OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Home of the Water-Logged Baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
KC is never out of a ballgame. They just continue to put up runs and get hits.

Its really strange how these two teams have been the past 20+ yrs. They are alike in so many ways. Both losing and winning.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
I'm just glad to be going into the bottom of the 9th with a minimum of a three run lead.

Melancon with a 1 run lead against this team scares me.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Not an easy one tonight but they managed to get back in the win column.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Cervelli's injury may make for some interesting decisions. I would be perfectly ok with Stewart as the starter with Diaz up from AAA to spell him once in awhile.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Considering the Penguins sad division record last season, it is kinda weird to see the Pirates be the third ranked team in the league and own all other divisions than their own.... 37-14 vs. 17-24.
This while being dead even with the run-away Cards in the NL Central (5-5)... I mean how illogical is that? Seems too many games to not be somewhat significant statistically.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
Considering the Penguins sad division record last season, it is kinda weird to see the Pirates be the third ranked team in the league and own all other divisions than their own.... 37-14 vs. 17-24.
This while being dead even with the run-away Cards in the NL Central (5-5)... I mean how illogical is that? Seems too many games to not be somewhat significant statistically.

What does this have to do with Sid and the boys? :laugh:

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
To be fair to the Pirates, this is baseball's toughest division by far. All 5 teams are solid. The Brewers have been playing well for a while now despite their horrendous start, the Reds are tough, the Cubs have a potent offense and the Cardinals are the Cardinals.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
With Oakland looking like they're going to be sellers, I wonder what they'd be looking for in return for Lawrie.

Above average glove at 3rd (and some time at 2nd). A little bit of pop, though not as much as you'd like from a corner guy. Aggressive base runner. Strike out have spiked this season, but generally has a 17% K rate and walks less than league average (6.1%). His OPS+ and wRC+ both usually sit slightly above league average to average. Plays the game with reckless abandon and gives everything he has on every pitch. Can be a bit of a hot head, though, and could be a weird addition to the clubhouse.

25 years old with 2 more arbitration years left. $1.9mil this year.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The rotation is fine as long as Liriano isn't significantly hurt. However, it seems possible that acquiring a starting pitcher might not take a ton because so many are becoming available, so that could prove interesting. I'd much rather go for a big impact pitcher than a solid guy, because both Morton and Locke are well capable of solid pitching and already here. And I'm not sure either one profiles well as the long-man in the bullpen, although Morton had a brief stint a few years ago where he was almost unhittable.

Given the injuries and the perennial consistency problems, I think the focus has to be on a bat. I like the idea of targeting Revere as a 4th OF, although things become complicated if the evaluation of Polanco is that we need a replacement or platoon, because Revere wouldn't be good in that role. But he's great as a 4th option and pinch runner.

Mainly I'm just dreaming of the most improbable trade of them all for Tulo. This deadline seems even more wild west than normal... I have no idea what kind of deals are going to happen, other than a solid handful of guys who definitely seem like they will be traded (to one of five or more teams...).

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Do you feel safe with the Pirates' current rotation?

Yes...ish.

Tulo is destined for the Mets.

*Yankees

If the cost is reasonable I'm not against getting another rotation arm, but assuming Liriano's injury isn't serious we're generally fine there. You need 3 #2 starters or better for the playoffs and we have that. 4th outfielder is something that should be addressed, and shouldn't cost a ton as long as the bidding wars don't trickle down to that level of player. Otherwise...I don't know. There are so few short stops out there that getting one for the ~6 weeks we'll be without Mercer isn't going to happen, and the market at third isn't much better. Explore the market and see if something can be done, but I'm not expecting much there. The Pirates promptly moving Alen Hanson to third base says more than anything to me.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
There are rumors that Detroit is going to be sellers.

Should be a fun deadline with Cueto Hamels and maybe Price on the market.

I have a feeling Dodgers will get one of them which will give then an amazing rotation for the playoffs.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
hard not to feel a bit better about polanco. he is consistently having better at bats, going more often to the opposite field, and still facing what seems like a ridiculous strike zone. did not enjoy his misplay in the field last night and noodle throw.

will say that after watching that whole game on sunday, the mets should trade one of their big 3 for a similarly aged impact bat. that offense is simply atrocious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad