Confirmed with Link: Rangers Hire Peter Laviolette as Head Coach, Assistants Michael Peca & Dan Muse

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
@EdJovanovski right now

Xpi3VUEg.gif

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Can you show me one player on Columbus or Philly who we would consider high end talent, that tort actually got the most out of?
If you say Panarin, his first year here he was on pace for 120pts while being plus defensively, compared to 88 a year for tort
What high end players has phili had while he is there? Hard to make a yugo run like a Cadillac.

Seem to have forgotten about how well that whole group played before the ufa off-season, it wasn't just panarin.

What other top end talent has he had to work with when in Columbus after those players wanted to go to other markets? If you say Laine I will laugh bc other than a shot he is a complete malcontent ovi wannabe.

We can play this game, but torts typically gets more out of his teams/rosters than most other coaches. He failed in Vancouver and he admitted he never should have taken the job bc his heart was still in NYC at the time. GMS usually hire him when they have fubared the roster and culture to the point that they need a culture builder and someone that can make their roster/team look better than the shit assembled.

He isn't perfect, but this whole slamming torts bc he can't win with good players thing is so stupid. A lot of coach get a lot less done with a whole lot more talent...

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
What high end players has phili had while he is there? Hard to make a yugo run like a Cadillac.

Seem to have forgotten about how well that whole group played before the ufa off-season, it wasn't just panarin.

What other top end talent has he had to work with when in Columbus after those players wanted to go to other markets? If you say Laine I will laugh bc other than a shot he is a complete malcontent ovi wannabe.

We can play this game, but torts typically gets more out of his teams/rosters than most other coaches. He failed in Vancouver and he admitted he never should have taken the job bc his heart was still in NYC at the time. GMS usually hire him when they have fubared the roster and culture to the point that they need a culture builder and someone that can make their roster/team look better than the shit assembled.

He isn't perfect, but this whole slamming torts bc he can't win with good players thing is so stupid. A lot of coach get a lot less done with a whole lot more talent...
So your argument is he’s different and can get the most out of talent, but we don’t know because he’s never actually had talent?

I’m not saying torts can win with good players, that was never what I said. I said torts excels at maximizing the talent of 3-4th line guys, and can’t maximize the talent of his top line.
Torts got to the playoffs and knocked off the bolts. That was a solid win.

But the game has changed, and I don’t see he’s changed.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
So your argument is he’s different and can get the most out of talent, but we don’t know because he’s never actually had talent?

I’m not saying torts can win with good players, that was never what I said. I said torts excels at maximizing the talent of 3-4th line guys, and can’t maximize the talent of his top line.
Torts got to the playoffs and knocked off the bolts. That was a solid win.

But the game has changed, and I don’t see he’s changed.
No, please don't twist my words. YOU said he is unable to get anything out of top end talent, I said it's bs to make that leap when he hasn't had any at his disposal. That was it. Then you went on about panarin in Columbus.

Players have actively spoken against the narratives about torts. It's a lazy critique at this point. The guys that hate him are players that bounce around and usually have questions following them. Not entirely a torts issue, very possibly a player issue...

Leaving this here for anyone pining for the Tortorella days.

Kevin Hayes is the epitome of a pros pro that has never dogged it, never had his resolve question, and has numerous teams pining for a guy of his caliber and quality.

The fact he was given away for a 6th proves that teams really valued him and his agent is just sharing how difficult the meany coach made his life.

Yes this comment is dripping in sarcasm...

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
And like fellow assistant Michael Peca, Muse being around young, highly skilled players the last few years should help with the Rangers’ crew of young talent, from accomplished players like Adam Fox to Alexis Lafrenière, who might benefit from a closer relationship to the assistant coaches than he had under the previous staff.

“He really helped my all-around game and even off the ice too,” said Will Smith, a center who could go as high as No. 4 on Wednesday. “If I ever needed to talk about anything he was there. He’s awesome as a coach and awesome as a person, so it’s pretty cool seeing him get that job with the Rangers.”

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Very complimentary article about Dan Muse today in The Atlantic. Vally says he is confident there isn't a coach in the NHL that will outwork him.

Ryan Leonard said showed him what real hockey is. What it takes to become a professional athlete. How to make a living at it. He was awesome. Cant say enough good things about him.

Oliver Moore said, he taught me a lot about my game, where I can fit into a lineuo. He gave me a lot of confidence and just trusted me. He was a strong voice in our room, we all listened to him and soaked up all the information he gave us. For me personally it was the hockey IQ aspect that he helped me with most.

Will Smith who may be drafted #4 said, He really helped my all around game and even off the ice too. If I ever needed to talk about anything he was there. He is awesome as a coach and awesome as a petson, so its pretty cool seeing him with the Rangers.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
If he's successful in getting all lines to crash the net, get the puck on net and clean up rebounds, it will open up a lot of east-west lanes...

Reactions: egelband

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
The more I think about it the more I like this coaching staff particularly the assistants. I'm very excited about this upcoming year. People are down on the team because of the first round loss but I think they are going to have a very good season. Existing talent that should be motivated, FA signings, new coaching staff, continued growth from young players.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017

He also did a spectacular job turning Dan Boyle into a star defenseman, getting Lecavalier to perform consistently, and making Brad Richards a star playmaker. But that was Tampa and pre lockout.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
And it includes the young players. I am loving this so far. Imagine Othmann getting pointers from Laviolette and makes the team 🔥

Do they have the roster to do it? Panarin and the lazy passive soft euros better be ready

Lazy passive soft Euros is still a thing to some people?

I'm increasingly optimistic about this staff. I give Drury a lot of crapola but he's done a potentially really good job putting this staff together.

Now, when game one rolls around and we don't see Laf or Kakko touch the ice for PP1 and they're relegated to 3rd line again... then we know we're in trouble. But until then...

If Laf and Kakko are on PP1, who leaves?

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

Laviolette is going to make a Norris winning defenseman better. Sure he will.

He also did a spectacular job turning Dan Boyle into a star defenseman, getting Lecavalier to perform consistently, and making Brad Richards a star playmaker. But that was Tampa and pre lockout.

Yeah, and Quinn made Zibanejad into a much better forward, right?

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Lazy passive soft Euros is still a thing to some people?

If Laf and Kakko are on PP1, who leaves?

Panarin soft, Landeskog, Barbashev, Hedman, Malkin are not soft but are Euros although Malkin is dirty at times, at least he fights when called upon. The way Panarin avoids contact he should try figure skating where no contact happens.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Panarin soft, Landeskog, Barbashev, Hedman, Malkin are not soft but are Euros although Malkin is dirty at times, at least he fights when called upon. The way Panarin avoids contact he should try figure skating where no contact happens.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Patrick Kane is the most clutch post season player in the last I don't know how many years. He has a highlight reel of goals where a single one of them would be career defining for most players.

How many big hits has he thrown? How many fights has he gotten into?

I get that he's not a Euro, but hes the exact same style of player. If Panarin had Kane's playoff track record, no one would care about these things.

The excuse making for the player is beyond nauseating, where we've gone from blaming his line mates to the coaches to literally fanfic'ing injuries but criticism of stuff like this is just as bad. There is room for skill (especially high skill) in every system that has ever existed. It's a god damn requirement if you want to win.

Panarin's problem here has been that he's sucked in the playoffs at doing the things hes supposed to be good at (see, doing positive things with his skill), not that he isn't knocking someone into the 12th row or punching people in the face. Those things wouldn't help him be more productive when the chips are down.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

A constant leading strength scorer.

You probably prefer Ryan Reaves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad