board!

Listen, we make our GDTs at the earliest about 30 minutes before puck drop. It’s our thing.

Deno

Nov 9, 2022
About time the talking heads start talking about Hellebuycks play off game.
He has been average to junk his last six post season starts. Going 1-5 with a 4.50 gaa. In his one win he gave up a half dozen.
I also remember the Jets out playing the Knights in 2018 seminfinals. But Hellebuyck couldn't give them a save while Fluery stood on his head at the other end. Eliminating the Jets.
Agree. It is time for Helle to show up in the POs. If the Jets go down in 5 or 6 games with Helle having a below .900 SV% he will start to be known as the Vezina Trophy winning goalie that can't cut it when it counts in the POs.
If Helle does not show up in game 3 the series is over.

Deno

Nov 9, 2022
Not trying to be an antagonist. But you start off by saying people make too much of the regular season then end by emphasizing the Avs were the best home team during the regular season.

Agreed that the playoffs are different. That home record isn’t an assurance it will continue in the playoffs.
Good post.
If the Avs had the best home record in the reg season then it should be noted that the Jets were one of the few teams that beat the Avs twice on their home ice.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Winnipeg has to believe they can do it, period! This is huge part to recipe to getting it done during NHL playoffs. Just as Leafs have that mental block messing them up yearly. Jets have same kind of mojo, but they're not Leafs bad though. Still, until they get it done when it matters: Jets won't take next step but chance to doing just that starts tonight. Since Lightning seem to be pretty much done, I'm hopping on most Playoff underdogs now. Go Jets !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad