OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Home of the Water-Logged Baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
At this point I think seeking a platoon option to pair with Polanco is something only writers are looking at...his play has improved greatly over the past month. Getting a platoon option for him would be a costly luxury...getting a Revere-type strict true #4 is the far better option.

As for my comments before saying I'd prefer Marte to Upton...Upton's rating was slashed in MLB The Show to be equal to Marte's :P

Trading for Justin Upton would be the single stupidest thing this team could do.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
I feel the Pirates should go after Justin Upton

regardless of position, paying up for a guy with a bad approach at the plate is not what i want to see the pirates do. i would take a guy with doubles power and a solid K:BB over upton every time.

Pete Gas

Jul 10, 2012
I'm just being stupid lol after the rumor the other day, Outfield is the least of their worries.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Logic and the Mets are two things that don't belong in the same room, I just don't trust that team to make a realistic offer for a guy like Tulowitzki.

Herrera + Bonilla

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
The Mets are chomping at the bit for Tulo. I don't think the Yanks could match a Mets offer of Cecchini, d'Arnaud and one of their young pitchers as a starting point.

giving up a young pitcher for 30 year old tulo does not seem like the way to maximize the value of those young arms.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Logic and the Mets are two things that don't belong in the same room, I just don't trust that team to make a realistic offer for a guy like Tulowitzki.

Herrera + Bonilla

They made at least 2 solid offers for Tulo last offseason. I don't see why they wouldn't still be in for him now.

giving up a young pitcher for 30 year old tulo does not seem like the way to maximize the value of those young arms.

I'm not saying it's a perfect move for them (or him), but the Mets are hot for him and will be one of the final 2 teams in talks if he does get traded.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
my nightmare scenario involves one of the mets big 3 going to the cubs

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The Rockies would be morons to not trade him...trade him now while he's still a top 5 player in the league...a 30 year-old short stop with an injury history that needs to be shrunk to 8 point Times New Roman to fit on one printed page sure as hell isn't going to gain any more value than he has right now.

I'd love to see the Mets trade their future for a guy who can't stay healthy with ~$100 million left on his contract.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Pirates have, apparently, inquired about Cliff Pennington (Ari), Clint Barmes (SD) and everyone's favorite, Zobrist (Oak)

Sidenote- On my way in to work this morning all three hosts on The Fan's morning show were begging for Barmes (and Tabata, but that's a different, weirder conversation).

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Competitive Balance Lottery picks are drawn tomorrow. These are the picks between Round 1 Comp picks and Round 2 (round A) and then Round 2 Comp picks and Round 3 (Round B). Six picks are drawn for A and six are drawn for B. The six teams, from the list below, that don't get a Round A pick have a chance to get a Round B pick (with Baltimore, Minnesota and Seattle added to the drawing because they received revenue sharing money).

Pirates have a 4.5% chance of drawing a Round A pick. Cards have a 3.9% chance (and got one last season).

Chances of getting a Round A pick- Arizona (18.2), Colorado (16.5), Cincy (9.5), Miami. San Diego, Tampa (all have 8.9), Milwaukee (6.6%), Cleveland (5.4), Oakland (4.5), Pittsburgh (4.5), Kansas City (4.2) and St Louis (3.9).

These are the only draft picks that can be traded, but also help increase the team's draft spending pool.

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
I wouldn't mind seeing the Pirates bring back Ramirez, he got off to a terrible start, but hes been red hot the last few weeks.

This. His splits show he's been a significantly better second half hitter during his career. Given the choice of Kang at short for 6 weeks with ARam at third versus adding offensive black holes like Barmes or Pennington to a team already sporting the various likes of Sean Rodriguez, Brent Morel, Travis Ishikawa (last night's performance not withstanding), Jaff Decker, Gorkys Hernandez, and Jose Tabata please give me a guy who can actually hit such as ARam.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
This. His splits show he's been a significantly better second half hitter during his career. Given the choice of Kang at short for 6 weeks with ARam at third versus adding offensive black holes like Barmes or Pennington to a team already sporting the various likes of Sean Rodriguez, Brent Morel, Travis Ishikawa (last night's performance not withstanding), Jaff Decker, Gorkys Hernandez, and Jose Tabata please give me a guy who can actually hit such as ARam.

Adding Ramirez would also allow you to use Harrison in right field to platoon with Polanco once Harrison is healthy.

You could fix two holes by adding Ramirez or someone like him.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
1. Gregory Polanco (L) RF
2. Neil Walker (S) 2B
3. Andrew McCutchen (R) CF
4. Starling Marte (R) LF
5. Jung Ho Kang (R) SS
6. Pedro Alvarez (L) DH
7. Brent Morel (R) 3B
8. Chris Stewart (R) C
9. Sean Rodriguez (R) 1B

1. Alcides Escobar (R) SS
2. Mike Moustakas (L) 3B
3. Lorenzo Cain (R) CF
4. Eric Hosmer (L) 1B
5. Kendrys Morales (S) DH
6. Salvador Perez (R) C
7. Omar Infante (R) 2B
8. Alex Rios (R) RF
9. Jarrod Dyson (L) LF

After Ishikawa game last night i'd definitly rather see him in the lineup over Morel or Rodriguez.

Lefty's hit Vargas better.

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
Adding Ramirez would also allow you to use Harrison in right field to platoon with Polanco once Harrison is healthy.

You could fix two holes by adding Ramirez or someone like him.

Zobrist is the only guy I'm aware of that is reportedly available that could provide that kind of versatility. I suspect he'd cost more than ARam though as a number of teams have been mentioned as having an interest in him. Any other suggestions or possibilities I might be overlooking?

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
They don't need to trade for versatility, they need to trade for a lineup upgrade.

Zobrist can play short, but all the numbers on his 200+ games there grade out in the negatives (he doesn't save runs there, he costs you runs there). He doesn't play 3rd base. So I don't see the big clamor for him.

I'd much rather go for a 3 bagger like ARam (what a sweet story it would be to have him come back and make a WS run with Pittsburgh), Lawire, or Asche (if you want some position flexibility).

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
They don't need to trade for versatility, they need to trade for a lineup upgrade.

Zobrist can play short, but all the numbers on his 200+ games there grade out in the negatives (he doesn't save runs there, he costs you runs there). He doesn't play 3rd base. So I don't see the big clamor for him.

I'd much rather go for a 3 bagger like ARam (what a sweet story it would be to have him come back and make a WS run with Pittsburgh), Lawire, or Asche (if you want some position flexibility).

I like ARam better than Zobrist but his ability to switch hit play SS, 2B, 1B or a corner outfield spot (he's played all of those at the MLB level) and not be a Mendoza line candidate at the plate would put him as a lineup upgrade at several positions on at least a platoon basis.

I don't know who Lawire is but if it's Cody Asche that you're referring to I'd just as soon give Brent Morel a shot than give up any assets for the likes of him and his .278 OBP.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I like ARam better than Zobrist but his ability to switch hit play SS, 2B, 1B or a corner outfield spot (he's played all of those at the MLB level) and not be a Mendoza line candidate at the plate would put him as a lineup upgrade at several positions on at least a platoon basis.

I don't know who Lawire is but if it's Cody Asche that you're referring to I'd just as soon give Brent Morel a shot than give up any assets for the likes of him and his .278 OBP.

Brett Lawire, 3B OAK, Right Handed

I only mention Asche because he's currently surplus requirements in Philly with Franco being ready and raking, so it's been rumored that he'd be able to be had for a swap of struggling prospects. He's young enough to tap into the power he showed in the minors and last season. He'd be easy to move to the bench when Mercer and/or Harrison come back and would also give you the ability move to the outfield. Not my #1 option, not even my #3 option, but I wouldn't pass him up if he's being shopped for cheap.

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
Brett Lawire, 3B OAK, Right Handed

I only mention Asche because he's currently surplus requirements in Philly with Franco being ready and raking, so it's been rumored that he'd be able to be had for a swap of struggling prospects. He's young enough to tap into the power he showed in the minors and last season. He'd be easy to move to the bench when Mercer and/or Harrison come back and would also give you the ability move to the outfield. Not my #1 option, not even my #3 option, but I wouldn't pass him up if he's being shopped for cheap.

OK Brett Lawrie!! Where's my dyslexia when I need it? Yeah Lawrie would be a nice option if available. His age and contract status suggest he'd command a significant return though. I think ARam would likely provide a similar upgrade and cost less.

I'll grant you Asche might be better than Sean Rodriguez or Brent Morel for 6 weeks at 3B but I would prefer someone a lot better if we're making a deal for anyone. As you suggest I think he belongs way down the preferred options list.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
If the Pirates want to make a splash and spend the assets to bring in a long term option at 3B or SS, I'm all for it. I'm not for them spending a lot of assets to bring in a #4 OF or a platoon 1B.

I don't see JHay as a long term 3B. I see his best position at 2nd and super utility guy. He can not have a solid position like last year and still find 450 to 500 ABs. Kang looks like he can fit in at either SS or 3B, so wherever you see Kang fitting in for the next 3 years, I would spend the assets to fill the other position.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I seriously wouldn't mind Tabata as the RF platoon if we really need one. Guy has a good average and isn't the super mega-****** p.o.s that many believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad