OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Home of the Water-Logged Baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
I seriously wouldn't mind Tabata as the RF platoon if we really need one. Guy has a good average and isn't the super mega-****** p.o.s that many believe.

I'm in agreement that Tabata isn't as horrible as some think. He seems a serviceable enough player with an average 4th outfielder kind of bat. Why do the Pirates seem to hate him? What makes them prefer guys like Lambo, Gorkys Hernandez, Cory Hart, etc?
Not sure I get it.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I'm in agreement that Tabata isn't as horrible as some think. He seems a serviceable enough player with an average 4th outfielder kind of bat. Why do the Pirates seem to hate him? What makes them prefer guys like Lambo, Gorkys Hernandez, Cory Hart, etc?
Not sure I get it.

I don't know why they sent him down in the first place. I'm far from a Tabata fan but I much rather have him on the bench than the guys you mentioned.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
How is this worthy of review?

Off the top of the wall and over the fence, not complicated.

And it's a double!? How the **** is that not a hr!?

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
I'm sure the reasoning is that it didn't hit the top of the wall, it hit a couple feet down.

Not that that makes any sense whatsoever, but that will be the reason.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I'm sure the reasoning is that it didn't hit the top of the wall, it hit a couple feet down.

Not that that makes any sense whatsoever, but that will be the reason.

It has to be one of the ground rules at Kauffman Stadium. Normally, if a ball hits any part of the wall and bounces over the fence without hitting the ground it is a hr. There's no rule in the mlb rule book that says it has to hit the top of the wall.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Too bad about Vargas - never like to see that... looked pretty ugly.

For trades, I really like the idea of Zobrist, who brings a ton of flexibility, but it may take too much. Then again, Beane has made some very bad trades before, so who knows what they'd want from us.

I am also firmly anti-Upton. Just let Polanco play if that's the case... I'm generally pro-Polanco playing every day, though I do like the Cespedes idea whygavs keeps floating.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Too bad about Vargas - never like to see that... looked pretty ugly.

For trades, I really like the idea of Zobrist, who brings a ton of flexibility, but it may take too much. Then again, Beane has made some very bad trades before, so who knows what they'd want from us.

I am also firmly anti-Upton. Just let Polanco play if that's the case... I'm generally pro-Polanco playing every day, though I do like the Cespedes idea whygavs keeps floating.

Cespedes is horrendously overrated and will cost far too much. I want no part of him. There's a reason he's been on 3 teams in 2 seasons.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
No comment tells me there is no ground rule that says that's a double. If it was a ground rule they would just say that.

They decided it shouldn't be a hr because it didn't hit the very top of the wall so they called it a double. There's no rule or ground rule which makes that a double, but they decided it was a double.

Unfortunately it is not part of the replay umpire's duties to create new rules how they see fit. If the Pirates lose, they should protest as they are entitled to do in the case of an improper ruling.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
No comment?? Unreal. Here I thought the instant replay would be a good thing.:shakehead

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
WHat I don't get is... if there isn't a black and white rule - how can you change it? The call on the field was home run. I could see if it was called a double. It was called a home run.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Cespedes is horrendously overrated and will cost far too much. I want no part of him. There's a reason he's been on 3 teams in 2 seasons.

Maybe you aren't reading whygavs, but concomitant with what I said is his (accurate) estimation of what Cespedes' trade value would be.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
WHat I don't get is... if there isn't a black and white rule - how can you change it? The call on the field was home run. I could see if it was called a double. It was called a home run.

It seems they just decided it was a double because reasons.

There is nothing in the ground rules that says that's a double. The review official simply created his own rule apparently. Sickening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad