Injury Report: Quinton Byfield out indefinitely with ankle injury

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I don't think that's what that means. I don't want him to have a poor tournament, but even if he did, that wouldn't mean his career's in jeopardy or something.

Agreed. It's always encouraging when prospects do well in a tournament, but it's never defining.

Reactions: kilowatt

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Ugh. Too much BS to deal with if he's in the WJC. The arguments I anticipate

- a 2nd overall pick playing in the WJC in his D+2 = bust
- getting 10 points in the tourney instead of 11+ = bust
- dominating on a stacked Canadian team = passenger = bust

People will watch him and pretend to know what they're talking about. I'd rather them not watch him and pretend to know what they're talking about. Like people admitting "I didn't know Dustin Brown was still playing lolz"

To add on this, he'll be coming off a pretty big injury, not having really played any games at all save for a few preseason ones. Most of his peers will be at 20+ games or so when the WJC starts.

Given the rep he has on big stage games, it's setting up a potential cluster f*** on the main boards.

Eagle Fang

Oct 12, 2005
Byfield going to the worlds would be pointless. If he's cleared to play, it should be in LA, not farting around with a bunch of kids at Christmas.

Very much agree. Given where Byfield is at this point in his career, it's better to have him with LA/ONT. Never know what could happen, just look at Kupari.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
No thanks. No more dicking around with Under 20 coaching. Like how Byfield was driving play and creating chances for Team Canada in the last tournament yet was never put in position to really succeed. Then the coaching staff finally gives him the chance and hoping he'd come up hero after the USA had nullified Cozens all Gold Medal game. F that.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Who cares what internet idiots like us have to say, the WJCs are a good barometer for talent and coming off a long layoff Byfield deserves the opportunity to build up his reputation not only as a junior but establish himself as a presence for future international tournaments. Those DO matter to players.

If he was a major contributing factor to his NHL team then it would make sense to deny the invitation, but he is coming off of an injury and its the perfect opportunity to play meaningful games while not affecting the Kings.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
No thanks. No more dicking around with Under 20 coaching. Like how Byfield was driving play and creating chances for Team Canada in the last tournament yet was never put in position to really succeed. Then the coaching staff finally gives him the chance and hoping he'd come up hero after the USA had nullified Cozens all Gold Medal game. F that.
I agree, its heads they win tails he loses. I prefer keeping him under the radar a bit and let him advance quietly -- as a pro.

Eagle Fang

Oct 12, 2005
Never know what could happen, just look at Byfield.

For sure and injuries can happen at any time in any situation. However, does it make sense to run the risk of him getting injured in a junior tournament given where he's at? Byfield was going to start in the NHL this season. And yes, I understand that from an overall standpoint, getting hurt in the WJC or in the NHL is ultimately the same, but there's a whole line of reasoning as to why it isn't.

Really though it's just a matter of opinion. Some teams let their players go. Some teams prefer not to.

Mine is, he's played 2 WJCs already. He's ready to start his NHL career.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I think QB is due back on the ice as soon as the end of the month. He’ll probably need a month to get in NHL game shape and get his timing back.

So by end of the year, he could be ready to play NHL games. I think that’s the priority. Getting him ready for some Canadian high schooler tournament shouldn’t be a major factor.

Now if he’s playing at an AHL level at the same time camp is happening for Canada in December, then I think you let the player go if he wants to and is selected.

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
You can't worry about injuries. They are just flukes. Ask Robert Woods, who was just running a simple route in practice and blew out his ACL, or Max Muncy, who had his left arm ripped off on a chopper in front of the plate. It happens and you can't worry about. Byfield needs to get back in game shape, wherever and how long it takes.....who knows.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
If your goal in life has always been playing in the NHL, would you bypass that to play in the WJC??

Byfield, Vilardi and Kaliyev should be in Ontario through the end of this year..
B for conditioning, V for confidence and K to continue growing his game… then see who has fallen off in LA, which kid can replace that player and then make a roster move

Eagle Fang

Oct 12, 2005
If your goal in life has always been playing in the NHL, would you bypass that to play in the WJC??

Byfield, Vilardi and Kaliyev should be in Ontario through the end of this year..
B for conditioning, V for confidence and K to continue growing his game… then see who has fallen off in LA, which kid can replace that player and then make a roster move

The only problem, and I don't know if it's actually a problem, is that ONT would be absolutely stacked to the point where you have top line (AHL) players playing on the 4th line haha!

Reactions: Ray Martyniuk

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Bufield should play where he's going to log the most Ice time...if that means World Juniors so be it! I've been a firm believer that players should play a tonne and given top 6 minutes wherever they play. The fact the Kings loaded the AHL with top flight talent was short sighted. Kupari in the AHL was not a wise move. As a first rounder(20 overall) he should be a top 7 forward at worst if not that's on the development staff and the GM for bringing him over too soon...T Selanne came over when he was ready and potted 76 goals as a rookie. Players are better served turning pro at the NHL level at 22-24 unless you're C McSavior

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
Byfield was injured because he was rushed to the NHL. He shouldn't have been playing preseason for the Kings. He should've been playing preseason for the Reign. The kid's gotta develop.

TwzKing

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2004
Byfield was injured because he was rushed to the NHL. He shouldn't have been playing preseason for the Kings. He should've been playing preseason for the Reign. The kid's gotta develop.

LOL stop it. He was doing what literally any prospect would have been. Playing in preseason games, and maybe even some regular-season games. If he were still part of the old rules, it would have been 9 games then back to the OHL or stay with the team. This is standard nothing odd or groundbreaking

Reactions: kingsfan

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
This is sarcasm surely…
No it's not sarcasm. Byfield playing throughout the preseason represents everything that's wrong with this organization. Rushing players. Are you gonna be happy when QB is relegated to the 3rd line for the rest of his career? Just look at management now. Doughty's injured, Walker's injured, Arvy's on Covid protocol as well as Vilardi. Sounds like Kings management is just burying their problems and looking to cover their asses for a poor performing team. "Yes Drew, you're injured aren't you (nodding head). We'll say 8 weeks and then you're back, OK?" That's what's happening here. Blake is just looking for excuses. He doesn't know what he's doing, neither does anybody else. TM just tries to make the best with what he's got, and what he's got is crap. You ready for a 3rd line of aa - Turcotte - Byfield? The grinding line? Well it's coming. Blake needs to go. I'm calling it now. He needs to go before he ruins QBs development and Turcotte's development.

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
No it's not sarcasm. Byfield playing throughout the preseason represents everything that's wrong with this organization. Rushing players. Are you gonna be happy when QB is relegated to the 3rd line for the rest of his career? Just look at management now. Doughty's injured, Walker's injured, Arvy's on Covid protocol as well as Vilardi. Sounds like Kings management is just burying their problems and looking to cover their asses for a poor performing team. "Yes Drew, you're injured aren't you (nodding head). We'll say 8 weeks and then you're back, OK?" That's what's happening here. Blake is just looking for excuses. He doesn't know what he's doing, neither does anybody else. TM just tries to make the best with what he's got, and what he's got is crap. You ready for a 3rd line of aa - Turcotte - Byfield? The grinding line? Well it's coming. Blake needs to go. I'm calling it now. He needs to go before he ruins QBs development and Turcotte's development.
I think you were left in the womb too long.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019

Andy Kaufman-esque commitment to the character

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
You are just trolling now or on some really good weed.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad