Confirmed with Link: Rangers Hire Peter Laviolette as Head Coach, Assistants Michael Peca & Dan Muse

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Lazy passive soft Euros is still a thing to some people?

If Laf and Kakko are on PP1, who leaves?
Trocheck doesn't ever need to see PP time. Trouba doesn't ever need to see PP time.

Laf can take Trocheck's spot on PP1 permanently. Kakko can take Trouba's spot on PP2 permanently.

Jones can QB PP2.

Chytil can center PP2.

Reactions: mas0764

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Trocheck doesn't ever need to see PP time. Trouba doesn't ever need to see PP time.

Laf can take Trocheck's spot on PP1 permanently. Kakko can take Trouba's spot on PP2 permanently.

Jones can QB PP2.

Chytil can center PP2.

There's an interesting divide here. Some say Laf sucks. Others want him on PP1.

Reactions: leetch99

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I understand wanting to get Laf PP time but Trocheck is pretty ideal in the spot he's in. Great on faceoffs which matter a lot on special teams and that spot rarely gets touches anyway. When he does get a touch he is in an ideal position to get a chance as a RHS in the bumper. Lafreniere will not only barely get touches but his handedness will hinder his ability to get shots off. Idk it doesn't feel like really putting him in a position to succeed

Where Laf would do best I think is in the Panarin spot on the right wall but there's noooo way that's happening

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
I understand wanting to get Laf PP time but Trocheck is pretty ideal in the spot he's in. Great on faceoffs which matter a lot on special teams and that spot rarely gets touches anyway. When he does get a touch he is in an ideal position to get a chance as a RHS in the bumper. Lafreniere will not only barely get touches but his handedness will hinder his ability to get shots off. Idk it doesn't feel like really putting him in a position to succeed

Where Laf would do best I think is in the Panarin spot on the right wall but there's noooo way that's happening
30 year old Trocheck is not important enough to the franchise's success to block Lafreniere from PP1. And if the Rangers think Trocheck is, then there's a fundamental flaw within the organization and they deserve the mediocrity they sow.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017

Nah, tbh Trocheck's best spot isn't the bumper, it's netfront. It's where he played for years before coming here. The problem is Kreider is better there.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
30 year old Trocheck is not important enough to the franchise's success to block Lafreniere from PP1. And if the Rangers think Trocheck is, then there's a fundamental flaw within the organization and they deserve the mediocrity they sow.
The goal is to win games, but also develop talent. I’m not really for gifting PP1 time based on draft position. The kid hasn’t proven to be one of the 5 best options at this point. Getting garbage PP points isn’t going to suddenly make him a better player. It just stacks point totals to make people feel better about him. He should get his opportunity when he’s the best choice. I don’t see a kid constantly flashing out there who deserves a shot over a better and more established player.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
The goal is to win games, but also develop talent. I’m not really for gifting PP1 time based on draft position. The kid hasn’t proven to be one of the 5 best options at this point. Getting garbage PP points isn’t going to suddenly make him a better player. It just stacks point totals to make people feel better about him. He should get his opportunity when he’s the best choice. I don’t see a kid constantly flashing out there who deserves a shot over a better and more established player.
This is very true, unfortunately. I would say though that I think a coach like Gallant - assuming Gallant is as laissez-faire as we’re told he is - is not good for a young player trying to find his game. More structure could help Lafreniere blossom.

Reactions: Barnaby

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
He scored 19 even strength goals last year. With PP1 time and top 6 at even strength from the start he can score 30 goals as soon as next season.

Continue doing the same BS they've been doing for decades, but expecting different results is insanity.

Commit to the youth.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Sure the goal is to win games. The best long term way to win games is to develop Laf and Kakko.
The point isn't to get garbage pp points. The point is to let him have the puck when theres room to work. To actually get the chance to be creative to figure out how to attack.
Yeah it'll have bad moments, but long term over a season, it'll give someone who has tools, the concepts to make things work better at 5v5.

Its why you feed kids pp time.

Trocheck isn't gonna suddenly turn into a 40g scorer.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
People can disagree on a player.

The difference with Lafreniere is that people want him on PP1 because they want totals that make them feel better.

I want him there because I feel like it could help him get some traction and improve.

I think it's clear the Rangers' development of forwards is a big part of the problem. Without seeing what they are telling the guys in practice, the weight room, etc, this is what I identify as part of the development problem.

I think ultimately all the 'excuses' are not really disagreements that Laf hasn't been bad. He's been very underwhelming for where he was picked. It's trying to find how the team CAN help him get going.

I think also despite it being clear that he hasn't been very good, there are some numerical outputs that make you think, gee, if he could ever improve a bit and get put in the right spots, those numbers would look much nicer.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
One thing I want Lav to make known is that if a guy wants to be a first line forward or a first pairing dman they need to give 100%. Those guys need to lead by example. If they are gliding and not giving 100% then they are setting a horrible example. If a guy like Crosby can work as hard as he does then our guys have no excuse not to give a similar effort. If tired get off the ice. Don't take 60-90 second shifts while not giving a full effort.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: leetch99

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Seems like the Laf thread is now over here. Maybe open that one back up? By the way- he’s still not signed his putrid bridge deal!

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
and why exactly was the thread on #13 closed? does the moderator not have any semblance of a sense of humor? was he acting on a very stern request by someone in the rangers organization who disapproved of the comments made?

my reaction is the same as the one that i had at a job during my first week. there were three women that were constantly cursing in the office. it was great entertainment, and would make that first week go by relatively quick. everyday i had something amusing to look forward to. then the asshole business owner sent an office email that stated that the bad language would have to cease, saying that it was a bad reflection to clients who could hear the background during phone calls. reaction: nooooooo!!!!

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
and why exactly was the thread on #13 closed? does the moderator not have any semblance of a sense of humor? was he acting on a very stern request by someone in the rangers organization who disapproved of the comments made?

my reaction is the same as the one that i had at a job during my first week. there were three women that were constantly cursing in the office. it was great entertainment, and would make that first week go by relatively quick. everyday i had something amusing to look forward to. then the asshole business owner sent an office email that stated that the bad language would have to cease, saying that it was a bad reflection to clients who could hear the background during phone calls. reaction: nooooooo!!!!

Presumably because approximately 2% of the conversation in that thread towards the end was intelligent or useful, and they didn't want to have to deal with idiots getting flamed for saying dumb things.

--------------------------------------------------
While we have to see how it all gels & bears out on-ice, im cautiously optimistic about the direction of the current coaching staff.

Reactions: Kords

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad