OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Home of the Water-Logged Baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Love to see us clear the bases that inning. I don't have any stats to back this up, but it seems to me this team has struggled blowing games wide open. Bases loaded 1 out I was expecting us to maybe get 1 run out of it but the twins did us a favor there

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Cutch will only get credit for what he would've had before the errors correct? That doesn't seem HR worthy to me

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
Every home run I ever hit in my life was exactly that way :laugh:

I love those.

I know what you mean. :laugh:

Luckily I was blessed with being tall at a young age so I used to be able to hit them over the fence but as the fields became bigger I couldn't keep up so now in my beer league softball league that's pretty much the only way I get "HRs". :laugh: We don't keep stats but we still call those homers.:sarcasm:

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014

Luckily I was blessed with being tall at a young age so I used to be able to hit them over the fence but as the fields became bigger I couldn't keep up so now in my beer league softball league that's pretty much the only way I get "HRs". :laugh: We don't keep stats but we still call those homers.:sarcasm:

I play in a Roy Hobbs league. When you get older those 330 ft lines seem to be about 500 ft away. :laugh:

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
I play in a Roy Hobbs league. When you get older those 330 ft lines seem to be about 500 ft away. :laugh:

No idea what a Rob Hobbs league is but yeah our slow pitch league fields are 323 all the way around. No way I'm clearing that even with the wind to my back. I'll take the error home runs just the same though.

Assuming Liriano gets through this inning, who do you bring out for the 7th? I have a feeling we'll see Caminero but we all know how that could turn out.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

I was, how you say...tiny, but fast. I was the kid that had a .600+ batting average the first year I faced live pitching because I'd just hit a little dribbler to the left side of the infield and beat out the throw. Before I moved to pitcher I think I had 5 home runs, 4 involving multiple errors and another one a line drive that somehow made it to the trees at Ruthfred Park. I don't think I ever hit so much as a fly out to the outfield :laugh:

I was always pissed off they'd stick me in the outfield. It wasn't until later that I finally realized that speed + arm = outfield...I always wanted to play second base for some reason.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
No idea what a Rob Hobbs league is but yeah our slow pitch league fields are 323 all the way around. No way I'm clearing that even with the wind to my back. I'll take the error home runs just the same though.

Assuming Liriano gets through this inning, who do you bring out for the 7th? I have a feeling we'll see Caminero but we all know how that could turn out.

Its a recognized adult wooden bat baseball league here in the States. Mostly played by players with everything from high school, American Legion, and college ball experience. Though I have played with/against some minor leaguers and an occasional retired MLB player.

Played softball for years after I left for the service. All Army and Post Ft. Bragg. Even played for 4 different leagues in downtown Fayetteville NC. But once I discovered that a wood bat baseball league was around I haven't seen a softball since.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
I was, how you say...tiny, but fast. I was the kid that had a .600+ batting average the first year I faced live pitching because I'd just hit a little dribbler to the left side of the infield and beat out the throw. Before I moved to pitcher I think I had 5 home runs, 4 involving multiple errors and another one a line drive that somehow made it to the trees at Ruthfred Park. I don't think I ever hit so much as a fly out to the outfield :laugh:

I was always pissed off they'd stick me in the outfield. It wasn't until later that I finally realized that speed + arm = outfield...I always wanted to play second base for some reason.

I played catcher in baseball but in softball I play outfield because I'm fast and tall I'm pretty good at reading fly balls. I don't have an arm anymore but I still get by.

Its a recognized adult wooden bat baseball league here in the States. Mostly played by players with everything from high school, American Legion, and college ball experience. Though I have played with/against some minor leaguers and an occasional retired MLB player.

Played softball for years after I left for the service. All Army and Post Ft. Bragg. Even played for 4 different leagues in downtown Fayetteville NC. But once I discovered that a wood bat baseball league was around I haven't seen a softball since.

Nice, I haven't played baseball since high school. There's not much around other than senior league which I no longer have the arm for.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
I played catcher in baseball but in softball I play outfield because I'm fast and tall I'm pretty good at reading fly balls. I don't have an arm anymore but I still get by.

Nice, I haven't played baseball since high school. There's not much around other than senior league which I no longer have the arm for.

Thats the main reason I went from CF to 1st baseman. :laugh:

Edit: the feed is back. Thunderstorm moves on

Last edited:

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5

That walk in and out of the outfield is the WORST thing about playing outfield in softball. I'm also spoiled because I've progressed in reverse of 90% of softball players... started out at first base, moved to right field, moved to right center and finally have landed in left field.

You don't need a big arm in softball to play outfield, as long as you hit the cut off man and don't try to gun people like Vlad and give extra bases, any arm that can get the ball in is perfectly fine.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
Holy crap that's creepy....I have a shot at hitting a home run tonight. :laugh: Last year I spared in an Orthodox softball league and I just got a text to spare for them tonight. Their fielders are like 240 all the way around and the pitch comes in a lot faster than the lobs you get in slow pitch so a good swing can get you a HR. I hit a few last year. I probably won't hit one tonight since it's my first time playing this year but should still be fun. Playing out field there sucks though because there's a lot of strikeouts and ground balls compared to slow pitch where 90% of the batters hit the ball to the outfield.

You don't need a big arm in softball to play outfield, as long as you hit the cut off man and don't try to gun people like Vlad and give extra bases, any arm that can get the ball in is perfectly fine.

That's me. I'm accurate as heck, I haven't missed the cut off in like 4 years and 95% of the time I will hit their glove so they don't have an awkward turn. I'll occasionally gun a guy out at second trying to get a double but I have never and will never try to throw home.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
That's me. I'm accurate as heck, I haven't missed the cut off in like 4 years and 95% of the time I will hit their glove so they don't have an awkward turn. I'll occasionally gun a guy out at second trying to get a double but I have never and will never try to throw home.

The money I would pay to get that through the heads of a couple guys I play with.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

This is kind of interesting, Morse was involved in the trade, LA has no use for him.

And i could see the Pirates being a team that would be interested in Morse.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
The transition from learning to throw a baseball, to a softball and back to baseball is what I think finally did my arm in. I had a cannon at one time. In my early baseball leagues I was not only a CF but my teams top starting pitcher so runners knew not to try and take that extra base. Then I had to learn the different mechanics to throwing a softball and after yrs of that, transitioning back to baseball I tried gunning down a runner at the plate, felt something go in my shoulder and knew right then I no longer had the arm I once did.

Been a 1st baseman ever since.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
5 innings already in this game and that's not including all the misread ground balls that were hits. No wonder all of us are talking about our crappy local baseball leagues. :laugh:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Always an adventure with Bastardo on the mound...should have been out of the inning, instead he's pulled with the bases loaded.

It's amazing how awful pitchers are at throwing to second base.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
I love 1st base. Greatest position to play. I hate every game I play where I'm not there.

I love it too. I wouldn't go back to the OF anymore. Your just so much more involved in the game there and your decision making is deeper. I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad